Subject: CND-EP Special for Australia, June 18, 1990

From: <yawei>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 90 14:36:29 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+  C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

=====================  Europe / Pacific Section (CND-EP) =====================
                                 June 18, 1990

                  Special Issue for CND Readers in Australia
                 (This issue is distributed to Australia only)

      A Recent Article on aus.culture.china Introducing That News Group
===============================================================================
Article 28 of aus.culture.china:
Newsgroups: aus.culture.china
Subject: Introduction to aus.culture.china
>From: [email-masked] (Anthony Lee)
Date: 15 Jun 90 12:38:16 GMT

	*********************************************************
	*** INTRODUCTION TO THE 'AUS.CULTURE.CHINA' NEWSGROUP ***
	*********************************************************

				JUNE 1990

1. Introduction to the aus.culture.china (ACC) newsgroup..............50 lines
	What is aus.culture.china (ACC)?
	The difference between a NEWSGROUP and an E-MAIL list
2. Abbreviations used in ACC..........................................14 lines
3. How to read ACC news...............................................21 lines
4. Let's do something for China.......................................65 lines
5. Current topics on ACC..............................................3  lines

---------
* This article is written to be posted to ACC, aus.general, aus.news, and to be 
distributed by mail to introduce ACC.  If you read electronical NEWS before, 
please distribute a hard copy to your Chinese friends and concerned, and 
ask/show them to access ACC.

	*********************************************************
	*** INTRODUCTION TO THE 'AUS.CULTURE.CHINA' NEWSGROUP ***
	*********************************************************
			(1st edition, June 1990)

What is aus.culture.china?
--------------------------

'aus.culture.china (ACC)' is an electronic newsgroup created on AARnet & ACSnet 
in May 1990.  It can be accessed in any part of Australia where the compute 
systems are linked to AARnet or ACSnet.  People on INTERnet overseas should 
also be able to access it.  ACC is aimed to serve for news, information 
exchange, discussions, debate on China/Chinese affairs for people in Australia 
and those who have links to Australia.

ACC is an neutral newsgroup and is NOT attached to any political organisations.  
Readers ARE the boss of ACC.  You can either participate in the current 
discussions on ACC just by reading the news, or post questions to lead new 
discussions.  You may direct ACC in any direction of your interests.

Everyone is welcome to ACC.  We particularly encourage the Chinese students and 
scholars in Australia to participate in discussions on topics of their 
interests.

As a newsgroup ACC is a free service, which is the best of all.  It is one of 
the best ways for China-concerned people to get information and to communicate 
with each other.

We would gratefully appreciate if you could inform people about ACC and ask 
them to participate in ACC discussions/debates.

The difference between a NEWSGROUP and an E-MAIL list:
-----------------------------------------------------

There are two convenient ways to electronically get and/or distribute 
information: e-mail and bulletin board.  If you happen to be on a mailing list, 
e-mail messages come to your mailbox, which you either have to read or discard.  
If you do not do anything, your mail will soon pile up in your mailbox; while 
you go to read bulletin board you wish. Basically, a newsgroup is a like a  
column on an electronic bulletin board.  But you don't have to live in the same 
town or nearby to read the same bulletin board.  NEWSGROUP articles are stored 
in a public area of a nearby computer shared by many computers  and  users.  A 
program, 'News' in many parts of Australia, is designed to read and to post 
news articles.  You can usually decide if you want to read or to skip articles 
of particular subjects or columns (newsgroups).

NEWSGROUP is particularly useful for public discussions and information 
distribution, while e-mail can be used for fast person-to-person 
communications.

* This article is open for discussion.  We encourage any suggestions to improve 
ACC service.

			********************************
			*** ABBREVIATIONS USED IN ACC ***
			********************************

AGE		---	"The Age" newspaper, Australia;
AUSTRALIAN	---	"The Australian" news paper, Australia;
CND		---	China News Digest, an US based e-mail list on selected China 
			news;
CND-EP	---	China News Digest, Europe-Pacific section;
CND-US/NDUS ---	China News Digest, US section;
CND-CN/NDCN ---	China News Digest, Canadian section;
FDC		---	Federation for Democracy in China
NUCSS		---	National Union of Chinese Students and Scholars;
SCMPost	---	"South China Morning Post" newspaper, Hong Kong;
........

