Subject: HQ NR #7024: Working Committee Proposals [VI]

From: [email-masked] (ifcss)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 95 04:17:22 GMT

Please Help Forward This Post To Local Nets - Thank You
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSRELEASE * HEADQUARTERS NEWSREL
&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^

           *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7024   *  *  *
                    _________   August 23, 1995  __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[         ______
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    _________
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington, DC 20005
            Tel: (202) 347-0017              Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=
Memo: Working Committee Proposals [VI]
From: IFCSS HQ
To  : IFCSS Council

   Proposal for the Publication of the IFCSS Newsletter for the 
                    Fiscal  Year of 1995-1996

Proposed by: Kening Li, Ph.D., 
University of Wisconsin at Madison
Date: Aug. 22, 1995

The Newsletter:

    The IFCSS Newsletter has been in publication since the  estab- 
lishment of our organization.  The Newsletter has served as one of 
the main means    of communication between the Headquarters of the 
IFCSS and its constituents, has provided a discussion platform for 
important issues among the community. The Newsletter has played an 
important role in promoting human rights and   democracy in China, 
and  it also has the potential of promoting Chinese culture in the 
U.S., and enriching the lives of the thousands of Chinese students 
and scholars in the U.S.

Publication Format and Editorial Policies:

    We propose to publish 12 issues in the fiscal year   of 95-96.  
Each issue will have about 20 pages.  This is a major  improvement 
over the previous years of the  Newsletter's   publication.    The 
contents of the will include, but not be limited to,   News review 
of   the month, including activities of the CSS in the U.S. at the 
local  and national levels; Human Rights   Report  of  the   Month 
(mainly from   Human Rights in China); Important messages from the 
HQ; Responses from the Readers; A forum on various topics; Life as 
an overseas CSS; and a column for consultation purposes to address 
many real life questions from our fellow CSS.

    We will maintain an open, flexible editorial policy.   We will 
adhere to the principles of freedom of speech and freedom of press.  
The Newsletter will be open to all CSS in the U.S., and the  arti-
cles published will not necessarily represent the opinions of  the 
IFCSS or the editorial staff of the Newsletter. 

    The Newsletter will be distributed free of charge  nationwide.  
If  possible, we will try to exchange the   Newsletter  with   our 
fellow CSS in other countries and back in China.

Personnel:

    I believe a professional editorial staff is in the   long term 
interest of the Newsletter.  I propose that the HQ name  Mr. Zhong, 
Mengbei, a Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Communications  at 
the   University of Wisconsins-Madison as the Executive Editor  of 
the   Newsletter.  We will form a editorial committee,  which will 
mainly  consist of the editorial staff of Wei Da Tong   Xun   (the 
Chinese Newsletter of Univ. Wisconsin), and others who are willing 
to contribute. 

Proposed Budget:

    1).  Printing for 12 issues: $8,500.00
    2).  Distributing: $3,500.00
    3).  Telephone and Fax $2,400.00
    4).  Office supplies (including computer softwares) $1,000.00
    5).  Misc. $300.00
    6).  Typing and Type Setting and other labor cost for 12 issues: 
            $7,600.00    
    7).  Art Work $1,200.00
    
    Total:  $24,500.00
    
The Future:

    We intend to professionally publish The IFCSS Newsletter  in the 
future.  Our goal is to  make it more broadly read and more relevant 
to the daily lives of the general Chinese Public.  We hope  starting 
from this year, there will be a professional  or   semi-professional 
editorial staff to manage and publish the Newsletter,    so that  in 
subsequent years the new administration of the IFCSS HQ   will   not 
need   to retain a brand new editorial staff for the Newsletter.  If 
possible, we would like to see the Newsletter be transformed  into a 
more comprehensive, professional and   regularly published magazine.  
There is no doubt that the Chinese community in the U.S. needs  such 
a magazine, and    it would be a  great service by the IFCSS if  the 
Newsletter can fill in the void.

For Contact: Dr.    Kening Li
Department of Plant Pathology
University of Wisconsin
Madison, WI 53706
(608)265-2060 (o)
(608)238-4387 (h)

[Headquarters' Note: If any of CSS and   CSS  organizations  want to
regularly receive IFCSS Newsletters, please contact [email-masked]
or [email-masked] for subscription.   IFCSS  particularly welcomes the
collective subscription from CSSA organizations.    IFCSS Newsletter
program is funded by the   National Endorsement for  Democracy (NED]

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************