Subject: CND-EP Weekly Posting, May 19, 1990

From: <yawei>
Date: Sat, 19 May 90 16:31:30 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+  C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

=====================  Europe / Pacific Section (CND-EP) =====================
                                 May 19, 1990 
 
---------------------------- Table of Contents ---------------------------
No. Subject                                                     # of Lines

1. Chinese in Italy.....................................................30
2. June 4th Memorial, 1990 in the US.....................................5
3. How Mainland Government Recruits Student Agents......................50
4. A Shortened Intro for HK Bill of Rights Ordinance....................95
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
**** To contact CND-EP, see the table at the end of this news package ****

Foreword by the editor of this issue:
   In this issue, we have a report from Italy, thank Jianliang Lu for his
meaningful contribution to CND-EP.  We have had reports from Australia,
United Kingdom, West Germany and Sweden since CND-EP established its
regular service in March, 1990.  We would like to see more reports from
Europe and Pacific areas so that CND-EP could be more colorful and
informative to our readers.  Also, we include an introduction for HK Bill
of Rights Ordinance which draws much attention world-wide recently, the
full text is available from the CND reporter listed below the title of the
introduction.  Due to the limit to the volume, we are not able to carry
News Abstracts of This Week in this issue, however, concerned readers may
subscribe to CND-General to receive daily China-related news.
                                                     Bo Xiong for CND-EP
1. Chinese in Italy
===================================================================(30 lines)
>From: [email-masked] (Jianliang Lu) Source: soc.culture.china
Date: 14 May 90 16:50:52 GMT

     Hello!
     I'm glad to talk with you.
     In a mail Jerry asked me to tell something about Chinese in Italy, I'd 
like to tell something, but I'm sorry for my bad English because here we speak
Italian.
     In Italy there are few Chinese. They are divided in three groups: 
Chinese who work in restaurant, Chinese who study or visit scholar, Chinese 
who work not in restaurant. The first group is majority, and the last group is
minority. There is not communication between these groups because they have 
different interests. 
     The students generally they have good relationship with the Embassy 
because the Embassy control very well them (there are few students). Every
summer the Embassy and Italian-China Institute organize vacation in some 
tourist places.  After the "Tian An Men square" something are changed, the 
students are very worry. I don't know now how the relation between them.
     The Chinese who work in restaurant they are interest only the money, and
don't mind on the politic. They are very closed and haven't the contact with 
the Italian society.
     The Chinese who don't work in restaurant are between that two groups. 
They are almost integrated in the local society.
     This is a brief description on the Chinese in Italy, I'd like to answer
your questions about Italy.
Thanks!
Torino, Italy
By the way, my email address is: [email-masked]
=============================================================================

2. June 4th Memorial, 1990 in the US
=====================================================================(5 lines)
From: Ya Liu <[email-masked]>
        To commemorate the first anniversary of the "June 4th
Massacre", IFCSS is planning to hold memorials simultaneously
in six US cities: Washington D.C., New York, Chicago, San Francisco,
Los Angeles, and Houston. (Detailed schedule omitted)

(IFCSS == Independent Federation of Chinese Students & Scholars in the US)
==============================================================================

3. How Mainland Government Recruits Student Agents
====================================================================(50 lines)
>From: [email-masked]    Source: soc.culture.china
Date: 16 May 90 02:58:12 GMT    Organization: University of Houston

This is a real story told by a friend just came out of China for his PhD 
program. The same story has been happened several times to the different 
students before. Anyway this is the first time I heard from my friend with 
his own personal experience. Here is the story:

Wang, who just got the admission by an USA college, was ringed up by the call 
from Friendship Ofice of Foriegn Affair in a southern province of China. He 
was requested to an appointment at the 4th division of State Security Bureau 
(SBB) of the city. With heavily puzzling and scarling, he agree to have such 
an appointment, especially when he waited for the issure of the passport.

  SSB: After the June 6, we lost a lot of comrades in USA and western Europe.
       Some of them were killed, and some of them abandoned the relationships
       with us. Facing the such facts, we plan to search for more political 
       and economic spies in the graduates to be sent abroad. From our 
       information, you're accepted by the USA college for engineering science 	
       and are applying for the passport. 
 WANG: ....
  SBB: As you know, it usually takes long time to apply passport for the 
       graduate studies abroad through the channel of GongAnJiu. We may help 
       you to speed up the step through our own channel if you agreed to be 
       enrolled to work for us. And again, from the point of views of econimic,
       you may receive some kind of aids. We understand that most of Chinese 
       students have a lot of economic difficulties when they go out for the 
       first time.
 WANG: ....
  SBB: You may not give me an definite answer at this time. We will contact 
       with you further. I may tell you that it's very easy for the jobs of 
       so-called spies. Political spies: write some reports about the thoughts
       and activities of the Chinese graduate around you; Economic spies: give
       us the information of your lab and your conference and your research. 
       I can not tell you more first time, hope we can met together next. Here
       is my phone number, call me then about your decision.
 WANG: ....

WANG was so frighten that he called his friend of GongAnJiu for the such 
urgent situation immediately after he went out of SBB office. His friend 
calmed him that it would not cause any problem to the application of passport 
even if he didn't agree such an enrollment. From then on, he refused to answer
the phone calls from SBB by all kinds of excuse: class, sick in home. It's 
funny that he once got the phone personally by accident, and answered by "He's 
not in the office." 

