Subject: Question about Birth Certificate (IFCSS HQ NR-4081)

From: IFCSS HQ <ifcss>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1992 19:14:15 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4081     December 15, 1992
           QUESTIONS ABOUT BIRTH CERTIFICATE
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

           Questions about Birth Certificate
           =================================

Dear IFCSS Members:

     As the Administration is still in the transition period,
we have not made any progress regarding the implementation
of the '92 Chinese Student Protection Act.

     However, the HQ has prepared a Q&A article regarding some
issues to which we do have reasonable answers. The article was
published in World Journal (Weekly Edition), and it will be
published in IFCSS Newsletter. There is an email edition of
the IFCSS Newsletter maintained by IFCSS Chinese Community
Information Center. For more information about the CCIC and
its services, please send email to      [email-masked]

     The following question was not discussed in the article.
It is about the birth certificate. From the general CSS
community, the HQ has learned that:

     a. Many students were told that a birth certificate would
be required to apply for adjustment of status.
     b. Many students have asked their families and friends in
China to apply for such certificates;
     c. Some were rejected by the Chinese Public Security Bureau
which asked for a recommendation letter from the Chinese diplomatic
offices in the U.S.;
     d. Some Public Security Bureaus raised the application
fees to 300-400 Chinese Yuan.

     Please pay attention to the following advise:

     It is not necessary to have a birth certificate from China.
The INS has been accepting passport as a legally acceptable
document for date of birth in cases of Chinese nationals.

     Thanks for your attention.

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
*                   The Missions of IFCSS                           *
* Promote freedom, democracy, human rights and rule of law in China *
* Assist the development of  scienece, culture and economy in China *
* Represent the interests of Chinese students and scholars in U.S.A *
* IFCSS is a non-profit organization and has tax-exempt status.     *
*********************************************************************