Subject: CND-EP Weekly Posting, June 28, 1990

From: Bo Xiong <yawei>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 00:06:28 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+  C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

=====================  Europe / Pacific Section (CND-EP)  =====================
                                 June 28, 1990
 
---------------------------- Table of Contents ---------------------------
No. Subject                                                     # of Lines

1. Australia: Chinese Students Not to Be Forced to Leave,
              Gov't to Help Languages Students to Get Deposits Refund...27

2. A Trivial, but Not Easy Question
   --- A Job-hunting Story in UK Told by A Chinese Interviewee..........30

3. Chinese Students in USA Will Send Delegation
   to International Student Conference in Poland........................30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editor's note: CND-EP (normally broadcast weekly or biweekly), is a supplement
from:          to daily CND-General and it has basically no overlap with CND-
Bo Xiong       General.  To receive comprehensive China-related news, please
               subscribe to CND-G from the addresses at the end of this news.

1. Australia: Chinese Students Not to Be Forced to Leave,
              Gov't to Help Languages Students to Get Deposits Refund
=====================================================================(27 lines)
>From: CND Editor/Reporter in Australia   <[email-masked]>
Source : The Age (Australia), June 28, 1990

1) Chinese Students Will not Be Forced to Go Back
-------------------------------------------------
The Cabinet has reached an agreement that puts pressure on the Chinese
students to return to China when stituations in China improve. 19,400
Chinese students who arrived before June 20 last year will be granted 
4 year temporary visas. When things improve in China, they should 
return to China whithout forcing to go. Permanent residency would be 
granted at the expiring of the 4 year period if human rights are still
at risk in China. It is still to be decided what social security 
benifits will be granted to the Chinese students. They are allowed to
work. They have restricted rights of family reunion--bringing their
spouses and dependent children. They would be granted permanent 
residency as places were available under the immigration program.

2) Language Students with Financial 
   Difficulties Would Get Government Relief
-------------------------------------------
The (Australian) Government admits that there are difficulties with the
Extensive English Language Courses for Overseas Students. But the Govern-
ment is still keen to foster the education export industry. The Government
is considering ways to refund the deposits to those students in China
whose visas have been rejected. While in Australia, students with financial 
difficulties due to the collapse of language colleges would get a Government 
relief of $100 per week. The money will be provided by the Government for
a period of up to 12 weeks.
===============================================================================

2. A Trivial, but Not Easy Question
   --- A Job-hunting Story in UK Told by A Chinese Interviewee
=====================================================================(30 lines)
>From: [email-masked] (ji.song) Date: 23 Jun 90 14:05:30 GMT
Source: soc.culture.china

	These days I travel around the UK to have interviews.  During the 
interview, a lot of tricky quesitions have been addressed. All of them
expect one Prof. married with a Chinese girl from BeiDa asked me a same
question.
	Why do you want to study here ?
If you haven't prepared this question, you may find it might not easy
to be answered in a sensible way.  The first time I answered.
	I want to study here.
I mean the study is to learn something new.  But the Prof. seems not
satisfied and say "I know you want to study".  
	Everybody may think that is a trivial question.  I remember when
I was in primary, middle even in college.  This question is always asked
by our tearchers.  Everybody just has the same answer:
	I study for the revoulution.
Actually the first lesson in our English course is "Long live Chairman Mao,
A long long life to Chairman Mao".  The second one is "I study English for
the revoultion"
	Okay, how about now.  Can we use the same reply ?  If so, the Prof.
will really be confused .... Some Prof. may think it's a good humour if he
has some background information about China.
	I am sure that others will encounter the same question sooner or later.
Can we have a discussion on it so that we can answer this question more 
sensible in the job interview circumstance ?
	The second question is:
	What is your plan in your future ?
===============================================================================

3. Chinese Students in USA Will Send Delegation
   to International Student Conference in Poland
=====================================================================(30 lines)
From: He Huang <[email-masked]>  Mon, 25 Jun 90 20:22:30 EDT
Subject: Announcement on sending delegation to Poland by IFCSS
(This is an excerpt of original)

        An international student conference is to be held at Warsaw, Poland,
from July 23 to July 28, sponsored by the Independent Student Organization of
Poland. The IFCSS has been formally invited together with other socialist or ex-
socialist country student organizations.  According to the information I
received up to present, Lev Walesa, Premier Mazowievski and many influential
Poland Congressmen are scheduled to address to, or join seminars with the
conferees during the conference.  Every delegation is expected to participate in
a series of lectures, seminars and workshops, the topics of which will include:

        role of science and technology in modern society, ethnic concerns,
        East-Western relationship, economic issue in east European countries,
        transition of a communist country to a modern democracy, prospect on
        the European Economic Community, role of the student in world politics,
        etc.

The IFCSS view the conference as a golden opportunity to establish extensive
contacts, promote mutual understanding, and seek for cooperation with other
student organizations.  The IFCSS also hope that through this conference,
Chinese students could learn firsthand from east European people as they have
just abandoned their totalitarian regime with great endeavor, and started their
programs of democratization and modernization.  IFCSS believe that this is of
great significance, for when the time comes when China undergoes a similar
situation, the Chinese people should be prepared.

        The Council of IFCSS has voted in favor of sending a delegation to War-
saw early this month.
(IFCSS == Independent Federation of Chinese Students & Scholars in USA)

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Editor/Sender of this Issue:    Bo Xiong   in Chicago, U. S. A.          |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Last CND-EP weekly news package sent out on June 23, 1990                |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  To subscribe/unsubscribe, send contribution/comment and report problem,  |
|  send e-mail to:                                                          |
|  [email-masked]     OR     [email-masked]                |
|  OR        [email-masked]                                |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+