Subject: CND-US, January 26, 1994

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 1994 21:19:08 -0600

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                               (US Regional)

                        Wednesday, January 26, 1994

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has basically no overlap with the daily news.   CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
1. News Briefs (3 Items) ................................................ 40
2. About F-1 and J-1 Students Seeking Reentry to US ..................... 54
3. Update on the Petition to Improve Liu Gang's Prison Condition ........ 65
4. Announcement of Summer Symposium in Beijing for
   Chemical Engineers and Computational Chemists ........................ 30
============================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. News Briefs (3 Items) ................................................ 40
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since the publication of the bone-marrow donor searching message (1/11/94
CND-US), the patient's family has received some gracious responses from the
readers and therefore expresses deep thankful for all the concerned people!
Because of the condition of the patient and the fact of low bone-marrow
matching probability, it is necessary to extend the searching to China where
exists the highest matching possibilities. We need the following information:
(1) The operations and the regulations of bone-marrow transplant in China,
(2) the addresses of the blood centers in major cities and, if possible,
    the names of the persons to contact with and
(3) the names and addresses of any organizations concerning the bone-marrow
    donations or any other similar parties.
Please contact: Y. C. Lin (615)-622-7555, or Mike (317)-580-0308 or
[email-masked]. (From: <[email-masked]>)
                              ___  ___  ___

[CND 1/23/94] The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service said Monday it
has deported 118 Chinese nationals who attempted illegal entry to this
country.  This was the largest group of boat people returned to China since
last November.  Accompanied by six INS officers and a public health officer,
The Chinese aboarded a charter flight at 2:14 a.m. Monday from Bakersfield,
Calif., to the People's Republic of China.  Chinese officials have agreed to
accept the return of the 178 Chinese who have attempted illegal entry since
June 1992.  INS said all of them were given due process, including a hearing
before an immigration judge, and an opportunity to be represented by counsel
and an appeal of the decision, and they are nearing the end of their hearing
and appeals process.
                              ___  ___  ___

The preparation of Alumni Association of Liaoning Overseas Students in
America(Mid-West Region) is in progress.  The first meeting is scheduled
tentatively at the end of February, 1994 in Chicago.  The Association's
quarterly NEWSLETTER will provide the members with the update policies on
overseas students, and investment to Liaoning; the news of economic
developments in Liaoning; the temporary job opportunities and cooperation
areas; other related and interested news and information. Anyone who has
family, relatives in Liaoning; studied or worked in liaoning; or has
relationship with any company in Liaoning, and is interested in joining the
association may contact one of the following preparatory committee members:
Donglei zhao 312-842-2765(fax), [email-masked]; Xiaodi Sun
312-753-0474; Yanling Li 312-225-3740, [email-masked].
(From: <[email-masked]> 1/24/94)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. About F-1 and J-1 Students Seeking Reentry to US ..................... 54
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date:  January 24, 1994
Source:  INTER-L

Thank you to the numerous responses concerning an F-1 student who spent a
semseter abroad on our London campus.  She was issued an I-193 form upon
reentry to the US and charged US$90.  I asked why this happened to her.
Here's the reason.

F-1 and J-1 students who seek reentry to the US must have a valid (non-
expired) visa stamp in their passport and a valid I-20 with the DSO's
certification for reentry.  The only exception to this rule is for reentry
from Mexico, Canada, and adjacent islands except Cuba, given
(1) the stay in any of these countries was less than 30 days,
(2) the student has maintained or plans to resume F-1 or J-1 status,
(3) presents a valid Form I-94,
(4) either a properly endorsed I-20ID or a new Form I-20A-B,
(5) possesses a valid passport, and
(6) applies for readmission within the authorized period of initial
    admission or extension stay.
After 30 days, even students from Mexico, Canda, and adjacent islands,
except Cuba must have a valid visa stamp in their passport. To receive a
valid reentry visa, the student must go to the US embassy/consular in
their home country (if and when possible) or the country from which the
student is returning.

In our student's scenario the INS actually did her a service by issuing her
an I-193, "Waiver of Passport or Visa."  This means that the INS official
believed that she was in F-1 status at the college and did intend to return
to the college for full-time study.  Thus, the I-193 allowed her to enter
without a valid visa.  This, however, is a generous posture of the INS and
is rarely allowed more than once.  The INS could have insisted that she
return to her home country (at her expense, of courese) to receive a valid
visa for reentry.

Tip of the day: Before signing a student's I-20 for reentry, check the
student's passport visa stamp to make sure the expiration date is within
the time frame in which the student will reenter the US.  Also, as per an
earlier communique related to internationals who participate in study
abroad programs, FSA's may want to re-issue a new I20A-B to the student
prior to their return to the US with a remark "student has remained in
full-time status while pursuing academic studies for credit at ..."  A
cover letter of explanation to accompany the student's I-94 may be of
further benefit to the student.

