Subject: October 1, 1990, CND-EP Posting

From: Bo Xiong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 90 19:59:13 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+  C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

=====================  Europe / Pacific Section (CND-EP)  =====================
                                October 1, 1990
 
---------------------------- Table of Contents ---------------------------
No. Subject                                                     # of Lines

1. The October 1st Statement of the Federation of
   Chinese Students and Scholars in Canada (FCSSC)......................65

2. Brief Report by CND-Canada on the 2nd General Assembly
   of the Federation for A Democratic China (FDC).......................50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
**** To contact CND-EP, see the table at the end of this news package ****

1. The October 1st Statement of the Federation of
   Chinese Students and Scholars in Canada (FCSSC)
====================================================================(65 lines)
>From: CND-Canada Editor Run-Ping Qi <[email-masked]>

  *******************************************************************

          m"m          D             mm"  "m"  ""D  mmmmmmm m"m m"m
        m"   "m     mmmDmmmm  mmmmm  D""" D D """D   D   D  "D" "D"
      m"       "m      D   D  D   D  D""" m"m """D   D"""D mDmD DmDm
    m" mmmmmmmmm "m    D   D  D   D D"""""""""""""D  DmmmD mmmD Dmmm
           D           D   D  D   D "   """""D"  "   D   D D  D D  D
       mmmmDmmmm      D    D  D   D        "D        DmmmD"DmmD D  D
           D         m"   m"  DmmmD  """""""D"""""  ""   D "  D D""
     mmmmmmDmmmmmm  m"  mm"   "   "       "mD            D  m"  D

  *******************************************************************

        The October 1st Statement of the Federation of
        Chinese Students and Scholars in Canada (FCSSC)

     As June 4th will always be a reminder of the strong will of Chinese
people for democracy and freedom as well as the brutality of the dictatorship,
October 1st shall be remembered as the day when the Chinese Communist Party
(CCP) began its disastrous rule in China.

     Forty-one years ago, CCP took over the power in China and established the
People's Republic of China (PRC), and October 1st became the National Day.
Unfortunately, the establishment of PRC has not made Chinese people get rid of
suffering. On the contrary, Chinese people have painfully experienced numerous
political movements and disasters, like the Anti-rightists and the Great
Cultural Revolution. Forty-one years later, poverty, hunger, illiteracy, and
backwardness are still widespread in China. In particular, China is ranked
below 100 in the world in terms of GNP per capita, for which the CCP has
undeniable responsibility.  What is there to celebrate about October 1st?  The
Chinese people have suffered too much to celebrate the October 1st.

     In fact, the People's Republic of China has never belonged to the people
of China for a single day since its foundation.  One year ago, it was the CCP
government that used machine guns to massively kill its own people.  The
legitimacy of the government had already been scattered by the massacre.

     In the sharp contrast, in the home country of Karl Marx, the two
Germanies are being reunited on October 1st under a democratic system and with
a free economy. In the Soviet Union, the big brother of communist China, multi
-party system has been legalized, the economy is going to be privatized. All
of these indicate that the global trend for democracy and reform are not
resistible.

     We are just ordinary Chinese intellectuals, like millions of those in
China, engaged in science and technology. The FCSSC is not instituted as a
political organization. However, it is our obligation to express our deep
concern about the situation in China because we care about our motherland.
Even though the majority of Chinese students and scholars in Canada are not
returning home now, most of us will go back to serve our lovely country
sooner or later.

     For the best interests of Chinese people, the FCSSC supports any effort
made by any individual or institution for helping China open its door further,
improve basic human rights problem and release all political prisoners
(so-called counter-revolutionary criminals), and most importantly initiate
fundamental political and economic reform. We recognize the fact that CCP is
still ruling China, such effort made by those inside CCP would certainly be
supported, too. We are always ready to participant and contribute because it
is our responsibility.

     We Would like to remind our Canadian friends that there has been no
fundamental improvement in China with respect to human rights, though some
participants of the June 4th movement have been released as a result of
international pressures. In the past, the Canadian people and the government
have shown unambiguous support for the struggle of the Chinese people for
freedom and democracy. We highly appreciate your support. In the future, we
hope that Canadians will continue to raise the issue of human rights in China,
especially on October 1st.

     October 1st is no time for celebration. We suggest that our colleagues
across Canada boycott any celebration of October 1st. It is time for us to
distinguish Chinese people from  CCP, and China from the PRC government. That
line was drawn clearly by the blood of those who fought and died for democracy
on June 4th last year. Therefore, instead of celebrating, let us pay homage
to them, and pray for the future of China.

May China be prosperous and strong!
May the Chinese people live with human rights and dignity!
We love China!
============================================================================

2. Brief Report by CND-Canada on the 2nd General Assembly
   of the Federation for A Democratic China (FDC)
===================================================================(50 lines)
>From: CND-Canada Correspondent <[email-masked]>
Date: 	Sat, 29 Sep 90 13:11:00 EDT

         Brief Report of the 2nd FDC General Assembly

                         By ANDY SHI
                         CND-Canada

     The 2nd FDC General Assembly was convened from September 22 to
24 in Foster City, a small city adjacent to San Froncisco, California.

     After three days noisy meetings, Wan Rennan and Xu Sike, a Ph.D
candidate in computer music composition at Stanford, won the election
for Chairmanship with a marginal majority vote over their rivals Zhu
Jiaming, a famous young economist in China, and Xu Bangtai, present
chairman of the CAD (Min Lian) council. The elction turn-out was 59
to 49. But the net result was only a difference of 6 votes, since Zhu
and Xu were not full delegates and, therefore, without voting right.

     The attacks towards Wan Rennan was bomboarding upon his past
work. But the lack of experience in overseas pro-democracy operation
was at very infavorable play to Zhu Jiaming.

     While Qian Da remains in the position of chairman of the supervisory
committee, Zhu Jiaming was cheered to the chairmanship of the council.

     With the independence of the council, FDC has now gone into an
operation of three branch power balance. The previous council and chairs
of FDC were within one body.

     The conference passed a motion with a favorable vote to unite FDC
with CAD in the next two years.

     There were also motions passed recklessly, leaving the delegates
regreting afterwards. Zhu Yuncheng, an overseas Chinese businessman,
is now heading the FDC finance committee. According to the new
consitition, this committee is independent of the council. The chair
of this committee can control the money in whatever way he wishes. What
makes the delegates more restless is that the new consitution renders
a veto power to the FDC chairman. The chairman can veto any decision made
by the coucil if it is not passed with a 2/3 absolute majority. To
override such a veto, the coucil will have to achieve a 2/3 vote, which
is, practically, almost impossible, taking the geographical difficulty
into consideration.

     The biggest task for the new FDC chairman appears to be how the FDC
can survive with its already pressing financial difficulty. Wan Rennan
promised to simplify the working stucture and cut the expenditure. But
that is not likely his style. Bresides, some people are dependent upon
the democracy bowl. People wait to see how he will cope with the problems.

    The next FDC general assembly will be convened in two years.
=============================================================================

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Editor/Sender of this Issue:    Bo Xiong   in Chicago, U. S. A.          |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  To subscribe/unsubscribe, send contribution/comment and report problem,  |
|  send e-mail to:                                                          |
|  [email-masked]     OR     [email-masked]               |
|  OR        [email-masked]                                |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+