			*****************************
			*** HOW TO READ ACC NEWS? ***
			*****************************

To access ACC news you need a computer account at your institution, mostly on a 
VAX system.  AT the prompt sign "$", typing in 'NEWS' will bring you in NEWS.  
ACC is one of the more than 700 newsgroups currently available on AARnet & 
ACSnet.

NEWS has three levels of windows: (1) a list of all registered newsgroups in 
alphabetic order; (2) a list of current available news items in a selected 
newsgroup; (3) contents of a selected news item in a newsgroup.  A carriage 
"RETURN" will bring you from levels (1) to (3) in most computer systems, while 
"CLOSE" command will bring you from levels (3) to (1).

There is a HELP file for NEWS.  Answers to most NEWS related questions can be 
found in the HELP.

Like all newsgroups, news items on ACC can be read, extracted as a file to your 
personal account, printed via your local printing facilities, and so on.  
People can post articles to ACC from any account on AARnet & ACSnet 
(theoretically), or reply to a particular news item.  Of course, you can send a 
person-to-person e-mail to a particular news post by using the e-mail address 
from the news item you are reading.

			************************************
			*** LET'S DO SOMETHING FOR CHINA ***
			************************************

China has one-fourth of the world population.  China-concerned people are 
countless around the world.  The development of China concerns many people.  
We hope that the Chinese will lead a peaceful, improving life.

Beijing outside of China, there is not much we can do for/about China.  
However, "ocean consists of drops of water".  There is something, probably 
little things, that everyone can do for/about China.

What can I do? one may ask.  The very little thing that everyone can do is to 
keep people informed of China affairs.  You may be the first to be aware of a 
particular piece of news about China/Chinese, or you may have a few free 
minutes to do something.  Type the news down and post to ACC.  Your 
contribution will be appreciated by ACC readers.

We call for volunteers to serve ACC.  Your suggestions for a better ACC are 
welcome.  At the movement, we need people to contribute news to ACC in order to 
inform people in a timely and effectively way.  This job can be done by 
extracting news from newspapers, magazines in English, Chinese, or other 
languages.  Of course, news from non-English sources have to be translated to 
English to post to ACC.

Urgently, we need people to extract news from the following newspapers:

		* The Age;
		* The Australian;
		* Herald;
		* People's Daily (in Chinese, from mainland);
		and so on.

If you have subscribed any newspapers/magazines, we would like to invite you to 
share news with others by extracting important news and post them to ACC.  Such 
contributions could be at any time.  We are particularly grateful if you could 
serve ACC for a week, a month, or longer.

Radio and TV news are particularly welcome.  They are most up-to-date.  People 
might miss some Radio/TV news.  Many would like to get the news confirmed in 
written work.  Your contribution could serve to fill this gap.

In a long term, we encourage people to be organised in any form, which could be 
purely academic.  For example, can the students & scholars in agriculture be 
organised in a certain form?  Information exchange between students/scholar 
could be of significant value for their studies/research.

No matter where you are and where you will be, the social, scientific and 
technical development in China will influence you in one way or other.  We hope 
to explore links with people inside China for discussions on various topics of 
common interests.

There are a lot to do for/about China.

Let's do something for/about China.

Act now!
				'aus.culture.china' newsgroup organisers

					June 1990

* This article is open for discussion.  Any suggestions on the format and      
  language of this article are welcome.

			***************************** 
			*** CURRENT TOPICS ON ACC ***
			***************************** 

Current topics on ACC include (1) Globe activities on the first anniversary of 
the June 4th incident in Beijing, 1989; (2) Status of Chinese nationals in 
Australia.
--
Anthony Lee (Humble PhD student) (Alias Time Lord Doctor) 
ACSnet:	[email-masked]	TEL:+(61)-7-371-2651
Internet: [email-masked]	    +(61)-7-377-4139 (w)
SNAIL: Dept Comp. Science, University of Qld, St Lucia, Qld 4072, Australia

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Editor/Sender of this Issue:    Bo Xiong   in Chicago, U. S. A.          |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  To subscribe/unsubscribe, send contribution/comment and report problem,  |
|  send e-mail to:                                                          |
|  [email-masked]     OR     [email-masked]                |
|  OR        [email-masked]                                |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+