Subject: HQ NR #9513: Communication On Joint Lobby Efforts (1)

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 95 03:49:37 GMT

Please Help Forward This Post To Local Public Nets - Thank You
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSREL
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^

           *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7013   *  *  *
                    _________  August 6, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[         ______
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    _________
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington, DC 20005
            Tel: (202) 347-0017              Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

           Communication On Joint Lobby Efforts (I)

1. From: Jan Pederson, American Immigration Lawyer Association

Dear Mr. Xing Zheng,  IFCSS:

Thanks for your note.   There  is grave  danger to all immigrants with HR
1915, called the "Smith Bill"  because   it was introduced by Congressman
Lamar Smith of Texas on June 21.     Please read my article under   "work
visas   threatened".  In summary, the bill would    abolish extraordinary
ability visas, outstanding professor/researcher visas, "national interest"
visas and   would limit professionals to those with at least  five  years
experience. The Immigration Subcommittee completed its markup on 7/20 and
reported it to the  full House Judiciary Committee,   which will consider
the bill and hold markup in early September.  This is a bit of a reprieve
as the sponsors were   actually trying to get it passed before the August
recess.  With lightning  speed.  By the way, on the family side, the bill
would abolish visas for  children over 21, brothers and sisters of  citi-
zens and would prohibitchildren from getting green cards for parents  un-
less 50% of the children are in the U.S.   (legally) and the parent   has
health insurance equal to Medicare/Medicaid.  The sponsors basically want
to abolish immigration.  It is important to  mobilize employers,  univer-
sities and all people to call, write and fax their Congressmen and  Sena-
tors as well as all members of the House Judiciary  Committee.     Urgent
action needed now.

I have been advised by two Congressmen who oppose   limiting  immigration
that the Asian community in America is key and one of our only chances to
stop   the bill as the bigoted, racist people behind the Bill are  mostly
Republican,    although there are plenty of Democrats,  and   Republicans
believe Asians vote for them. In addition, to mobilizing every person and
organization to call and write Congress, it would be helpful if you could
get pro-immigrant stories in the news.     All we ever see are anti-immi-
grant  stories and this is very disheartening,   especially since  papers
like The New  York Times are supposedly liberal and not racist.    But if
you read articles    during the last year, all you see are anti-immigrant
stories designed to inflame and fuel anti-immigrant racist sentiments.

Just imagine.  This has all come about because the skin color    of immi-
grants has changed.  People of color are immigrating, not white Europeans
and you can be certain we would not have this tidal wave sweeping America
opposing  all immigration.  Our enemy is FAIR, a virulent anti-immigrant,
powerful,   well-financed and funded organization which is always in  the
news opposing  all immigration.  They are largely responsible for   Prop.
187 in California.

Thanks for all your concern.  I will post aritlces to our newsgroup,  alt.
visa.us as information becomes available.  Let me know what you are doing.

Each person counts.

Best regards.

Jan Pederson
American Immigration Lawyer Association

                        *   *   *   *   *

2. From: John T. Mitchell, Aren Forx Kintner Plotkin & Kahn,
   Washington, D.C

August 1, 1995

Xing Zheng, President, Independent Federation of
Chinese Students and Scholars, 733 15th, Suite 440
Washington, D.C. 20005

Dear Zheng:

Following up on our discussion last week, I am enclosing an  analysis  of
H.R 1915 prepared by Aren Fox. I is geared toward getting the word out to
businesses which may be interested in helping fight it. It is, therefore,
very short, and does not go into   technical detail.   Nevertheless,   it
touches on all of the key changes being proposed.

You will also see that    it does not go   into any detail concerning the
coalition of business.    It is intended to be something you can go ahead
and   send to interested business contacts you make, while   leaving  for
later the actual structure of any coalition which may develop. Businesses
which take   an early lead in this will, of course, have a say in how the
coalition is to be structured and governed.

My colleagues, Lynn Frendt Shotwell,   has already  done some preliminary
work   on this bill, and will be able to assist in any lobbying effort. I
suggest   that we find a time to meet with her to explore the alternative
opportunities. Perhaps such a meeting would be most productive after  you
and your staff have received some feedback from the business community.

Warm regards,

John T. Mitchell, Esq.
Arent Fox Kintner Plotkin & Kahn, Washington, D.C.

(Enclosure: Omitted)

                            *   *   *   *   *

3. From: [email-masked]

I fully support the campaign to block the anti-immigration bill H.R.1915.
I think IFCSS should distribute model letters (a few versions) and those
committee members addresses  so that we can transfer the letter and make
few modifications and send them out to   every member of the committees.
This would be very efficient.

                           *   *   *   *   *

4. From: [email-masked]

Dear IFCSS HQ Officers:

In response to your message about the anti-immigration bill  in the U.S.
Congress, may I suggest the following actions:

     1.  Summarize H.R. 1915 and distribute the summary to
         national news media like the NY Times, Washington Post,
         ABC, NBC, CBS, radio networks, and local newspapers;

     2.  Spell out the adverse impact this bill, if passed, will
         have on the current and future economy and society of
         this country; distribute the analysis to the news media;

     1. and 2. are urgent and necessary because -- I was told by
     the e--mail messages -- the anti-immigration bill was little
     publicized and therefore little known to the general public.

