Subject: CSS Today (9404)

From: hq (IFCSS Headquarter)
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 94 10:07:18 CDT

############################################################################
      T h e  E l e c t r o n i c   N e w s l e t t e r   o f   I F C S S
%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=
          _____________      _____________      ______________
         /   _____     }}   /    _________}}   /    __________}}
        /   //    }____}}  {    {{________    {    {{_________
        |   ||    _____     \_________    }}   \__________    }} 
        \   \\____}    }}    _________}   }}    __________}   }}
_________ \____________// __{_____________// __{______________//____________
           
          ]]]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]]   ]]]]]]]  ]]]   ]]]
             ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]]  ]]   ]]
             ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]]]]]]]   ]] ]]
             ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]]    ]]]
             ]]]     ]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]]  ]]]   ]]]    ]]]
 
%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=
Press Desk <[email-masked]>         October 27, 1994               No.94004
%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=
 
IN THIS ISSUE:                                                   No of Lines
============================================================================
              *** _________ PressDesk Commentary _______ *** 
1. Citizen's Right to a Passport Is Undeniable .......................... 16
         
              *** ________ Face-To-Face Dialogue _______ ***
2. IFCSS Activists Write to Luo Ning on Xu Yi Case ...................... 35
 
              *** __________ In the Community __________ ***
3. What to Learn? - CBS Incident Follow-up (3 Items) ................... 100
 
              *** _________ Quote of The Issue _________ ***              
4. Who Is Sponsoring IFCSS These Days ................................... 17

              *** _____ 1-800 Lines: phone service _____ ***              
5. IFCSS Endorsed Sprint Long Distance Phone Service .................... 19
============================================================================
 
===================== <<<<< PressDesk Commentary >>>>> =====================
1. Citizen's Right to a Passport Is Undeniable .......................... 24
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

A Citizen's right to a passport for personal identification is one of the 
basic rights everyone should enjoy. However, it has been a sad reality that
the Chinese government officials have practiced otherwise. They have been
denying to renew/issue passport for quite a few Chinese nationals in the
United States for political or other reasons. Such practice is a gross 
violation of internationally accepted principles, and it is intolerable.

Among this group of people who have been deprived of their rights to a 
passport are some CSS activists. Recent case of Mr. Xu Yi's trouble in
getting his passport renewed is another example.

IFCSS has been doing a great job in protecting the interests of CSS in the
US, among many of its achievements in the past 6 years. IFCSS will continue
its work in these directions. For Mr. Xu Yi's case, the IFCSS HQ has paid
attention from the beginning. Dr. Luo Ning has been in contact with Mr. Xu
Yi. The HQ is also making efforts to contact various agencies to have this
long time problem solved completely including that HQ has sent a letter to
PRC Embassy concerning the passport issue.  We will let you be informed of
any progress made on the way. If anyone is having similar problem, please
don't hesitate to contact the IFCSS HQ. 

Here let's reiterate IFCSS's firm stand on this issue: Any Chinese citizen
is entitled to a passport. Any practice otherwise is not acceptable. 

==================== <<<<< Face-To-Face Dialogue >>>>> =====================
2. IFCSS Activists Write to Luo Ning on Xu Yi Case ...................... 35
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
>From: <[email-masked]> 10/25/94 
 
Dear Mr. Luo:
 
A few weeks ago some of us wrote to you regarding incidents in which IFCSS
activists were harassed by the Chinese consulate in New York because of
their participation in IFCSS activities, urging IFCSS HQ to take up the case
and act to protect the rights of its most loyal followers.
 
Yesterday, Mr. Xu Yi, one of the lastest harassment victims of the said
consulate, brought his case to the public.  In his efforts to publicize his
case, Mr. Xu has submitted materials to Dignity, HXWZ, CND, the Press
Freedom Guardian, the World Journal.  So far, Dignity has published a
special issue on the case.
 
