Subject: HQ NR #7015: Update News On Congress Bill

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 95 22:46:16 GMT

&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSREL
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^

           *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7015   *  *  *
                    _________   August 9, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[         ______
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    _________
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington, DC 20005
            Tel: (202) 347-0017              Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

1. Simpson's bill, S269, was marked up in Senate subcommittee, and goes to
the Full Committee. It won't be debated until early September.  Meanwhile,
Simpson keeps asserting that his new bill, on legal immigration   restric-
tion will be introduced, and merge with S269 after Labor Day, which is the
trend closely watched by several lobby coalitions in D.C.  At the Monday's
coalition conference on family and employment-related immigrations,    all
groups including IFCSS, pledged gearing up and making continuous   efforts
to stop Simpson's attempt.

                          *   *   *   *   *

2. In Senate the debates on "Dole Substitute",   cutting   the welfare and
benefits of legal immigrants, continues on the floor until the end of this
week. Several amendments   have been introduced, and some of them are even
harsher to immigrants, but   some are plausible. Among them, Senator James
Exon of Nebraska 's amendment is much worse than   Dole   Bill,   however,
Senator Dianne Feinstein of California surprisedly introduced  her  amend-
ment which proposes more protection of   and   increases benefits to legal
immigrants.

                          *   *   *   *   *

3. In addition to the previous agenda,   IFCSS Task Force  suggests   some
measures, which should be understaken through the end of this week,   they
are:

   1). Make more phone calls, to Senators in Capitol Hill immediately,  in
order to influence the ongoing debates and process of amendments.  Obviou-
sly, some amendments will be accepted which depends on   how   the consti-
tuents respond and how strong the pressures from lobby groups are;

   2). Make clear that you support Dianne Feinstein's amendment, but   are
strongly opposed to Exon's amendment and Dole Substitute.  CSS in Califor-
nia and NE could try to  make more  phone  calls. Feinstein   needs   more
supports  - and as we spoke before -  every call counts!

                          *   *   *   *   *

4. Hundreds of people attended the Time Square Rally in New York on Friday,
which was organized by the Asian American Legal Defense &  Education Found,
the Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance (APALA), etc.

IFCSS Council member Sun Ying introduced IFCSS'  agenda  to  and exchanged
campaign materials, including lobby sample letters, with  Chung-Wha  Hong,
one of rally organziers, and also, the Immigration Rights Project  Coordi-
nator from The National Korean American Service & Education Consortium) at
the rally. Sun Ying also requested her and her organization to join in the
"National Lobby Day" in early September held in Washington, D.C. sponsored
by several campaign coalitions in D.C. area.

                          *   *   *   *   *

5. Supplyment: Several Senator's phone numbers:
The first 6 digits are: (202) 224-, the last four digits are:

California:               Dianne Feinstein 3841; Barbara Boxer 3553
Kansas:                   Robert Dole 6521;      Nancy Kassebaum 4774
Nebraska:                 James Exon 4224;       Robert Kerrey 6551
Wyoming:                  Alan Simpson 3424;     Criag Thomas 6441

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************