Subject: IFCSS HQ News Release NR6009: Latest Situation about Chen Ziming

From: hq (IFCSS Headquarter)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 94 11:21:43 CDT

&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

   The Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars
               *  Headquarters  *  News Release  *

                  No. 6009, September 22, 1994

&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

                    Latest Situation About Chen Ziming

     The IFCSS HQ has been contacting Mr. Chen Ziming, one of the
leading democratic activists in China, and his family through
various channels in order to learn the latest development after
Chen Ziming's surgery (see the News Release of China Institute
attached at the end of this message).

     Ms. Wang Zhihong, wife of Chen Ziming, had told us that she
had demanded the government to allow Chen Ziming to live in an
environment suitable for his recovery and fit to his medical
parole status that the government had claimed to have granted to
Chen.  Specifically, she has requested that:

     (1) Chen Ziming be allowed to take walk outside of his
apartment building at will;

     (2) The friends and relatives be allowed to visit, and Chen
Ziming be allowed to return the visits;

     (3) The clients of Ms. Wang Zhihong's computer business be
allowed to visit, since it is the only financial income of the
family now;

     (4) The cost of medical treatment be paid.

     The government has not responded since she made the demands
to the Bureau of Public Safety more than a week ago.

     Wang Zhihong is looking for hospitals and good doctors for
further medical treatment of Chen Ziming after he recovers from
the surgery.

     Despite the grave situation, Chen Ziming is still upbeat in
spirit and ready to start his study through correspondence with
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.

     The HQ has sent $1,000 donation to Chen Ziming to help him
and his family in this difficult time.

================================================================
------- Attachment: News Release of The China Institute -------

           What Is The Chinese Government Doing To Chen Ziming?

     Last week, Chen Ziming, a leading Chinese dissident and
democratic leader, was diagnosed with cancer.  Although his
illness has long been known to the outside world, the Chinese
government has prevented him from receiving the proper medical
treatment, even after his diagnosis.  The Chinese authorities
have continually lied about Ziming's parole status.  Increased
police harassment is further jeopardizing Ziming's physical
condition and recovery.

     In order to convince the Clinton Administration to grant
China MFN status, the Chinese government claimed to release Chen
Ziming under medical parole.  But this was a scam.  According to
our sources, the government never went through the necessary
legal procedures to formally grant Chen Ziming a medical parole
for treating his illness in compliance with China's law. 
Instead, a security officer recently told Ziming that he has
never been on medical parole, but is actually considered a
prisoner that "has his apartment as the prison cell". 
Consequently, Chen Ziming is not permitted to leave his house or
have visitors.

     Authorities were deliberately keeping Ziming's physical
condition vague until last week when they rushed him to the
Beijing Renmin Hospital for an emergency operation on the cancer. 
Dozens of secret police accompanied Ziming to the hospital,
intimidating many of the medical staff and other patients.  The
authorities pressured the hospital to quickly release Chen
Ziming, before the doctors had time to complete standard
treatment procedures.  For instance, Chen was refused standard
testing to determine how far the cancer has spread.  Hence, by
refusing standard tests and treatments or a follow-up
examination, the Chinese government is impairing Ziming's chances
of a full recovery and the elimination of the cancer.

Executive Director: Drew Liu
September 16, 1994

***************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                   *
*                                                             *
*  733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C. 20005   *
*           Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018            *
*                    Email: [email-masked]                      *
*-------------------------------------------------------------*
* PBS-L is IFCSS' news distribution list for individuals. To  *
* sign on/off from PBS-L, please send email to                *
*                    [email-masked]                       *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:       *
*   (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last_name first_name      *
*   (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last_name first_name    *
* For IFCSS Service Program, FTP to ifcss.org: ifcss/services *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to                  *
*                   [email-masked]                      *
***************************************************************