Subject: CND Summer Olympics Special Issue (IV), July 31, 1992

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1992 23:32:13 -0500

* * *  C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  * * *

                             (News Global)

                  Special Issue on 1992 Summer Olympics (IV)

                         Friday, July 31, 1992

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. July 30: China Won Gold, Silver, and Bronzes ......................... 21
2. China's Medal Count with Events & Names: July 26-30....................55
3. Results of Other Events with Chinese Presence ........................ 21
4. Medal Winners of Thursday, July 30 ................................... 60
5. Total Medal Standings in the 25th Olympics as of Jul 30 .............. 38
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. July 30: China Won Gold, Silver, and Bronzes ......................... 21
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From:  Jian Liu, Huijie, Charlie Li
Source: Compiled from News Agencies

Thursday, July 30 is a glorious day for Chinese swimmer LIN Li, when she won
the gold medal in WOMEN'S 200 METER INDIVIDUAL MEDLEY, adding to her 2
silver medals already won in the last few days in the XXV Summer Olympics.

Lin Li won the gold medal for this event in a world-record time of 2:11.65.
She broke the mark of 2:11.73 set by East German Ute Geweniger in 1981.
Summmer Sanders of U.S. and Daniela Hunger of Germany won the silver and
bronze medals respectively.

China's Wang Huifeng won the silver medal in WOMEN'S FOIL FENCING. Italy's
Giovanna Trillini won the gold medal of the event while the bronze medal
went to Tatiana Sadovskaia of the Unified team.

Zhang Di shared the bronze medal in WOMEN'S 134 POUND JUDO COMPETITION with
Elena Petrova of the Unified team. Catherine Fleury of France won the gold
medal and Yael Arad of Israel won the silver medal.

News agencies' medal standings of the games listed China as having won an
additional bronze medal in today's events, though the particular event
escapes the editor of this report.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. China's Medal Count with Events & Names: July 26-30....................55
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: Bo Xiong & Zuofeng Li
Source: Compiled from news services

7/26:
Medals of the day: Gold  Silver  Bronze Total
                     1      3      0     4

ZHUANG Yong: Gold. Women's 100m freestyle swim
LIN Li     : Sliver. Women's 400m individual medley swim
WANG Yifu  : Silver. Men's free-pistol.
LIU Qisheng: Silver. Flyweight (52kg) weightlifting

7/27:
Medals of the day: Gold  Silver  Bronze Total
                     2      3      1     6

FU Mingxia : Gold. Women's platform diving
ZHUANG Xiaoyan: Gold. Judo, women's heavyweight
LIU Shoubin: Silver. Bantamweight weightlifting
LI Duihong : Silver. Women's sport-pistol
LIN Li     : Silver. Women's 200m breaststroke
LUO Jianming: Bronze. Bantamweight weightlifting

7/28:
Medals of the day: Gold  Silver  Bronze Total
                     2      1      1     4

WANG Yifu  : Gold. Men's air pistol
ZHANG Shan : Gold. Open skeet shooting
China      : Silver. Women's 4 X 100M Freestyle Relay
HE Yingqiang: Bronze. Featherweight weightlifting

7/29:
Medals of the day: Gold  Silver  Bronze Total
                     1      2      0     3

QIAN Hong   : Gold. Women's 100 meter butterfly swim
TANG Liangde: Silver. Men's 3 meter springboard diving
Men's Team  : Silver. Men's gymnastics team competition

7/30:
Medals of the day: Gold  Silver  Bronze Total
                     1      1      2     4

LIN Li       : Gold. Women's 200-meter individual medley
WANG Huifeng : Silver. Women's foil fencing
ZHANG Di     : Bronze. Judo, women's 134-pound division
?????????    : Bronze.  ????????

[Editor's Note: While both AP and DJ reported that China has 21 bronze
medals in total, the editors have not been able to determine the event for
which China won this unaccounted for Bronze medal.]

Grand Total of the first five days of the Barcelona Summer Olympics:
7 Golds, 10 Silvers, and 4 Bronzes. 21 medals altogether.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Results of Other Events with Chinese Presence ........................ 21
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Huijie, Desjardins Lyne <[email-masked]>
Source: DJ, Rec.Sports.Olympic, July 30, 1992

China's WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL team lost to Cuba 1-3 in July 29's match. The
scores are 15-13, 11-15, 9-15, 11-15. The Chinese team will play the Dutch
team on July 31, and the Brazil team on August 2.

In WOMEN'S BASKETBALL, the Chinese team stopped the host Spain today by
66:63. China currently shares the number position in group B of women's
basketball competition with the United States, each with 1 win and no
losses. The fourth member of group B is the Czechoslovakia team.

In WOMEN'S TABLE TENNIS SINGLES first round, Kamlesh Mehta of India defeated
Lu Lin of China, 21-18, 21-16.  Chuen Tsung Lo of Hong Kong won her match.
In the Round Robin Phase of the same event, Deng Yaping, Qiao Hong, Chen
Zihe of China all defeated their opponents, as well as Hong Kong's Po Wa
Chai and Tan Lui Chan. Hong Kong's Suk Yuen Chan lost to North Korea's Kim
Hye Yong. China's male playes had no matches for the day.

