Subject: CND-EP Weekly Posting, January 10, 1991

From: CND-EP <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 91 00:02:03 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+  C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

=====================  Europe / Pacific Section (CND-EP)  =====================
				January 10, 1991
 
---------------------------- Table of Contents ---------------------------
No. Subject                                                     # of Lines

1. Job Information in Asia Area ........................................55

2. Hong Kong's Frequent-Flyer 'Astronauts' .............................75
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editor's note: CND-EP, normally broadcast 1 or 2 times a week, is a supplement
(Bo Xiong)     to daily CND-General and it has basically no overlap with CND-
	       General.  To receive comprehensive China-related news, please
	       subscribe to CND-G from the addresses at the end of this news.

1. Job Information in Asia Area
====================================================================(55 lines)
>From: Yong-chuan Liu, representing the Global Chinese Students Union
       [email-masked] Wed Jan  9 03:14:24 1991

	      CALL FOR RESUMES BY CHINA TECHNOLOGY SERVICE

Supportted by the Global Chinese Student Union, the China Technology Service
of S. S. LTD (Groups) is calling for resumes. S. S. LTD (Groups) is a company
based in San Francisco with great experience on business in Asian and USA.
Its China Travel Service provides cheap air tickets for IFCSS (USA) members.
In the past, S. S. LTD has grown very fast, with successful business in
travel service, import & export, restaurent, and business consulting.

To initiate China Technology Service program, the ideas are the followings:

After the June 4th, thousands Chinese students studying abroad will stay
abroad for quite a long time for political reasons, instead of returning back
to China imediately. However, most of them are still willing to serve China
in certain ways, even they can not accept the current government. On the other
side, there is also a great need for technology service in mainland China and
Hong Kong. But the bridge was broken by the Chinese government last year.

Therefore, the China Technology Service program will be an alternative to
re-establish the bridge between oversea Chinese students and their motherland,
avoiding governmental linkage. The CTS will do so, by providing opportunities
for oversea Chinese students to help the enterprises in the South coast of
China, and especially the Hong Kong. Hong Kong is in a great shortage of
technology service due to the coming 1997, and a good place for CTS to start.

S. S. LTD has many contacts in Hong Kong and south coast provinces of China,
where many enterprises have expressed the desire for hiring Chines students,
or getting technology service through contracts.

To bridge the both sides, the CTS will mainly provide the following services:
1. Help Chinese students to find jobs in Hong Kong;
2. Representing Chinese students to get technology service orders from Hong
   Kong and south coast provices of China.

CTS will charge very limited operation fee after getting a job for Chinese
students. For technology service, the benefit will be divided among the
students who took the order, and the independent students federation they
belong to, after excluding the operation fee.

Therefore, by doing so, the Chinese students will get a chance to help both
their motherland and their lovely students federation, and only use your
spare time.

In order not to miss this wonderful opportunity, please send resume
(prefer in both English and Chinese) to:

China Technology Service
1426 Filmore St., Suite 203
San Francisco, CA 94115

with a cover letter which states how much percent of the benefit you want to
contribute to the IFCSS you belong to, how much time you might have for
technology service, and the best communication way for you.

Please also include your e-mail address.
==============================================================================

2. Hong Kong's Frequent-Flyer 'Astronauts'
====================================================================(75 lines)
>From: CND Correspondent [email-masked] Mon Jan  7 19:15:22 1991

Source: Sunday San Francisco Examiner, January 6, 1990.  Sunday Punch section.
	By Kathy Chen, Hong Kong (Reuters)

They spend their time shuttling back and forth across the world and racking up
a fortune in long-distance phone calls, maintaining a constant balancing act
between continents, cultures and time zones.

They are Hong Kong's "astronauts," as local Chinese call them, a growing number
of men who have chosen to raise their families in one country and pursue their
careers in another.

With the return of capitalist Hong Kong to Communist Chinese control in 1997,
many of the British colony's elite are leaving.  About 62,000 people were
expected to leave this year alone.

While the figure continues to rise, an increasing number of emigrants are
coming back, lured by better job opportunities and a last chance to make some
fast money.

"It's not easy in the United States," sighed Warren Chow, 50, a businessman
who returned to work in Hong Kong four years ago after settling his family in
California in 1985. "I earn about $6,400 a month here but couldn't make more
than $2,000 if I worked for someone in the States."

Classis hardship facing emigrants, such as language barriers, cultural
differences and the challenge of building a new life from scratch, cause other
Hong Kongers to return.  The government has no formal statistics on
"astronauts," although their numbers are growing, along with those of
returning families, officials and employment agencies said.

Between 30 percent and 60 percent of emigrants are coming back to Hong Kong,
filling important posts left behind by the departure of skilled professionals,
Deputy Director of Adminstration Regina Ip estimated.  More than 240,000
people, leery of eventual Beijing rule, have emigrated from this colony of 6
million since 1984, when Britain and China signed a Joint Declaration on Hong
Kong's future.

"The number of 'astronauts' is increasing because the economies in the U.S.
and Australia aren't doing so well right now," said Amy Lau, director of
Boyden International, an executive emloyment firm. "There's no point in not
coming back after taking a month to settle the family abroad."

Chow, like many others, opted to keep his familiy in the United States while
he returned to run a striving trading company here.

"My four teenage kids prefer living and going to school in the States," the
balding, soft-spoken businessman said. "I didn't want to take a gamble (on
Hong Kong's future), and I wanted to give them a choice."

While "astronauts" command higher incomes in Hong Kong, the effects of a
global commuting lifestyle can be costly.  Chow juggles a tricky schedule
based on local holidays, airplane booking availability and shifting time
zones so that he can work and see his family.

"It's a very tiring life," said banker Stanley Tam, who has flown to see his
family in Toronto seven times in the past 2 1/2 years.

Divorce rates are high, "astronauts" and headhunters said, because of the
distance and the pressure on the wife in adjusting to life in a new country
and in raising children on her own.

Other emigrants, such as securities broker Kenneth Kwok, prefer to return to
Hong Kong together with their families after fulfilling residency requirements
in their new country.

"I returned with my wife and two kids this summer after we fulfilled our
two-year residency in Sydney," he said.  He will try to make as much money as
he can before going back to Australia in 1995, he said.

For most astronaut families, the arrangement is meant to be short-term.  Tam -
not his real name - said his wife and two children would join him in Hong Kong
in a few months.

"I'm more of a family man than a career man," he said. "(The cost of
separation) are not worthwhile, especially if you have children."
==============================================================================
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Editor/Sender of this Issue:    Bo Xiong   in Chicago, U. S. A.          |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  To subscribe/unsubscribe, send contribution/comment and report problem,  |
|  send e-mail to following addresses:					    |
|  [email-masked]     OR     [email-masked]               |
|			   OR	     [email-masked]	    |
|  To sub. to CND-General, send "sub china-nn firstname lastname" to:	    |
|		  [email-masked]				    |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+