Subject: File: "ORGINTRO 4"

From: BITNET list server at KENTVM (1.7f) <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1993 12:12:34 -0500

* *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* ORGANIZATION  INTRODUCTIONS                        Issue 5               *
*        series                                      Dec. 18, 1989         *
*              Program                                                     *
*                                                                          *
*    ---  /------      /     |        |       |---------|       |          *
*        /|-----|     /---/  |   |----|----|  | ---|--- |      /\          *
*    \    |  |  |    /   /   \   |    |    |  | ___|___ |     /  \         *
*        -|--+--|-    \ /    |\  |----|----|  |    | \  |    /    \        *
*     /   |  |  |     / \    |        |       | ---|--- |   /      \       *
*    /    |--|--|    /       |        |       |---------|  /        \__    *
*                                                                          *
*                                                                          *
* China Net                                      ----------  \/  --------- *
* China News Digest                                 -----   CCCS   -----   *
* China Study Forum                                     ---  /\  ---       *
* Social Culture China                                                     *
*                                                                          *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  *
------------------------------ Table of Content ----------------------------

No. 6    Introduction To Chinese Canadian National Council (CCNC)         98
No. 7    SINO-Ecologists Club Overseas                                    60

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
NO. 6
       *** Introduction To Chinese Canadian National Council (CCNC) ***
                       (received November 6, 1989)

What Is The CCNC ?

   In 1979, Chinese Canadians across the country united to protest the
irresponsible journalism of a national televised program:"Campus Giveaway".
As a result, CTV publicly apologized for the racist overtones and inaccu-
racies of that particular episode. More significantly, the participants
against W5 from cities across Canada assembled and held a conference in
        ^^
Toronto. Out of that meeting, the importance and need of a strong, national
organization became so evident that the Chinese Canadian National Council
was formed.

What Are The CCNC Objectives?

   To promote the rights of all individuals, in particular, those of Chinese
Canadians and to encourage their full and equal participation in Canadian
society.
   To create an environment in this country in which the rights of all
individuals are fully recognized and protected.
   To promote understanding and cooperation between Chinese Canadians and
all other ethnic, cultural and racial groups in Canada.
   To encourage and develop in persons of Chinese descent, a desire to know
and to respect their historical and cultural heritage: to educate them
in adopting a creative and positive attitude towards the Chinese Canadian
contribution to society.

How Does The CCNC Meet These Goals?

   By developing a strong national voice; encouraging new members across
Canada to work with existing groups in the Chinese community; cooperating
with other ethnic and cultural groups; setting up an effective national
network of communication.
   By working in the areas of human and civil rights; monitoring the media;
fighting stereotyping and institutional racism.
   Political awareness and participation; sponsoring all candidates meeting;
informing the public of important issues which affect them; submissions to
different levels of government; political awareness workshops; active
participation in the decision-making of our government's policies.
   Cultural and social activities; festivals, street fairs, special events
and community activities; developing a resource library; historical and
cultural heritage exhibit that travels across Canada; sending out a
newsletter
regularly.
   New ideas and plans for improvement are constantly being developed.

Structure:

   There are twenty nice local chapters and affiliates in Canada located in
Vancouver, Victoria, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, London,
Windsor, Hamilton, Moncton, Metro Toronto, Etobicoke, Scarborough, Ottawa,
Sarnia, Montreal, Halifax, Saint John, Fredericton, Kingston, Pembroke,
Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador. The National Office of the
CCNC is located in Toronto.
   The CCNC conducts its charitable and educational activities through the
Chinese Canadian National Education Fund in compliance with the Income Tax
Act. Donations received are tax creditable.

Redress Campaign

   In 1984, CCNC formally took up the redress issue for the Chinese
Exclusion Act and Head Tax. These were two very devastating and racist
Canadian laws which led to tremendous hardship and the separation of
families, not ending until years after the repeal of the Exclusion Act in
1947. The Redress Campaign calls upon the government of Canada to
acknowledge the injustice and racism and recognize the suffering of
individual Chinese Canadians that resulted from this legislated
discrimination. Many headtax payers, now in their eighties or nineties, are
still waiting to see justice done.