Now that Mr. Xu's case is publicized, we think it is only appropriate that
IFCSS respond promptly by getting in contact with the consulate, and make
IFCSS's official stand on the case heard and heeded, so that not only Mr.
Xu's grievances shall be properly addressed as soon as possible, but also
similar cases shall not repeat themselves in the future.
 
We look forward to seeing IFCSS action on Mr. Xu's case.
 
Sincerely,
 
(signed)
 
Liu, Yuhe
Lu, Ping
Lu, Wenhe
Luo, Li-Shi
Xing, Zheng
Zhang, Kangcong
 
October 22, 1994
 
======================= <<<<< In the Community >>>>> =======================
3. What to Learn? - CBS Incident Follow-up (3 Items) ................... 100
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
(1) From: Qing Yang <[email-masked]> 10/25/94
 
Dear Friends,
 
I just want to say thanks to you guys for the excellent jobs done regarding
the CBS news report about Chinese students. As a Chinese, I appreciate your
efforts in helping our fellows here in America. I can perfectly understand
that it is not easy to get to this point where she says a few words in the
evening news although I am still not happy with what she has done so far.
The negative impacts of her news report upon Chinese students here will be
very significant and will be there for quite a while in the near future. 
The damages caused by the news are hard to evaluate.
 
Sincerely,
 
Qing Yang, Associate Professor
President of Huazhong University of S. T. Alumni Assoc in North-America
            _ _ _ _ _      _ _ _ _ _      _ _ _ _ _ 
 
(2) From: [email-masked] (Mai-Tram N Nguyen)
    Source: soc.culture.china, 10/20/94
    Subject: IFSSC blows it big time
 
We are very impressed on how fast the IFSSC reacted to the Connie Chung
story and the research and support they have shown.  But somehow we were
not impressed on how they dealt with the media.  It seems very child like
not to listen to others when advice is given and this is where the
inmaturity of the IFSSC comes in.  What media experience do they have? It
seems like none. They may all be professionals or striving to be
professionals some day, but they have a long way to go.  Their recent
dealings with the media and CBS over the Connie Chung story get a big F in
performance.  They should have controlled their bitterness and outrage in
dealing with CBS and the media.  They have a lot to learn in what steps are
to be taken and how to act. 
   
Also they should also control their own members in a meeting, there is no
place for screaming and uncontrollable outburst.  Those actions belong in
first grade.  I seriously hope in their next endeavour with the U.S. media
that they will learn from the child like ways and compose a more rounded
approach in the future.  
            _ _ _ _ _      _ _ _ _ _      _ _ _ _ _ 
 
(3) From: Huang Lin <[email-masked]>
    Source: soc.culture.china, 10/25/94
    Subject: Come on, where were you "professionals" when you were needed?

Five month has passed, and only to this point when CBS offered full apology
then some one cries for professionalism, gentle manners! It is, very 
professional and mature to downplay "immature" students' role, since in 
this way, it is perfect to show how good they are! If it was not for those
"immature" students, played in a non-professional nor gentleman's way, CBS
would never apologize, that is certainly for sure.
 
The cries to perfect the operations done by "immature" students in protesting 
CBS's mob-slinging on all Chinese in this country seem no less admirable
than the courage of the students, but don't you think it comes a bit too
late?
 
It's been five months since the CBS Incident Committee has been calling
around for help, ESPECIALLY professional help.  Where were these
perfectionists then?
 
It is perfectly commendable to strive for perfection, who would not?
However, when I hear these lecturing words like "why can't do it in a more
gentlemen way -- it make you look more professional?" at the moment when
almost all work has been accomplished. I can't help but to recall the
doubters' cries at the beginning of this campaign (five months ago!) such as 
"who are WE?  We can't fight CBS!"  Perfectionism has been used many times
before by Chinese as an excuse for inaction when facing with discrimination,
for fearing of losing.  Fortunately, the members of the CBS-IC didn't take
this kind of "wiseman's lessons", and THAT started off the course on a new
direction and eventually won.
 
