Subject: IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 6004, August 10, 1994: FAQ about IFCSS Medical Insurance Plan (I)

From: hq (IFCSS Headquarter)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 94 23:20:42 CDT

&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

  The Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars
              *  Headquarters  *  News Release  *                 

                   No. 6004, August 10, 1994 

&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
                            
To follow up our previous news release on the IFCSS Medical
Insurance Plan 1994 (News Release 6003), which has generated a
number of responses and inquiries from interested readers, we
present you with a list of FAQ and the answers to them. If you
have any further questions after you read through this, we would
appreciate your directing them to either us or IGS.  We welcome
the opportunity to clarify things for you to make your life
easier. Thank you for your attention.  

Questions & Answers About the IFCSS Medical Insurance Plan (I)

Q. How do I enroll in the plan?
A. Complete an application and mail with your premium payment to  
   IGS, 10530 Rosehaven St. Suite 350, Fairfax, VA 22030.

Q. When can I expect my enrollment to be complete?
A. IGS is very current on enrollments. Normally, it takes about 7 
   days from the day IGS receives the application. Allow time for 
   mailing. Avoid problems by enrolling early. Don't wait until   
   the day before you require coverage to enroll.

Q. My university requires me to show proof of insurance as soon   
   as possible. Can you do this?
A. Yes. IGS will send a copy of your enrollment proof to your     
   university if you request it. If necessary, IGS will fax a     
   copy of your proof to your university. Enrolling early will    
   avoid this need in most cases.

Q. Does IGS have Chinese speaking representatives?
A. Yes, Dehang Chen is available Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m.  
   to 5:00 p.m. EST. Currently, IGS is training two additional    
   Chinese speaking representatives.

Q. Does the IFCSS plan cover Chinese students that have Permanent 
   Residency? 
A. Yes. You must meet the eligibility requirements regarding      
   participation in educational activity.

Q. Am I covered in other states and countries?
A. Yes. Coverage is valid in all states and countries, even in    
   China (there is a limit of $1,000 in your home country).

Q. When can I purchase the IFCSS Medical Insurance Plan?
A. The current 1994 policy can be purchased until December 31,    
   1994 for any period up to 12 months. If you purchase now, your 
   rates for the next period purchased will be the 1994 rates.    
   You will also be entitled to a significant amount of rebate.   
   Effective dates after January 1, 1995 will be subject to the   
   1995 rates yet to be determined.

Q. How do I claim benefits if I am sick or injured?
A. With your ID card, you will receive a claim form. Simply       
   complete the claim form, and attach your bills to the claim    
   form. Mail this to IGS. IGS will process your claim promptly   
   and will send you a notice when the claim has completed        
   processing. If your claim is complete, the process takes about 
   7 to 10 days. 

Q. Am I qualified for a waived or reduced deductible?
A. Most medical insurance plans do not cover the initial $50          
   incurred in each claim.  In comparison, if your school's       
   enrollment in the IFCSS Medical Insurance Plan reaches 50      
   persons or more, IFCSS Medical Insurance Plan waives your $50  
   deductible for services rendered at your school's Student      
   Health Center.  In other words, all claims incurred at your    
   school's Student Health Center will be paid at 100% with no    
   deductible.  Enrollment of 50 persons or more in your school   
   will also entitle you to a reduced deductible of $25 in each   
   claim if your school's Student Health Center refers you to     
   another health care provider.

Q. Other plans are available to me. Why should I buy the IFCSS    
   plan?
A. There are many different plans available today in the          
   insurance market. Some offer lower rates but offer lower       
   benefits. The lower benefits are not always easy to find. Read 
   your policy carefully to avoid any problems. You may consult   
   your International Students Advisor.  IFCSS is not-for-profit. 
   Other companies are all for profit and have been using their   
   association with IFCSS for their own personal gain.  IFCSS     
   works on your behalf for many issues.  Insurance is just one   
   of the many products that IFCSS has made available to you.     
   Furthermore, by enrolling in the IFCSS Medical Insurance Plan, 
   your school's Chinese students association will be able to     
   receive a substantial amount of activity fund from IFCSS.  

   The IFCSS Medical Insurance Plan is now in its 4th year. The   
   plan is very strong, stable and reliable. This plan is         
   administered by International Group Services (IGS), one of the 
   oldest firms in this industry.  IGS is endorsed by the         
   National Association of Foreign Students Advisors (NAFSA).     
   NAFSA has reviewed IGS's financial stability, its quality of   
   service and its procedures.  IGS meets their high standards.   
   This guarantees that you are buying a good insurance plan.     
   Over the years, IGS and IFCSS have worked hard to provide      
   students and their families with the best coverage at the      
   lowest rate possible.  The IFCSS Medical Insurance Plan is     
   backed by one of the largest insurance companies in the U.S.,  
   Pan American Life. 

Q. What other IFCSS medical plans are available?
A. IFCSS offers a dental plan called PlanPlus.  For just $36.00   
   per year, you receive a card that allows you to save           
   significant money at local dentists in your area.  For $72.00  
   per year, you and your entire immediate family receive         
   discounts.

   IFCSS also offers the Ambassador Plan.  This plan is ideal for 
   family and friends that are traveling to the U.S. for short    
   periods of time.  The rates are based on age of the person     
   applying and coverage desired.

For More Information About the IFCSS Medical Insurance Plan,
Please Call IGS at 1-800-394-2500, or IFCSS at (202)347-0017.

***************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                   *
*                                                             *
*  733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C. 20005   *
*           Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018            *
*                    Email: [email-masked]                      *
*-------------------------------------------------------------*
* PBS-L is IFCSS' news distribution list for individuals. To  *
* sign on/off from PBS-L, please send email to                *
*                    [email-masked]                       *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:       *
*   (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last_name first_name      *
*   (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last_name first_name    *
* For IFCSS Service Program, FTP to ifcss.org: ifcss/services *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to                  *
*                   [email-masked]                      *
***************************************************************