Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4018: MFN

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1992 12:31:10 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4018    September 15, 1992
                MFN BILL PASSED SENATE
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

                MFN Bill Passed Senate
                ======================

     On Monday, September 14, the Senate passed a bill placing
conditions on the renewal of China's most favored nations
status. Since the bill has passed the House earlier, it will
be sent to President Bush who will likely veto the bill.

     In another event related to China, a congressional commission
recommended on September 14 that the United States create a new
radio network that would broadcast daily news to China and other
Asian nations under totalitarian governments.

     On the protection bill, no definite date has been set for
the Senate to consider the bill, but like in the House, the
Senate may pick up the bill at any time. There was a possibility
in last week, but a Senator died and legislative activities
in the Senate was suspended last Friday. We believe that between
today and this Friday, the bill will be picked up by the
Senate.

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************