Subject: CND-EP Weekly Posting, December 19, 1990

From: CND-EP <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 01:09:13 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+  C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

=====================  Europe / Pacific Section (CND-EP)  =====================
				December 19, 1990
 
---------------------------- Table of Contents ---------------------------
No. Subject                                                     # of Lines

1. Japan Conditionally Extended Visa for Chinese Student Acitivists.....15

2. Letter from Reader:	Supporting and Respecting GE Xun................20

3. Demonstration in Paris -- Two Pieces of News from France.............25

4. Letter from Australia:  Uneasy Life of Chinese Students There........90
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editor's note: CND-EP, normally broadcast 1 or 2 times a week, is a supplement
(Bo Xiong)     to daily CND-General and it has basically no overlap with CND-
	       General.  To receive comprehensive China-related news, please
	       subscribe to CND-G from the addresses at the end of this news.

1. Japan Conditionally Extended Visa for Chinese Student Acitivists
====================================================================(15 lines)
>From: A CND Reader in Japan **@***.***-u.ac.jp Fri Dec 14 04:47:03 1990

Dec. 5, 1990, by Asahi Shimbun--- Japanese Ministry of Justice has decided to
extend 3 month long visas to more than 10 Chinese students who took part in
last year's pro-democracy movements and claimed they would be arrested if
returning to China. These applications had so far been rejected by the
Ministry and those applicants had been given time for "preparation to leave
Japan". The new decision actually changed the original policy.

However, the new policy does not satisfy the civil organizations which support
the Chinese students in Japan, because the short term visa requires the
students to renew it every 90 days. The organizations are continuing to demand
the Ministry of Justice renew visas for these students without preconditions
in the same way as US government does.
==============================================================================

2.  Letter from Reader:  Supporting and Respecting GE Xun
====================================================================(20 lines)
Editor's note:  GE Xun will come back to US on December 19, 1990 by CAAC
		Flight 981, many Chinese students and IFCSS president will
		welcome him at the San Francisco airport, please read Dec.
		18's and 19's CND-General for detail.

>From: "Mr Zhang, WeiMin" <[email-masked]> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 19:50

  I have writen a letter to IFCSS to support Ge Xun. I consider Ge Xun's 
defiance action has already achieved victory. It has attracted the attention
from the world and may have made the Chinese government be more careful in
dealing with politial prisoners. At least, it made them do not know what to do
with him but passively avoid him.

  I would like to call other Chinese students in Australia to show their 
support to Ge Xun. He is not only represent the students in USA, but also in
Australia, we believe.

  I have suggested IFCSS to set up a fundation in supporting Ge Xun and 
broadcast its address on CND. Thus it will give us a chance to make
contributions since we are not able to be there directly.

  We should not forget our old fighers with the similar bravery, such as Yang 
Wei and Liu Xiao Bo who went back to China and still traped in jails. In 
mentioning them, though, I only meant to indicate the potential danger for Ge 
Xun. I have noticed and respect the fact that Ge Xun is prepared to follow 
the local laws there. 

Zhang Weimin
South Australian Institute of Technology
==============================================================================

3. Demonstration in Paris -- Two Pieces of News from France
====================================================================(25 lines)
>From: CND Correspondent in France Ye, Haiyan [email-masked] Dec 14, 1990

I. Demonstration in Paris

In response to the call of Hong Kong Alliance for Supporting Democracy in
China, FDC French division and Democratic House organized a demonstration in
front of Chinese Ambassade to protest the recent judgement of student leaders
in China. In meantime FDC French division is writing to French senators and
senators of European congress to tell them what is happening in China now.
Demonstrations have also been organized in UK and Germany.

II. French Sonologist Talking about China

Recently, in an interview of the 5th French TV channel LA5, the famous
sinologist, academic member Alain Peyefitte have commented the current
situation in China. His comments can be resumed as below:

1) Chinese government has successfully get out out of the embarrassed
   situation after the 6.4 massacre due to Gulf crisis.

2) The number of dead has been exaggerated, it is probably about 1000.

3) China never knows what is democracy, what has happened in East-Europe will
   not happen in China.

4) Chinese people has no conquest sprite.  So "yellow peril" doesn't exist.
=============================================================================

4. Letter from Australia:  Uneasy Life of Chinese Students There
====================================================================(90 lines)
>From: "Mr Zhang, WeiMin" <[email-masked]> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 19:50

I appreciate the 'reader in Australia' (the first reader's letter) for raising
the question for discussion in last issue of CND-EP.