The story ended by an explaination letter to SBB when he embarked on CAAC to 
Los Angele.
==============================================================================

4. A Shortened Intro for HK Bill of Rights Ordinance
   Editor's note: For full text of the Ordinance and related documents
              (1400 lines in length), please contact the address listed below.
====================================================================(95 lines)
From: CND Reporter "Charles P. Mok  15-May-1990" <[email-masked]>

The Hong Kong Bill of Rights Ordinance 1990 have been published in Hong Kong
some time ago, and the Hong Kong Government have been soliciting comments for
the draft of the Ordinance from the public, until early June.  

In order to allow more people an opportunity to read the Ordinance, discuss 
or make comments on it to the Hong Kong Government, the Association of 
Overseas Hong Kong Chinese for Democracy and Human Rights (AOHKCDHR) of the 
Greater Boston area have entered in the networks the entire text of the 
booklet printed and distributed by the Hong Kong Government for the Hong 
Kong public and will make it available to all.

The first section of the document consists of a commentary on the draft Hong 
Kong Bill of Rights Ordinance 1990, including a background and a summary for 
the Ordinance (519 lines long).  This will be posted in public in the 
appropriate USENET newsgroups and other mailing lists.  Because of its 
length it is inappropriate for posting on China News Digest, but interested
parties may request for it specifically from  [email-masked] .

The second section of the document consists of the full text of the Bill
(842 lines long).  This will be made available to all interested parties from 
[email-masked]  on request.

The third section of the documents consists of the International Covenant on 
Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and International Covenant on Civil and 
Political Rights.  This will be typed up shortly and then it will be made
available also to all interested parties from  [email-masked]  on 
request only.

(This has been made possible by the cooperation of the following AOHKCDHR
members: Chen Hung-Yut, Chu Ming-Chung, Anna Men, Siu Man-Hung and Arthur Tao)

Enclosed is the excerpt on background information for the Hong Kong Bill of 
Rights Ordinance 1990.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BACKGROUND
 
2. In 1948 the General Assembly of the United Nations adopted the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights.  The Declaration set out the general principles
of human rights `as a common standard of achievement for all peoples and all
nations'.
 
3.  The Declaration was, however, simply a set of guidelines, and imposed no
obligation to put the principles it described into practice.  In 1966,
therefore, two human rights treaties, the International Covenant on Civil and
Political Rights (ICCPR), and the International Covenant on Economic, Social
and Cultural Rights (ICESCR) were adopted by the United Nations.  The Covenants
set out the basic human rights and fundamental freedoms, and imposed an
obligation on all States which became parties to them to implement those rights
by all appropriate means.  The Covenants came into force in 1976.  In the
same year the Government of the United Kingdom ratified the Covenants in
respect of the United Kingdom and dependent territories, including Hong Kong.
 
4. In 1984 the British and Chinese Governments agreed that the Covenants
should continue to be applied to Hong Kong after 1997.  The Sino-British
Joint Declaration states that `the provisions of the International Covenant
on Civil and Political Rights and the International Covenant on Economic,
Social and Cultural Rights as applied to Hong Kong shall remain in force'.
This provision is reflected in Article 39 of the draft Basic Law.
 
5.  Until now, the two Covenants have been implemented in Hong Kong, as in
the United Kingdom, through a combination of common law, legistlation and
administrative measures.  This system has not been static, but has evolved
continuously through judicial interpretation of existing legislation and
enactment of new laws; through developments in the common law; and through
refinement of administrative practices.
 
6.  For some time, there has been growing support in the community for the
idea of a single piece of legislation, a Bill of Rights, which would bring
together in domestic law all relevant rights included in the Covenants.  This
idea was raised in a number of contexts, most notably during local discussion
of the first draft Basic Law in 1987; and later, in 1988, at a meeting of the
UN Human Rights Committee in Geneva.  During 1989, public support for such a
Bill increased.  The Government then decided that a draft Bill of Rights for
Hong Kong giving effect in local law to the relevant provisions of the ICCPR,
as applied to Hong Kong, should be prepared and that the draft should be issued
as a White Bill for public consultation.  This boolket contains the draft
Hong Kong Bill of Rights Ordinance 1990.  Part II of the draft Ordinance is
called the Hong Kong Bill of Rights, and its wording follows closely the text
of the ICCPR.
 
7.  The Government considered also including the rights contained in the
ICESCR.  But the provisions of the ICESCR are different in nature from those
of the ICCPR.  In general, they are not rights that can be easily enforced
in the courts.  For this reason the Government decided to concentrate on
civil and political rights in the draft Ordinance.
 
Charles Mok
National Organization Subcommittee/AOHKCDHR

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Editor/Sender of this Issue:    Bo Xiong   in Chicago, U. S. A.          |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Last CND-EP news package sent out on May 12, 1990                        |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|  To subscribe/unsubscribe, send contribution/comment and report problem,  |
|  send e-mail to:                                                          |
|  [email-masked]     OR     [email-masked]                |
|  OR        [email-masked]                                |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+