For specific reference to reentry regulations see the NAFSA adviser's
manual section 4.11.2.1 - 4.11.2.3

John M. Vitek, Director
International and Special Programs
St. Mary's College of Minnesota
Winona, MN  55987

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Update on the Petition to Improve Liu Gang's Prison Condition ........ 65
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: January 20,1994
_From: USA::JMD25218 <[email-masked]>

To: Co-signers of the Petition Letter to Improve Liu Gang's Prison Condition

Dear Cosigners:

Since we posted  a letter calling for volunteers for CSS delegation to visit
Ling Yuan Prison, many students and scholars responded and volunteered
to be members of the delegation.

On Dec. 10, 1993, two consuls from NYC Consulate General, Mr. Hu and Mr. Ai
held an informal talk with 9 of the initiators of the petition letter at
Buffalo. The consuls passed State Education Commission (SEC)'s attitude
toward this issue:
  1. Liu Gang was not tortured.
  2. SEC would not help the application for permit for CSS delegations'
     visit.
  3. SEC would not host CSS delegation.
  4. Permission from Ministry of Justice was required for  visiting to any
     prison.

They advised us to stop the petition process, because, they emphasized, it
might be used by foreign hostile people to damage China's image.  They
asserted that those who concern about Liu Gang were only minority among the
overseas CSS.

We, the initiators at the meeting,  reaffirmed the major points we made
repeatedly:
  1. An independent report by overseas CSS is necessary for clearing the
     cloud around Liu Gang's issue, especially when the reports in overseas
     news media are quite different from officially released news in China.
  2. Stopping inhumane treatment toward political prisoners and improving
     prison condition would be the best way to improve China's image,
     and was for the best interest of China, which is the purpose of CSS
     visiting delegation.
  3. The improving of human right condition in China needs persistent
     efforts.  More efforts are needed if those who showed concern over
     human right in China were really minority; 1144 overseas CSS is not
     an ignorable number.
  4. We will continue our efforts to improve the condition of Liu Gang and
     other political prisoners through lawful channels.
     (The details of the talk will soon be sent to co-signers in major news
     groups)

After the meeting we wrote to Mr. Jiang Zemin and Ministry of Justice again
for the permission of overseas CSS visiting delegation.

On December 31, 1993 the Ministry of Justice replied. It refused to
issue permit for overseas CSS's visiting to Ling Yuan prison by saying that

  1. nobody except the relatives could visit prisoners, according to the law.
  2. journalists from Liao4 Wang4 (Look Out)  and Beijing Review had visited
     Liu Gang and clearly denied any possibility of abuse.
  3. Nobody may inspect any prison in China. People with special permission
     may visit certain prisons designated by, and only by, the government.

Recently it was reported that Ling Yuan Prison banned Liu Gang's relatives
from visiting him, with the excuse that he might have bad mood after the
visit, although they had claimed that Liu, Gang was well treated and was
physically and mentally healthy not long ago.

We can not give up our effort at this time. We will not give up.

Thank you for your support. We will keep you informed whenever there is
progress  in this issue.

Initiators in Buffalo.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Announcement of Summer Symposium in Beijing for
   Chemical Engineers and Computational Chemists ........................ 30
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 25 Jan 1994
Forwarded by: Yizu Zhu <[email-masked]>

The finalized dates, tipocs and related information are as follows:

Place:          Beijing
Time:           July 13-19, 1994
Sponsors:       PRC National Science Foundation
                Chemical Industry and Engineering Society of China
                China National Chemical Information Center

Major Topics:   Simulation and Optimization
                Artifacial Intelligence
                Process Control

Deadline:       March 1, 1994

Requirements:   Send 1) Resume
                     2) Abstract(s) (300-400 words)

Note:           Hotels and activity fees in China will be covered
                by the sponsors

Contact:        Prof. Yang, YouQi,
                China National Chemical Information Center,
                53 Xiaoguanjei, Anwai, Beijing 100029, P.R.China
                Phone:  01186-1-4266622
                Fax:           -4214052
                or
                Dr. Yizu Zhu, Aspen Technology, Inc.
                10 Canal Park, Cambridge, MA 02141
                email:  [email-masked]
                fax:    (617)-577-0303
                Phone:  (617)-577-0100-ext 255

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|              Editor of This Issue: Cindy Zheng (San Diego, Ca)           |
|               Coordinating Editor: Yungui Ding (Ames, Iowa)              |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|    China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                |
|     (1) Global News (Daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (Weekly Chinese Magazine)                       |
|     (6) InfoBase: anon FTP to CND.ORG[132.249.229.100]:pub/InfoBase      |
|    To subscribe or get info, mail request to:      [email-masked]      |
|    To contribute news,  please send it to:        [email-masked]     |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+