Subject: CND-EP Weekly Posting, April 28, 1990

From: Bo Xiong <yawei>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 90 18:44:39 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+  C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

=====================  Europe / Pacific Section (CND-EP) =====================
                                April 28, 1990
 
---------------------------- Table of Contents ---------------------------
No. Subject                                                     # of Lines

1. Please Give Your Support of June 4th Newspaper Ad in Europe..........45
2. Australia: Language Schools Postpone Refunding Chinese Students 
          Tuitions, PRC Counsellor Made Strong Statements on the Issue..30
3. News Abstracts Of This Week (Twelve Pieces)
   (Mainland China: 4; Taiwan: 1; HK: 3; Europe: 4)....................120
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
**** To contact CND-EP, see the table at the end of this news package ****

1. Please Give Your Support of June 4th Newspaper Ad in Europe       
===================================================================(45 lines)
>From: Kam Chi KAN <[email-masked]>   Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 11:21:02 BST
Source: soc.culture.china

Roger KAN (Assistant of 8000 Miles)
Tel. : London (01-734 1216)                   Fax. : London (01-734 1367)

Address of 8000 Miles
3/F, 3 Macclesfield Street, London W1V 7LB, England.

              Support of June 4th Newspaper Advertisement
              -------------------------------------------
Main title on the advertisement:

        Long Live Democracy !
        Never Forget June 4 !

This advertisement will be advertised in the Front Page of Sing Tao Daily 
Newspaper (Europe edition) on June 4, 1990.

1)  Joint signature for following statement :

        We demand that the China Government should

        i)      end one party dictatorship
        ii)     release political prisoners
        iii)    implement democratic reforms

2)  Anyone who would like to endorse the statement and publish
his/her name on Sing Tao Newspaper, please give name to

        Eight Thousand Miles
        3/F, 3 Macclesfield Street
        London W1V 7LB

3)      i)      Both Chinese and English name
        ii)     3 pounds per people
                (It's for advertisement fee)
        iii)    make your cheque payable to "Sing Tao Limited"
                  (if you pay by cheque)

4)      Deadline of this event is : May 27, 1990.
=============================================================================

2. Australia: Language Schools Postpone Refunding Chinese Students 
              Tuitions, PRC Counsellor Made Strong Statements on the Issue
====================================================================(30 lines)
>From: Bo Xiong <[email-masked]>  Source: World Journal (New York)

On April 18, the Australian Association of English Schools for Overseas
students officially announced to postpone refunding tuition to Chinese
students who were not able to get entry visa to Australia.  The educational
counsellor of Chinese embassy, Chai Peiyi, made strong statement on the issue.
The Chinese counsellor commented, "the fact that Chinese students are not
issued entry visa nor refunded pre-paid tuition on time will cause unhappy
consequences", Counsellor Chai also said, "the hard-earned money of those
Chinese students should be returned to them as per pre-set refund policy
if they cannot get entry visa to Australia".  The counsellor is contacting
Australian Ministry of education to request the Ministry to settle the
question promptly.

Last year, mainland Chinese students surrounded Australian embassy in
Beijing and its consulate in Shanghai to protest Australia's new visa
policy towards foreign students.

It is reported, that the number of new students arriving in Australia
from mainland China is drastically reduced, especially, no one has entered
Australia after the new visa policy came into effect, which pushes several
large Australian language schools (mainly admitting Chinese students) to a
narrow margin to bankruptcy.  Under this situation, it is said that the
arrival of every three new Chinese students makes the refund to one Chinese
student possible.  It's also estimated that only one-third of the Chinese
have got their refund and the rest of them, about 12,000, haven't received
refund from those Australian language schools.
==============================================================================

3. News Abstracts of This Week (Twelve Pieces)
===================================================================(120 lines)
>From: [email-masked]
Source : South China Morning Post/Hong Kong Standard

1) China's rebels in East Berlin
--------------------------------
Chinese dissidents and pro-democracy reformers from the Eastern bloc opened a
joint conference in East Berlin yesterday, despite warnings from China that
the meeting could endanger East Germany's relations with Beijing.
The opening speaker, Chinese dissident leader Yan Jiaqi, stressed that the
democracy movements in Europe, the Soveit Union and China had "much in
common", and forecast an "unprecedented transformation" in China now that it
had been "sown with the seeds of change".

2) Exile groups set to unite
----------------------------
Berlin: China's two main exiled dissident movements are to open talks here
today on forming an alliance against th Beijing government, a spokesman for one
of the groups said yesterday.
The Federation for Democracy in China and the Chinese Alliance for Democracy
"want to work together to advance the democratic movement in China", alliance
executive director Ming Wong said.

