Subject: Re: for RTC, pls cc me a copy when you reply this reader. thanks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1992 22:19:46 -0500

Dear Hong Kuan:

Yuxiu has forwarded your question and comments to HXWZ editors net.

Thanks to Wang Huangxin, another editor in HXWZ, I am mailing you a FAQ
file about Chinese editing on Mac, written by himself. From the file, you
can see you have two choices of Chinese editors. I may suggest you, if
considering cheap investment, you can try Chinese OS 6.7. As suggested in
that FAQ, you can spend $10 buying an old issue of Developer (issue 8 of
last year) with a CD disk, then you can get Chinese OS 6.07. I personally
feel $10 "investment" is not bad. :-)

Also thanks for commenting on HXWZ help file about reading Chinese on Mac.
It is our goal to update the help files from time to time to fit more
readers' interests. If possible, you may tell us what part in the help
file is unsatisfactory yet and your suggestions in detail. That will help
us a lot in updating the help file and will benefit more readers. Of course,
we also would like to share your program that you send to Yuxiu.

Again, thanks for your support and concern. Hope to enjoy reading your
comments on "Manhattan's Lady" soon.

Yanan,
for CND/HXWZ.

Cc: cnd-cm, Huangxin
---------------------------------------

>From: [email-masked] ( Huangxin Wang)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: Chinese on Macintosh:  Reply to a FAQ
Date: 1 Nov 91 21:38:44 GMT
Organization: University of Pennsylvania

If you are alreay reading Hua Xia Wen Zhai regularly on Mac, then
ignore this message.

		Chinese  on  Macintosh Computer

If you want to use (read, write) Chinese on Macintosh, you just need to
install Chinese System or Chinese script, thus making the Chinese
characters avaiable to all Macintosh softwares.  With this, in
principle, you can use any Mac word processor to edit Chinese (Chinese
become an addition font in your Mac system), but the best one is Nisus
from Paragon (800-922-2993) $99 for students or academic order.  But
remember Nisus has nothing to do with Chinese, it can handle smoothly
all international scripts, including Chinese, Japanese, Arabian.  It is a
powerful word processor at the same level as MSWord 4, but it has many
features that are not possible in Word.

Also you can use Chinese with HyperCard, painting, drawing softwares,
etc., just as you do with a regular Mac.  Basically, this is similar to
adding in a new font, then this font will be available to all your
softwares.

In priciple, you can install other scripts into your Macintosh, for
example, Traditional Chinese (Taiwan System), or Japanese.

The mainland simplified Chinese (Beijing System) use GB code, pinyin is
the standard input method, but you can choose others.  Current version
is 6.07, works on all Macintosh.  Taiwan system uses big5, you can also
use mainland's pinyin method for inputting.

All these International Systems (and script) are available on the
d e v e l o p magazine (by Apple) for $30/year: 800-545-9364
They are on the CD disk come with every issue (4 issues/year).
Back-issue is about $10/issue.  The one with CH 6.07 is on Issue 8.

------
Huangxin Wang 王璜鑫, University of Pennsylvania