Subject: CND Summer Olympics Special Issue, July 27, 1992

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1992 23:39:15 -0500

* * *  C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  * * *

                             (News Global)

                   Special Issue on 1992 Summer Olympics

                         Monday, July 27, 1992

Table of Contents                                               # of Lines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. A List of The Chinese Medalists and The Events for July 26 & 27......25
2. Overall Medals Standings (As of 07/27 21:00 EST U.S. Time)...........30
3. Oh, to Be 13 and a Gold Medalist! - The Star of the Summer Olympics..70
4. Scores and Standings in Gymnastics, Basketball and Baseball..........55
5. Summer Olympics: Monday's Medal Winners .............................55
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. A List of The Chinese Medalists and The Events for July 26 & 27......25
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Zuofeng Li and Bo Xiong
Source: Based on network news as of July 27  21:00 CDT (U.S. Time)

7/26:
Medals of the day: Gold  Silver  Bronze Total
                     1      3      0     4

ZHUANG Yong: Gold. Women's 100m freestyle swim
LIN Li     : Sliver. Women's 400m individual medley swim
WANG Yifu  : Silver. Men's free-pistol.
LIU Qisheng: Silver. Flyweight (52kg) weightlifting

7/27:
Medals of the day: Gold  Silver  Bronze Total
                     2      3      1     6

FU Mingxia : Gold. Women's platform diving.
ZHUANG Xiaoyan: Gold. Judo, women's heavyweight.
LIU Shoubin: Silver. Bantamweight weightlifting
LI Duihong : Silver. Women's sport-pistol
LIN Li     : Silver. Women's 200m breaststroke
LUO Jianming: Bronze. Bantamweight weightlifting

Grand Total of the first two days of the Barcelona Summer Olympics::
3 Golds, 6 Silvers, and 1 Bronze. 10 medals altogether.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Overall Medals Standings (As of 07/27 21:00 EST U.S. Time)...........30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Huijie and Charlie Li
Source: AP-DJ    07/27

           (THROUGH 21 EVENTS)
COUNTRY       GOLD SILVER BRONZE TOTAL
China            3      6      1    10
United States    3      2      5    10
Unified Team     6      1      0     7
Germany          1      1      3     5
France           0      2      3     5
Hungary          2      1      1     4
Australia        1      1      1     3
Japan            1      1      1     3
Sweden           0      2      1     3
South Korea      2      0      0     2
Bulgaria         1      1      0     2
Italy            0      1      1     2
Spain            1      0      0     1
Poland           0      1      0     1
Cuba             0      1      0     1
Independent Team (Yugoslavia)
                 0      0      1     1
Finland          0      0      1     1
Netherlands      0      0      1     1
Romania          0      0      1     1
Mongalia         0      0      1     1
Surinam          0      0      1     1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Oh, to Be 13 and a Gold Medalist! - The Star of the Summer Olympics..70
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) From: Charlie Li
   Source: AP

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) _ The star of Day 3 of the Summer Olympics:

   WHO
   Fu Mingxia of Wuhan, China, who won the women's 10-meter platform diving
event.

   Fu will be 14 on Aug. 16, one week after the Games end.  Only 94 pounds
and just under 5 feet tall, she was the youngest competitor in the diving
events.

   WHAT
   Fu won by 49.8 points, clinching the victory before the last of her eight
dives. She had the highest score in four of the first seven rounds and the
highest individual score on the most difficult dive of the afternoon, a back
3 1/2 somersault in the tuck position.

   WHY
   "It's her precision. If you watch her practice, time and time again, she
doesn't miss very much. And she's disciplined." _ Bronze medalist Mary Ellen
Clark of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
                         ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___

2) From: [email-masked] (Chongyu Hua)
   Source: UPI, 07/27/92

BARCELONA, Spain (UPI) -- She is all of 13 years old and has won a world
championship and now an Olympic gold medal. Where exactly does China's
Fu Mingxia go from here?

One place she won't be going is to the next World Championships. She has been
declared too young.

On Monday, the Chinese adolescent easily won the women's 10-meter platform
event. She led Mary Ellen Clark of the United States 179.28 to 176.37 after
the cumpulsories, then widened her lead. Fu beat runner-up Elena Mirochina
of the Unified Team 461.43 to 411.63. Clark, nearly 17 years older than Fu,
took the bronze.

Fu's domination of the event was so complete she could have won even if she
had skipped any of her first four dives.

"She is so strong that we have to practically give up the gold medal,
"Mirochina said. "She wins everything, so I have to be happy with second."

Fu's early competition came from teammate Zhu Jinhong, a grizzled 15-year-old.
Zhu was in second place with one dive to go, but faltered badly on her final
attempt and finished fourth. Zhu had only 37.44 points on her final attempt
to 66.24 for Fu.

Both are to compete in the women's springboard event starting Saturday.

Fu won the 1991 World Championships in Perth, Australia, at the tender age
of 12. But now the age limit has been changed, and Fu will have to wait.

"I can't worry about the things I can't control," she said. "But I can
control what I do when I dive."