In BASEBALL, the Chinese Taipei defeated Spain 20-0. Chinese Taipei
currently has 6 points accumulated, sharing second place with the United
States and Japan. The leader of the game is Cuba with 8 points. Chinese
Taipei will play the Dominican Republic on July 31.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Medal Winners of Thursday, July 30 ................................... 60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From:   Huijie
Source: DJ, July 30, 1992

                            EQUESTRIAN
    TEAM 3-DAY EVENT                        INDIVIDUAL 3-DAY EVENT
Gold -- Australia                     Gold -- Matthew Ryan, Australia
Silver -- New Zealand                 Silver -- Herbert Blocker, Germany
Bronze -- Germany		      Bronze -- Robert Tait, New Zealand

         FENCING                                    GYMNASTICS
      WOMEN'S FOIL		           WOMEN'S INDIVIDUAL ALL-AROUND
Gold -- Giovanna Trillini, Italy       Gold -- Tatiana Gutsu, Unified Team
Silver -- Wang Huifeng, China	       Silver -- Shannon Miller, U.S.
Bronze -- Tatiana Sadovskaia,          Bronze -- Lavinia Milosovici, Romania
          Unified Team

                                JUDO
  WOMEN'S 134-POUND DIVISION	         MEN'S 172-POUND DIVISION
Gold -- Catherine Fleury, France       Gold -- Hidehiko Yoshida, Japan
Silver -- Yael Arad, Israel	       Silver -- Jason Morris, U.S.
Bronze -- Elena Petrova, Unified       Bronze -- Kim Byung-Joo, South Korea;
          Team; Zhang Di, China	                 Bertrand Damaisin, France

                               SHOOTING
WOMEN'S 3-POSITION SMALL-BORE RIFLE         MEN'S RAPID-FIRE PISTOL
Gold -- Launi Meili, U.S.	       Gold -- Ralf Schumann, Germany
Silver -- Nonka Detcheva, Bulgaria     Silver -- Afanasijs Kuzmins, Latvia
Bronze -- Malgorzata Ksiazkiewicz,     Bronze -- Vladimir Vokhmianine,
          Poland		                 Unified Team

                               SWIMMING
  MEN'S 100-METER BACKSTROKE	         MEN'S 200-METER BUTTERFLY
Gold -- Mark Tewksbury, Canada	       Gold -- Melvin Stewart, U.S.
Silver -- Jeff Rouse, U.S.	       Silver -- Danyon Loader, New Zealand
Bronze -- David Berkoff, U.S.	       Bronze -- Franck Esposito, France

  MEN'S 50-METER FREESTYLE              WOMEN'S 800-METER FREESTYLE
Gold -- Alexander Popov, Unified Team  Gold -- Jane Evans, U.S.
Silver -- Matt Biondi, U.S.	       Silver -- Hayley Lewis, Australia
Bronze -- Tom Jager, U.S.	       Bronze -- Jana Henke, Germany

WOMEN'S 200-METER INDIVIDUAL MEDLEY    WOMEN'S 400-METER MEDLEY RELAY
Gold -- Lin Li, China		       Gold -- U.S.
Silver -- Summer Sanders, U.S.	       Silver -- Germany
Bronze -- Daniela Hunger, Germany      Bronze -- Unified Team

                        GRECO-ROMAN WRESTLING
       57 KILOGRAMS                          62 KILOGRAMS
Gold -- Han-Bong An, South Korea       Gold -- Akif Pirim, Turkey
Silver -- Rifat Yildiz, Germany	       Silver -- Juan Maren, Cuba
Bronze -- Alexander Ignatenk, Unified  Bronze -- Wlodzimierz Zawadzki,
          Team			                 Poland

       82 KILOGRAMS                          90 KILOGRAMS
Gold -- Peter Farkas, Hungary	       Gold -- Maik Bullmann, Germany
Silver -- Daoulet Tourlykhanov,	       Silver -- Hakki Basar, Turkey
Unified Team			       Bronze -- Gogui Kogouachvili, Unified
Bronze -- Magnus Frediksson, Sweden              Team

                           WEIGHTLIFTING
                            MIDDLEWEIGHT
                 Gold -- Fedor Kassapu, Unified Team
                 Silver -- Pablo Lara, Cuba
                 Bronze -- Kim Myong-Nam, North Korea

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Total Medal Standings in the 25th Olympics as of Jul 30 .............. 38
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Charlie Li
Source: AP, July 30, 1992

COUNTRY                GOLD   SILVER   BRONZE    TOTAL

Unified Team            18       8       10       36
United States           11      11       10       32
China                    7      10        4       21
Germany                  4       5        9       18
France                   1       3        8       12
Hungary                  6       4        1       11
Australia                3       3        3        9
Italy                    1       3        4        8
South Korea              5       0        2        7
Poland                   3       2        2        7
Japan                    2       2        3        7
Cuba                     2       3        1        6
Sweden                   0       3        3        6
Bulgaria                 1       4        0        5
Romania                  0       1        4        5
Britain                  1       1        2        4
New Zealand              0       2        2        4
Turkey                   2       1        0        3
Netherlands              0       0        3        3
Spain                    2       0        0        2
Norway                   1       1        0        2
Canada                   1       0        1        2
Independent Team         0       0        2        2
(Yugoslavia)
Brazil                   0       1        0        1
Peru                     0       1        0        1
Latvia                   0       1        0        1
Israel                   0       1        0        1
Belgium                  0       0        1        1
Finland                  0       0        1        1
Mongolia                 0       0        1        1
Surinam                  0       0        1        1
North Korea              0       0        1        1

+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|             Executive Editor:      Zuofeng Li      (U.S.A.)            |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                 |
|  (1) Global News (Daily)            (2) US Regional News               |
|  (3) Canada Regional News           (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News |
|  (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (Weekly Chinese Magazine)                        |
|  (6) Several Information Packages                                      |
| For subscription information, mail to:   [email-masked]   |
| News contributions should be sent to:  [email-masked]   |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+