In fact, what CBS-IC has done are not only doing research on data related to
the issue (we Chinese have been recognized by the world as excellent in
research study) and sending protesting letters around (which we have learned
in recent years), but also daring to confront the corporate leaders of CBS
News face-to-face and to argue with them.  It was the sharp challenges of
Xiao Dong that put the CBS News' president off the balance. Moreover, it was
this kind of straightforward communication which made CBS News to truly
understand our feelings.  One of the weakness of Chinese in
communicating with other people in this country is unwillingness to share
our true feelings with them.  We have been used to play smart, stay quiet,
and behave polite.  How much was the success these our "old traits" in
fighting against discriminations?  Very little.  To reach to other people's
heart, we have to speak from our heart.  We feel that the slanderous CBS 
program has defamed everyone of us and we are very angry about this, why 
hide it?!
 
Another "old" habit of our Chinese, which has defeated ourselves many times
before, is to fight among ourselves with more zeal than we do in protecting
our community.  One factor for the success of this time in protest against
CBS News is that many Chinese organizations work together and speak as one
voice.  I had wished that those "internal-fighters" would learn something
from it.  It's sad that some still haven't.
Mr. Mi Mi, Sr., Coordinator of CBS Incident Committee %
 
====================== <<<<< Quote of The Issue >>>>> ======================
4. Who Is Sponsoring IFCSS These Days ................................... 17
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(1) From: Mr. Shannon Yeh <[email-masked]> 
    Source: soc.culture.china, soc.culture.taiwan, 10/19/94
 
I realize that the Taiwan authority gave money to ifcss during the past.
Since the last Summer when the club was re-elected, however, I no longer
know who delivers money to ifcss?  Can anybody clarify this for me?
Thanks in advance.
 
(2) From: [email-masked]
    Source: soc.culture.china, 10/20/94
 
Today's IFCSS get their money from the Chinese government.  It is similar
to the old Lian2 Yi4 Hui4 at the US universities before 1989.
 
Guoming
 
================== <<<<< 1-800 Lines: phone service >>>>> =================
5. IFCSS Endorsed Sprint Long Distance Phone Service ................... 19
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: [email-masked] (Yegang Wu)
Subject: Re: Sprint phone --Is this what you need?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 94 11:41:41 EDT

Sprint -- the IFCSS Endorsed Long Distance Phone Service

	Sprint Worldwide program offers an easy way to save cost on all
calls, any day, any time.  The first minute and all additional minutes are
the same low rate for each call.  If you spend between $25 and $49.99 on
long-distance calls during any month, you'll automatically receive a 10%
discount on that months bill.  spend $50 or more and receive an 
automatic 20% discount.  These discounts apply to all international, 
domestic, collect and phone card long-distance calls and are calculated on
each months total charges.  Theres no expiration date for these savings. 
For a $3 monthly fee, Sprint Worldwide offers  a lasting savings 
program.
	Sprint has a long time collaborative relationship with IFCSS. 
CSS community benefit from Sprints high tech, high quality service 
both individually and collectively.  Please call 1-800-800-8888 for any 
question and service (mention code IFCSS).

###########################################################################
|                 Editor of this issue: DING Yungui                       |
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |
|       IFCSS, 733 15th St. N.W., Suite 440, Washington, DC 20005.        |
|               Phone: (202)347-0017; Fax: (202)347-0018                  |
| _______________________________________________________________________ |
| The Press_Desk serves for multichannel communications among CSS & IFCSS.|
| Please send your comments, questions, criticisms and anything concerning|
| a healthy establishment of IFCSS to:                <[email-masked]>   |
|                                                                         |
| To subscribe to IFCSS Press_Desk publications, please send mail to      |
|                      [email-masked]                                 |
| with the mail body:  sub PBS-L last_name first_name (for signing on)    |
|                 or:  unsub PBS-L last_name first_name (for signing off) |
| For more information about IFCSS, its Service Program and publications, |
| ftp/gopher to <ifcss.org> or use mosaic (www) to: http://ifcss.org:8001/|
###########################################################################