     I know there has always been an anti-immigration trend in
     this country, but a sizable portion of the American population,
     much of it U.S. citizenry, is NOT against immigration.

     3.   Call every local CSS organizations including CSS groups
          on college campuses that are accessible and ask the leaders
          there to send petiontion to U.S. Congressmen/women via
          mail, e-mail, or phone calls;

          Give these local leaders a summary of the bill, an
          expert analysis of the consequence of the bill on U.S.
          economy and society as well as on the CSS community, and
          urge these leaders to either incorporate the info or include
          similar info compiled by themselves into their petition;

     4.   Have these local CSS leaders authorize the IFCSS to
          represent them and/or their organizations in IFCSS' voice
          against the bill.

          Local leaders and organizations may not have the necessary
          resources to carry out a petition campaign of their own.
          Or they may have other reasons not to get directly involved
          in a national campaign.  But they may feel comfortable to
          be represented by some national organization like IFCSS or
          its agent in campaigns like the one proposed.

          In pursuing this representation process, please make sure
          that a written consent -- via U.S. post office preferably
          or at least via e-mail -- be obtained with proper
          authorization from proper leaders.  Also make sure that
          once authorization is obtained, call the leaders to confirm,
          and relay to them a summary of your actions taken on their
          behalf:  they have a right to know.

     5.   Frequent, cordial, and efficient (meaning short but
          sufficient) communication with local organizations is
          vital to the success of this national campaign against
          the Congressional anti-immigration move.

     To use a cliche, TOGETHER WE SHALL WIN (AND SPLIT WE SHALL LOSE).

                         *   *   *   *   *

5. From: [email-masked]

I have some suggestion about the fighting.

Because it's a very tough problem, I don't  think  IFCSS  itself  can  be
sucessful to lobby  the Congress.   We should contact all Chinese, Asians
and immirgrants worldwide, tell them what's going on in Congress. If they
also have their own organization like IFCSS,   we should   cooperate with
these groups. If it's necessary,  these groups can form anti  " H.R.1915"
association. We can also contact American human  rights   groups  and ask
them to stand up. The most important thing: Have a foundation   to  raise
money, go to public TV, tell every American people that what the Congress
is doing will finally hurt American Economy and American people.

                          *   *   *   *   *

6. From: Voleti ([email-masked])

Hello  IFCSS Headquarters: (sorry I don't know  your name),

I  saw  your  address  on  soc.culture.china. This  is  a very  bad  bill
for  international students  and  scholars. I am  an  Indian student  and
I  think  that if  all the  international student  groups  act  together,
it  will be  easier and more effective  to  block this  bill. Please  see
if the IFCSS is interested  in  working  with Indian  and other  interna-
tional student and Research  groups. Please let  me  know.

One  important  point: Under  this  new  Republican rule, the   sentiment
against  Foreigners  is quite  high, especially  illegal immigration...so
we  must  fight to  see  what  can be  stopped....

                           *   *   *   *   *

7. From: [email-masked]

Hello, HQ Staff:

I have seen the messages from HQ for the action toward H.R. 1915. This is
a prompt reaction and it will do good to many Chinese students,   thus  I
think  there will be a lot of people to support. I am one of them, and  I
would like to  be the local coordinator. If there is any other thing that
I can be helpful, please let me know.   I also try to call you,   but  it
seems that there is something wrong with the HQ's telephone, I even can't
leave a message. If you got a chance, could you call me at: XXXX.

8. From: [email-masked]

Dear Headquarters Staff, Here is the action of OSU CSSA.    J.T.

[Forwarded Message]

From: visa-request, Oregon State University
Subject: Attention: Call for Signature against HR 1915 and S269
Date: Fri, Aug 4, 1995 1:38PM

As one part of CSSA, OSU campaign to against HR 1915, we call  for  your
signatures on our letters to 35 members of House  Judiciary   Committee.
Tomorrow (Saturday) during 11:00 - 11:30 am and  4:00 - 4:30 pm, at main
lobby of Kerr Library, we will wait for you to sign those letters. After
that we will fax the signed letters to 35 members. Please remember, they
will vote on HR1915 on Monday (Aug 9).  All of us are encouraged to sign
the letters. Also we encourage you to make phone calls to tell them your
opinion to any one of those 35 members now!

At least you could call Mark Hatfield at 202-225-3753 and Bob   Packwood
at 202-225-5244, Those two gentlemen are from Oregon. Thank you for your
effort for our smoother future life. See you tomorrow.

(IFCSS HQ's Note: H.R.1915 won't  be  debated   and   voted  until  mid-
September as we were informed. On Monday (August 7th), Senate will  vote
on Dole Substitute Bill, see HQ News Release #7012)

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************