The Success Of The CCNC Requires Your Help:

   Give some our your concern and effort towards improving and enriching the
quality of life for Chinese Canadians in this country. At the same time,
meet others like yourself who find excitement, fun and satisfaction in
participating in their community. Become a member and volunteer of the CCNC.

   For more information, contact:
   Jacky Pang, Executive Director or contact our National Office:
   CCNC
   386 Bathurst Street
   2nd floor
   Toronto, Ontario M5T 2S6
   Tel.:(416)868-1777
   Fax.:(416)868-1781

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Supplied by Chow-ying Wong (CCNC coordinator)

Note: CCNC, with Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE),
has been carrying on "The National Emergency Support for Chinese Students"
financed by Canadian International Development Agency.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
No. 6    SINO-Ecologists Club Overseas
****************************************************************************
                      SINO-Ecologists Club Overseas
                           by Liu, Jianguo

   SINO-Ecologists Club Overseas (SINO-ECO) was initiated in November, 1988.
The purposes of this organization are 1). to promote exchange of ideas and
information of development in ecology and related sciences (like
agriculture, environmental sciences, geography, and economics etc.), among
Chinese ecologists (students and scholars) overseas as well as between the
ecologists overseas and those in China; and 2). to provide an efficient
channel between Chinese and foreign ecologists, through which mutual
understanding and cooperation can be enhanced.

   The "SINO-ECO Newsletter" is the main medium of communication of the
organization. It covers various information such as club business news,
introduction of new members,  opportunities of further studies (e.g.,
postdoctoral positions, assistantships etc.), publications and presentations
of members, meeting news, introduction of leading ecologists and relevant
institutions,book/paper review, advances in ecology and related sciences,
domestic news, and much more.

   Currently, there are about 90 members from North America and Europe.
You are sincerely invited to join us. For more information, please contact
Jianguo Liu (President) at PULLIA1@USCN (e-mail address); or (404) 542-2968;
or Institute of Ecology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, U.S.A..

  ***** More information about SINO-ECO *****

    Since SINO-ECO was mainly initiated by Jianguo Wu (Univ. of Miami),
Xinyuan Wu (Univ. of Tenn.), and Yegang Wu (Univ. of Wyoming),thirteen
issues of SINO-ECO Newsletters have been published. So far,  SINO-ECO is
still an informal organization.

    Jianguo Liu was elected as the first President in the end of October,
1989. The Executive Committee includes President,  a Vice President (Zhiyong
Huang, Univ. of Missouri at Columbia), a Secretary (Weixin Cheng, Univ. of
Georgia), and a Treasurer (Yegang Wu), as well as Jianguo Wu and Xinyuan Wu.
The SINO-ECO is governed by Board of Directors including the Executive
Committee and other members from different regions and disciplines.  In the
near future, SINO-ECO will pass the bylaws and register in the U.S.A. as a
non-profit organization, and "make" some money to cover the postage and
other expenses. Necessary committees will be set up to run SINO-ECO
effectively.

   ***** A Brief Introduction of Jianguo Liu *****

    Jianguo Liu was born "where the red sun rises" in 1963. Hunan
Agricultural College awarded him a B.S. in 1983. Under the direction of
Prof. Shijun Ma (Honorable President of Ecological Society of China), he got
an M.S. from The Graduate School of China Univ. of Sciences and Technology
in 1986. After working in Academia Sinica (Research Center for
Eco-Environmental Sciences) for one and half years, he came to Univ. of
Georgia early 1988 for his Ph.D. program. Jianguo has published/presented 17
papers (or chapters). He is now working on competition theory and population
models of global change with Prof. Ron Pulliam (former Vice President of
Ecological Society of America, and director of Institute of Ecology). He is
a mesional societies, including AAAS and International Association for
  ^^^^^^^^
Ecology.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ please send your comment about this program to:                          +
+                                                                          +
+ Dong Ping Deng (Social Culture China)    e-mail: [email-masked]    +
+ Weihe Guan (China-Net)                   e-mail: inr@uga                 +
+ Hong Lin   (China Study Forum)           e-mail: linhong@mcmaster        +
+ Gang Xu    (China News Digest)           e-mail: gxu@kentvm              +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++