Subject: File: "ORGINTRO 2"

From: BITNET list server at KENTVM (1.7f) <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1993 12:12:29 -0500

* ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **
* ORGANIZATION  INTRODUCTIONS                                              *
*        series                                             Issue: 2       *
*                                                                          *
*                                                                          *
*    ---  /------      /     |        |       |---------|       |          *
*        /|-----|     /---/  |   |----|----|  | ---|--- |      /\          *
*    \    |  |  |    /   /   \   |    |    |  | ___|___ |     /  \         *
*        -|--+--|-    \ /    |\  |----|----|  |    | \  |    /    \        *
*     /   |  |  |     / \    |        |       | ---|--- |   /      \       *
*    /    |--|--|    /       |        |       |---------|  /        \__    *
*                                                                          *
*                                                                          *
* China Net                                      ----------  \/  ----------*
* China News Digest                                 -----   CCCS   -----   *
* China Study Forum                                     ---  /\  ---       *
* Social Culture China                                                     *
*                                                                          *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **
-------------------------- Table of Content ------------------------------

No.   Subject                                                     # of lines

2.  Introduction of China Study Forum (CSF)                            108

3.  Introduction of
      American Association of Chinese Comparative Literature (AACCL)    88

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
N0. 2

====================  AN INTRODUCTION TO CSF   ===========================

                       by Hu Xiao Ping
         From: IN%"[email-masked]" 28-OCT-1989 22:04:32.80

    *****   *******    **************************************
   **     **           **       |---------|     ?     /\     *
  **      **           **       |  -----  |   ----   /  \    *
 **       **          ********  |  --|--  |      /  /    \   *
**         *******    **        |    |?   |     /    | /     *
**               **   **        |  -----  |    / ?   |/      *
**               **  **         |---------|   ?--?   |___?   *
 **              **  **                                      *
  **      **    **  **            CHINA    STUDY    FORUM    *
  ***********************    =================================

                Sitting in the cornfield,
                talking about world matters,
                you will experience
                mastering the fate of your own;
                you will find out
                life was never so significant ...

        Along with the vigorous movements for democracy and free-
dom  inside  and  outside  China,  the  China Study Forum (CSF in
short) cried out its birth in July, 1989. In the  beginning,  CSF
was  only a mailing list of theory lovers for exchanging informa-
tion and ideas, but it gradually developed to a worldwide comput-
er  communication  net  of more than 100 individual and group ac-
counts.
        China Study Forum is a  purely  theoretic  forum wherein
members  regularly  discuss topics related to China. Any articles
or opinions, based on truth and reason, can  be freely issued to
the  net members. Anybody can join or withdraw at any time, owing
no duty.  Currently  CSF  has  2  regular  forms:  the   biweekly
discussion and the soft journal. The biweekly discussion will be
held by a volunteer member or an editor of CSF in turn, one topic
per  two  weeks;  the  soft  journal  will issue quality articles
irregularly,  depending  on  the  sources  of   articles.
        The  purpose  of CSF is to exchange ideas, to explore the
cruces of  China's problems and to find the medicines  for  their
cure. We have seen, the existing methods and theories have become
obsolete and handicaped in dealing with the political, economical,
and ethnic problems.  With  a  look  of  the boiling prodemocracy
movements in the communist world, we  are  convinced  that  there
will  come  a storm in China before too long. No matter what will
happen, China is going to face a variation of  no  precedent.  We
hope  this  form  of discussion will help China to find the right
direction and the right ways to solving its problems.
        Up  till  now,  CSF  have  held several discussions and
issued a series of articls.  Some of the topics are:  democracy,
the importance of freedom  of  speech  and  press,  Capitalism vs
Socialism, the direction, strategy,  and the goal of the  future
democracy  movement, etc..  The articles include "Reflections on
Student Movement"  by  Dave  Sheng,  "China's  Four  Political
Generations"  and  "Intellectuals:  Conflicts  between Authority
and Power",  by  Wenching Sheng,  "Happiness,  Liberty, Justice,
Equality,  Rationality,  Law,  and Democracy"  by  Sky  Peace,
etc..  We also reported many seminars  held in several  campuses
discussing   the  origin  and   systems  of  western  democracy,
the reason for Marxism's failure , the problems of the system of
"distribution according to labor",  analysis of  current  affairs,
TI issues, etc.. Many individuals also carried on polls and are
doing  serious  research  in  many other topics. We  feel  it  a
great help to discuss sincerely and friendly with fellow students.
         To  be  an  envoy of yourself to CSF,  please send  your
request  to  [email-masked]  .
        The following is a part profile of the CSF editors:

[email-masked],                        (Ge Xun)
[email-masked],                      (Liang Jie)
[email-masked],                               (Zhang Yajiang)
[email-masked],                      (Wen-yen Kao)
[email-masked],                       (Dahe Chen)
[email-masked],                           (Li Zhenqin)
[email-masked],                     (Dennis Lee)
[email-masked],                             (Zhu Jianhua)
[email-masked],                        (Lin Hong)
[email-masked],                         (Xiaoping Hu)
[email-masked]                   (Ning Luo)
[email-masked]                     (Zhang Qing Song)
===================================================================
                We are not gulfs but waves --
                the boats are on our shoulders
                and we push them forward.
                We surge against rocks,
                smashing ourselves,
                and thence demonstrate
                our lives and strength.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the author: Mr. Hu, Xiaoping, although has the same last name of
Hu Yaobang  and  the same  first name of Deng Xiaoping,  is much less
significant and fortunate than either of them. Without any title,  he
assigned himself the chief-editor position of China Study Forum.  He
majors in Computer Vision and Artificial Intelligence for the sake of
earning a life. He lives in a remote world from reality, pondering on
why and how all the time. His hobby is to make quarrels with those whom
he dislikes. He likes to compose lines of poems dancing with music. His
greatest ambition is to find himself a Japanese type wife.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
No. 3

                       An Introduction to
      American Association of Chinese Comparative Literature (AACCL)
              and Its Journal, "Chinese Comparatist"

                       by Liu, Kang

       From:   IN%"[email-masked]", 30-OCT-1989 23:10:03.53

Purpose and Organization

        The American Association of Chinese Comparative Literature is a
scholarly, non-political, non-profit professional association open to all
persons interested in Chinese and East-West comparative literature studies,
and to Chinese nationals from PRC,Taiwan and Hong Kong, studying in the
fields of humanities,such as Chinese, English, French, Gernman, philosophy,
history and linguistics.  Its goal is to facilitate communication and
understanding among scholars through publications and meetings. The AACCL
is now in a process of expending its membership and activities in both
academic and Chinese students and scholars' communities.

        The association was founded in 1986, orginally as the American
Chapter of Chinese Comparative Literature Association. Since 1979, a number
of Chinese students and scholars have come to the U.S. to study, teach, and
do research in comparative literature and other fields of humanities. The
American chapter was thus established to serve the increasing needs of
contact and exchange among the Chinese scholars. As more people become
interested in China-related, interdisciplinary studies, the AACCL welcomes
a wide range and diversity of interests among its members, and seeks to
enhance its participation in international scholarly activities.

   In June 1989, members of the AACCL convened at the University of Chicago
to discuss the comparative approaches to modern and contemporary Chinese
literature. During the conference, the "Tiananmen 1989 Archive" was founded
to collect and preserve valuable documents of the recent democracy movement
in China.

   At the moment,the AACCL is preparing a conference on politics and
ideology in modern and contemporary Chinese literature, to be convened at
Duke University in June,1990.  The conference will serve as a commemoration
of the first anniversary of China's democracy movement, as well as a
reminder of the extent to which literature and politics are inextricably
related to each other. The conference will invite leading scholars in the
U.S. as well as well-known writers and critics from China currently residing
in the U.S. to address important issues related to the topics of the
conference.

"Chinese Comparatist"

    "Chinese Comparatist" is the publication of AACCL,published at
Northwestern University,Evaston, IL.  It is a semi-annual, bilingual
(English and Chinese) scholarly journal. The journal welcomes articles,
abstracts and book reviews in both English and Chinese, on any subject
related to the studies of Chinese, western, and comparative literature as
well as other fields of humanities.

    Creative writings such as poetry, fiction and drama and literary
translation are also accepted. The journal has been well received in the
academic circle in the U.S. and is indexed into the "MLA International
Bibliography" and "MLA Directory of Periodicals," the internationally
standard references of the fields. The journal is the first of its kind
published by Chinese scholars in the U.S.

Membership of AACCL and Subscription to the Journal

    Members of the AACCL will receive free copies of "Chinese Comparatist,"
and AACCL Newsletters, circulars providing information on current news,
trends, publications,conferences,fellowship and scholarship opportunities
and job opportunities in the related fields. Members will also receive
invitation and allowances to participate in AACCL's meetings and
conferences.  The membership fee is $5 per year.  The subscription to the
journal is $30 per year, $15per issue for institutions; $20 per year and $10
per issue forindividuals.

    for information, membership and subscription, please contact KANG LIU
(President) at Grinnell College, P.O.Box 805 K-4, Grinnell, IA50112, phone:
515-236-4853 or 515-269-3123; fax: 515-269-3408 or 515-269-4285; Email:
[email-masked] or BEILING WU(Vice-President) at Northwestern University,
2010 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL60201; phone:312-864-3230; fax:312-864-3202
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Self-Introduction:

    LIU,Kang, President of the American Association of Chinese Comparative
Literature (88-89). B.A. in English Literature, Nanjing University, 1982.
Came to the States on a Fulbright Scholarship in 1983; earned a M.A. degree
in Comparative Literature in 1984 at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Received Ph.D. in Comparative Literature at UW-Madison in May 1989. Now
Assistant Professor of Chinese Studies at Grinnell College, Grinnell, Iowa.
Elected the president of AACCL October 1987.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ please send your comment about this porgram to:                          +
+                                                                          +
+ Dong Ping Deng (Social Culture China)    e-mail: [email-masked]    +
+ Weihe Guan (China-Net)                   e-mail: inr@uga                 +
+ Hong Lin   (China Study Forum)           e-mail: linhong@mcmaster        +
+ Gang Xu    (China News Digest)           e-mail: gxu@kentvm              +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++