Subject: CND-EP Weekly Posting, August 10, 1990

From: Bo Xiong <yawei>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 90 22:38:00 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+  C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

=====================  Europe / Pacific Section (CND-EP)  =====================
                                 August 10, 1990
 
---------------------------- Table of Contents ---------------------------
No. Subject                                                     # of Lines

1. A Sweden-based Newspaper <<Nordic Chinese>> Published................20

2. Beijing People's Comment about People's Daily.........................5

3. Fang Lizhi Pessimistic about the Future of China.....................25

4. Joint Press Release by Three Chinese Organizations in Australia
   on PRC Vice-Minister for Foreign Affaires' Visit to Australia........65
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editor's note: CND-EP (normally broadcast weekly or biweekly), is a supplement
from:          to daily CND-General and it has basically no overlap with CND-
Bo Xiong       General.  To receive comprehensive China-related news, please
               subscribe to CND-G from the addresses at the end of this news.

1. A Sweden-based Newspaper <<Nordic Chinese>> Published
==================================================================(20 lines)
>From: [email-masked] (Yu Zhang)
Source: soc.culture.china     Date: 5 Aug 90 12:06:03 GMT

     The first issue of Nordic Chinese has been published in Sweden on Aug. 1.
This is the first Chinese newspaper published in Nordic countries. It is 
a 4-page paper of A3 size. The editor-in-chief is Mr. Zhu min, who was a
third-year student at the Directing Department of the Central Institute of 
Drama in Beijing, and who is now the executive secretary of Swedish Section
of FDC. The editorial board consists of Zhu Min, Wanzhi (Chen Maiping, an
editor of the literary journal "Today"), Li Li (a young poet, editing the
literary supplement of this newspaper), five others. Beidao, the editor-in-
ichief of Today, is one of main contributors.

     Those who are interested in having free copies of the first few issues
may send the name and address to 
              Mr. Zhu Min, 
              Box 70029, 
              S-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden

or contact him by Tel/Fax: (46-8-) 192586.
==============================================================================

2. Beijing People's Comment about People's Daily
=====================================================================(5 lines)
Edited by CND-Canada Editor Chi Bo  [email-masked]
>From: A CND Editor in US

My boss went to Beijing not long ago.  He told me the following which he
heard over there:

"There is only one thing TRUE in the People's Daily,

  -- the date."
=============================================================================

3. Fang Lizhi Pessimistic about the Future of China
===================================================================(25 lines)
>From: [email-masked] (Wenguo Pei) in Sweden
Source: soc.culture.china       Date: 6 Aug 90 06:28:02 GMT

Dagens Nyheter, the Swedish daily news, published a long interview of Prof.
Fang yesterday. Prof. Fang was interviewed at Cambridge by DN's Arne Ruth,
chief of its culture edition and his Denish colleague from Politiken.

Last september, Prof. Fang received the Freedom Prize by DN and Politiken.
Prof. Fang said in the interview that the freedom prize was the first sign
of support to him and his wife after taking refuge at the American Embassy
in Beijing.

The interview was mainly a personal portrait of Prof. Fang. On the question
the future possibility of China toward democratization, Prof. Fang answered
pessimistically: some of the famous dissedents had said that within 2-3 
years, the communist regime in Beijing will collaps, but Prof. Fang said
that was too optimistic. According to him, this process could take as long
as two decades.

     **** Prof. Fang Lizhi will be invited to visit Sweden again ****

Several institutions are coorganizing the invitation of Prof. Fang to
Sweden, including the Dept. of Chinese Language at Stockholms Universitet
and the Fourth of June Movement in Sweden, an organisation of CSSs.
=============================================================================

4. Joint Press Release by Three Chinese Organizations in Australia
   on PRC Vice-Minister for Foreign Affaires' Visit to Australia
===================================================================(65 lines)
Provided by CND Correspondent in Australia ***@***.anu.oz.au

           The Federation for a Democratic China (Australia)
               GPO Box 2886 ACT 2601 Tel: (06) 247 7253 
               E-Mail: [email-masked]

           The National Union of Chinese Students and Scholars 
             GPO Box 1613 ACT 2601 Tel & Fax: (06) 249 5238 
             E-Mail: [email-masked]
  
                    The Chinese Alliance for Democracy
                 GPO Box 2851 ACT 2601 Tel: (06) 247 2074

                             PRESS RELEASE
                       
                             9 August 1990
                            (FDC  No. 9005)

        ON PRC VICE-MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRES'  VISIT TO AUSTRALIA

  We have learnt that PRC Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mr. Liu Huaqiu 
is now on an official visit to Australia.  He is due to meet top-level 
Australian Government officials and Ministers including Attorney-General 
and Acting Foreign Minister Mr Duffy. Friday 10 August he will preside at 
the opening ceremony of the newly-built PRC Embassy in Canberra with 
attendance of Australian Ministers and many high-level Australian Government 
officials.
   
  The Federation for a Democratic China (FDC), the National Union of Chinese 
Students and Scholars (NUCSS), and the Chinese Alliance for Democracy (CAD) 
notice with great regret that this visit takes place at a time when, as 
senator Evans recently told PRC Minister Qi, there is no substantial 
improvement in human right situation in China. Political dissidents like 
Wang Dan, Liu Xiaobo, Ren Wanding, Wei Jingsheng, Wang Juntao and thousands of 
others remain in prison, and high-handed political repression still very 
much in place. Indeed following the recent visits of Jiang Zemin to Tibet and 
Qiao Shi to Xinjiang the repression will be further increased there. A visit 
like this at such a time when the Chinese authorities are still trying to 
create a false impression of stability while struggling with a much recessed 
national economy  with policies that would keep it in power but at the expense 
of the people and social development of China.

  While it is understandable that trade with China should be given due 
consideration but as Senator Evans stated in Jakarta last week Australian 
foreign policy always puts human rights ahead of trade and economic interests 
-- except China it seems. However, political and appropriate diplomatic 
pressure on the Chinese authorities should also be retained. 

  The PRC nationals in Australia are deeply concerned that this Chinese 
MinisterUs visit will be  yet another signal of returning to "business as 
usual" like the recent visits of PRC Minister Qi and former PM Whitlam.
Moreover, given the already announced Joint Ministerial Economic talks 
followed by the visit of Dr. Blewett to Beijing, it is very hard not to 
conclude that Australia-China relations have already returned to "business 
as usual".  If this is the case, as we see it, then we deplore this 
undertable return to normal relations.  The time is not right yet.  We 
sincerely hope that this visit will not leave an impression that Australia 
is ready to forgive the murderers in Beijing, and forget the Tiananmen 
Massacre. The Chinese people are still suffering from the inhuman treatment 
of their Government; therefore, we expect that the Australian Government will 
always take China's human right situation into account above all else in its 
future dealings with the Chinese Government in the future.The FDC, the NUCSS, 
and the CAD will organise a demonstration at the official opening ceremony of 
the new Chinese Embassy at 11.20 am Friday 10 August 1990.

Media Contact:
(Mr.) Xuedong Zhang; Tel & Fax:(06)249 5238
(Mr.) Jie Gao; Tel: (06) 249 3376.
=============================================================================

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Editor/Sender of this Issue:    Bo Xiong   in Chicago, U. S. A.          |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Last CND-EP weekly news package sent out on August 2, 1990               |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  To subscribe/unsubscribe, send contribution/comment and report problem,  |
|  send e-mail to:                                                          |
|  [email-masked]     OR     [email-masked]               |
|  OR        [email-masked]                                |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+