3) Zhao criticised in secret session with Politburo
---------------------------------------------------
China's disgraced former Communist Party chief, Mr Zhao Ziyang, was formally
criticised when he appeared last month before Politburo members who met to
discuss his alleged wrongdoing in last year's student-led protest movement,
diplomatic sources said.
Accused of seriously violating party discipline, Mr Zhao was required to answer
questions about his "mistakes" during the period that led to his downfall last
June, but he steadfastly refused to admit any guilt, and his case was left
unresolvd.

4) Party expels Zhao's unrepentant followers
--------------------------------------------
Three leading Communist Party liberals have been effectively expelled from the
party, apparently for refusing to denounce the conciliatiory stand towards  the
student movement taken by the former party chief, Mr Zhao Ziyang.
The three veterans - Mr Du Runsheng, Mr Yu Guangyuan and Mr Li Rui - were each
blocked from renewing their party membership early this month, diplomatic
sources said.

5) Moscow protesters tell Li Peng to go home
--------------------------------------------
Chinese Premier Li Peng arrived in Moscow yesterday to a 200-strong protest
against his visit and China's repression of its pro-democracy movement.
The protest, which Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev had earlier tried to
prevent, was a signal of the problems facing leaders of both countries as they
met for the first time since June 4.
The protesters, mainly students, gathered outside the foreign ministry with
placards bearing slogans including "Li Peng go home", "Stalin and Mao would be
proud of Li Peng" and  "Struggle for your and our freedom."

6) 'Embassy' proposal from nationalist
--------------------------------------
Taiwan yesterday suggested exchanging civilian representative offices with
China to promote growing people-to-people contacts.
The Deputy Premier, Mr Shih Chi-yang, head of Taipei's Mainland Affairs'
Commission, said the nationalists might allow Beijing to set up a civilian
office in Taipei if Taiwan was allowed similar offices on the mainland and in
Hongkong.

7) China wooed for airport investment
-------------------------------------
Financial Secretary Sir Piers Jacobs said April 19 he was optimistic China
would take part in the $127 billion airport and ports project.
He acknowledged the China factor would play a "very, very important" role in
luring international investors.
Sir Piers said the Hongkong Government would provide all the necessary
information to the Chinese government to try to convince it that the project
would be financially viable.

8) Uygurs raided army base, traveller told
------------------------------------------
Beijing: Police threw up roadblocks in the Xinjiang autonomous region after
masked Moslem Uygurs stole guns from a military base near Kashgar, travellers
said yesterday.
The theft reportedly happened before bloody riots on April 5 and 6 in Artux,
north of Kashgar, in which 60 civilians and eight police were said to be
killed, they said.

9) China plots demise of abode deal
-----------------------------------
China is working on measures to counter the British abode package, which it
says will create divisions in Hongkong and speed up the brain drain, according
to mainland sources.
And in a strongly-worded statement yesterday, a Xinhua spokesman said China
"absolutely will not accept" the British proposals and "reserves the right to
take corresponding measures".

10) New rules to hit HK British passport holders
------------------------------------------------
Britain's Labour Party has moved to revoke new immigration rules, quietly
introduced by the Government, which may oblige Hongkong British passport
holders who have previously acquired right of abode to return to the UK to live
or give up their right.
While the rules are not targeted solely at Hongkong British passport holders
they have been introduced coincidentlally with the nationality package, which
grants key people the right of abode without having to leave Hongkong.

>From [email-masked] Thu Apr 26 18:40:41 1990
Source: San Francisco Chronicle (4/26/90)
11) East Germans Vote Karl Marx out of Town
-------------------------------------------
Karl-Marx-Stadt, East Germany - The tide of history that swept
Marxism from East Germany claimed a new victim Tuesday: 
Karl Marx himself.
The residents of this soot-smudged industrial town heard the
results of free elections showing they had voted overwhelmingly 
to drop the name Karl-Marx-Stadt in favor of Chemnitz, which had
been the town's name for centuries until 1953.

>From "mr. yawei" [email-masked] Thu Apr 26 21:42:13 1990
12) (AP) More than 100 killed by strong earthquake in Qinghai
-------------------------------------------------------------
    BEIJING - A powerful earthquake on Thursday killed more than 100 people
and damaged hundreds of homes in a remote region of central China.
    The area is populated mainly by Tibetan herders, officials said.
    The quake Thursday evening measured 6.9 on the Richter scale, striking
Hainan Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture in Qinghai province, about 900 miles
southwest of Beijing.

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Editor/Sender of this Issue:    Bo Xiong   in Chicago, U. S. A.          |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Last CND-EP news package sent out on April 23, 1990                      |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|  To subscribe/unsubscribe, send contribution/comment and report problem,  |
|  send e-mail to:                                                          |
|  [email-masked]     OR     [email-masked]                |
|  OR        [email-masked]                                |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+