Clark, of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., marveled at Fu's dedication and discipline.

"She's so precise in what she does, even in practice," the American said.
"She's taken the art of diving and really turned it into a science as well."

Fu is not the youngest gold medalist in the history of the Olympics.  That
distinction goes to an unidentified French rower in 1900, a boy listed as
between 7 and 10 years old.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Scores and Standings in Gymnastics, Basketball and Baseball..........55
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Huijie
Source: DJ  07/27

Men's Gymnastics:
The Unified team lead after the first phase of the two-part team competition.
It has 292.650 points.  China is second with 290.025, followed by Japan and
Germany.  The U.S. team finished the day in fifth place, but is too
far back to have serious medal hopes.

Women's Gymnastics:
The Unified team leads the women's team competition, which will be decided
after Tuesday's optional exercises, by a half-point over the U.S.  Romania
is in third, followed by China and Spain.

Summer Olympics: Basketball Scores, Standings

                GROUP A
                     W     L
GERMANY              2     0
CROATIA              1     1
UNITED STATES        2     0
ANGOLA               0     2
BRAZIL               0     1
SPAIN                0     1

                 GROUP B
                     W     L
LITHUANIA            2     0
AUSTRALIA            1     0
UNIFIED TEAM         1     0
PUERTO RICO          1     1
CHINA                0     2
VENEZUELA            0     2

            SUNDAY'S RESULTS
    U.S. 116, ANGOLA 48
    UNIFIED TEAM 78, VENEZUELA 64
    LITHUANIA 112, CHINA 75
    AUSTRALIA 116, PUERTO RICO 76
    GERMANY 83, SPAIN 74
    CROATIA 93, BRAZIL 76

Summer Olympics: Baseball Scores, Standings (07/27)
                      W     L
UNITED STATES         2     0
CUBA                  2     0
JAPAN                 1     0
TAIWAN                1     1
SPAIN                 0     1
PUERTO RICO           0     1
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC    0     1
ITALY                 0     2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Summer Olympics: Monday's Medal Winners .............................55
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Huijie
Source:  DJ    07/27

                         SHOOTING
                    WOMEN'S SPORT PISTOL
Gold -- Marina Logvinenko, Unified team   Silver -- Li Duihong, China
Bronze -- Dorzhsuren Munkhbayar, Mongolia

                       MEN'S AIR RIFLE
Gold -- Yuri Fedkine, Unified team     Silver -- Franck Badiou, France
Bronze -- Hans Riederer, Germany

                          DIVING
                     WOMEN'S PLATFORM
Gold -- Fu Mingxia, China       Silver -- Elena Mirochina, Unified team
Bronze -- Mary Ellen Clark, U.S.

                         SWIMMING
                 MEN'S 100-METER BUTTERFLY
Gold -- Pablo Morales, U.S.        Silver -- Rafal Szukala, Poland
Bronze -- Anthony Nesty, Surinam

               WOMEN'S 200-METER FREESTYLE
Gold -- Nicole Haislett, U.S.   Silver -- Franzicka van Almsick, Germany
Bronze -- Kirsten Kielgass, Germany

               MEN'S 400-METER INDIVIDUAL MEDLEY
Gold -- Tamas Darnyi, Hungary      Silver -- Eric Namesnik, U.S.
Bronze -- Luca Sacchi, Italy

                WOMEN'S 200-METER BREAST STROKE
Gold -- Kyoko Iwasaki, Japan      Silver -- Lin Li, China
Bronze -- Anita Nall, U.S.

              MEN'S 4 X 200-METER FREESTYLE RELAY
Gold -- Unified team         Silver -- Sweden
Bronze -- U.S. (Joe Hudepohl, Melvin Stewart, Jon Olsen, Doug Gjersten)

                      WEIGHTLIFTING
                      BANTAMWEIGHT
Gold -- Chun Byung-Kwan, South Korea      Silver -- Liu Shoubin, China
Bronze -- Luo Jianming, China

                        CYCLING
              MEN'S 1,000-METER TIME TRIAL
Gold -- Jose Moreno, Spain      Silver -- Shane Kelly, Australia
Bronze -- Erin Hartwell, United States

                         JUDO
                   WOMEN'S HEAVYWEIGHT
Gold -- Zhuang Xiao-Yan, China   Silver -- Estela Rodriguez Villanueva, Cuba
Bronze -- Natalia Lupino, France and Yoko Sakaue, Japan

                    MEN'S HEAVYWEIGHT
Gold -- David Khakhaleichvili, Unified team     Silver -- Naoya Ogawa, Japan
Bronze -- David Douillet, France and Imre Csosz, Hungary

+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|             Executive Editor:      Bo Xiong        (U.S.A.)            |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                 |
|  (1) Global News (Daily)            (2) US Regional News               |
|  (3) Canada Regional News           (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News |
|  (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (Weekly Chinese Magazine)                        |
|  (6) Several Information Packages                                      |
| For subscription information, mail to:   [email-masked]   |
| News contributions should be sent to:  [email-masked]   |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+