However, the difference in moral and legal standard is not a surprise to  me,
nor I believe it is unique in Australia. The modern Western society is a
credit society, which is based on a higher standard of mutual trusts and moral
standard. This is also colsely related to its level of wealth and inheritage,
both material and idieological. It is very different from that of China. This
is the root of the painful fact that every overseas Chinese have to face to.

When I came from China five years ago, I was supprised that Australia is a
world without wall. Later on when I recall that feeling I realised that in
China people are restricted by wall or hardware. While in Weatern society, 
specifically in Australia, people are more restricted by the legal
consequences or software. This is true especially for small amount of goods
such as fruit on the tree. One can never get rich by stealing oranges from
neighbour's tree. But the money in banks is something different. So there are
armed holdups. So that the banks are nowadays equiped with screen protections.
In this sense there is no difference between Chinese people and Western
people. In fact I am very glad that I have not seen any report for bank
holdup done by Chinese so far.

I do feel sorry for those language students who did some shameful things.  I
hope they can mixe up with the Australian society as far as possible. At
least, to make a few Austrlian friends to observe and learn their good side of
culture. But this is not easy for those with language and economic
difficulties. They tend to stick together and around Chinatown. So I suggest
Mr 'first reader' write an article in Chinese and put it on a local Chinese 
newspaper. I had an idea for many years: to write a guide for new comers from 
China to tell them how to adjust themselves.
 
On the other hand, I understand some of the language students are in extreme 
difficulties and hardship. A couple of oranges may mean a lot to them. It's 
partly the result of high tuition fees they paid. The fees are virtually the 
money they paid for being out of China. The money charged to the poor students, 
has shown a ruthless face to the students: no money, no visa and go home. Then
all of the dreams will be end up in vain. Thousands of dollars, measured by
tens of years of salary, will be end up with a few months stay in a dreamland.
This is the true relationship between countries. But it is borne by those poor
language students. What are the consequent reactions in the students minds? Is
it fair?

Even worse, there are racism stereotype and racists harrasments. It prevents 
Chinese students being mixed up with Australians. It makes them suffer as 
between bad government and tiger. Of course, any improper behavior of Chinese 
students will become execuse to racist.  

Just to after a better life and/or escaping from a bad government, may be too
slow to escape (after 20 June 1989), which should be considered quite normal
and a basic human right, has made them suffer so much. Have their interests
and rights being protected by any government? Have their sad stories being
mentioned anywhere?

Being a lucky boy or a Ph. D candidate, I can not stop thinking that I have a 
share of the tragedy of those language students. The tragedy is in fact 
belong to all Chinese people. Unless China is developed, in a faster speed 
than now, these problems will be exist for long time. In five or six  year's
time, if those students who stole orangees from neighbour's tree can manage to
stay, they may have a chance to accuse the new comers then.

Absolute power currups absolutely. This curruption made the Chinese Communist 
authority collapse in people's mind. Unfortunately, the Government has 
claimed all moral with itself for the past 40 years and destoyed all good
tranditions and religious moral. So that moralty collapse with the
government's image. I suppose the only thing we can do is to promote democracy
and then moral may be restored.  

One thing I can not agree is that Australia is a good place for students to 
make money. In fact many have found it is quite hard. Some restaurant and small 
businesses pay students well below the minimum hourly wage standard.

I personally have experience of $A5.00 per hour in a Chinese restaurant for 
dish washing. It can get lower when large number of language students arrives. 
Due to the economy resession this year, it is extremely hard to find a job. 
About three weeks ago I read from local newspaper that some Australian 
students were paid as low as $A1.00 per hour. 

About the minimum hourly salary, I believe the second reder is correct. My
wife works in a factory as a process worker and earns less than $A8.00 per
hour last year. She is increased to $A8.20 recently. If a worker earns more
than $A10.00, it will be considered high.

Zhang Weimin
South Australian Institute of Technology  
==============================================================================
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Editor/Sender of this Issue:    Bo Xiong   in Chicago, U. S. A.          |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  To subscribe/unsubscribe, send contribution/comment and report problem,  |
|  send e-mail to following addresses:					    |
|  [email-masked]     OR     [email-masked]               |
|			   OR	     [email-masked]	    |
|  To sub. to CND-General, send "sub china-nn firstname lastname" to:	    |
|		  [email-masked]				    |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+