Subject: HQ NR #7051: Emergent Call - Simpson Bill Introduced Friday with Unprecedented Slash on Employment-Based Immigration

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 21:08:49 -0500

*  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7051   *  *  *
             _________   November 7, 1995   __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ______
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington,
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

           Emergent Call - Simpson Bill Introduced Friday
      with Unprecedented Slash on Employment-Based Immigration

As expected long before, Simpson introduced his bill,  designated  as
S 1394, last Friday, and vowed to get its mark-up complete within one
week. IFCSS Headquarters Staff was  informed at the Coalition Confer-
ences this morning, that Simpson believed it could pass in  Subcommi-
ttee by November 13th, and then would stride to the Judiciary Commit-
tee merging with his famous S 269  with  substantial cuts on welfare.

Some of main points in this Senate Bill S 1394 include:

1). Worldwide employment-based preference is reduced to  90,000  from 
    current 140,000;

2). Labor Certificate (L.C.) becomes very difficult to obtain because
    employer must pay 25% fee (value of the annual compensation inclu-
    ding wages, benefits, and all other compensation) for each appli-
    cation;

3). Maximal stay for Non-immigrant H-1B and L visas is reduced  to  3
    years (current 6 yrs for H-1B and 5/7 for L);

4). New fee is imposed on employers who want to employ H-1B applicant
    which makes employer very difficult to hire aliens. The fee would
    be 5% first year, 7.5% second year, and 10% last year of stay   (
    fee = annual compensation including wages, benefits and all other
    compensation);

5). Additional attestations are required before approval of H-1B:
    a. must pay H-1B worker at least 100% of the  actual compensation
    paid by the employer or 105% of the prevailing wage level;
    b. no displacement of U.S. workers    (must pay H-1B  replacement
    workers 105% of the mean of the compensation paid the laid-off US
    worker;

6). H-1B worker must have 2 years experience outside the U.S.in their 
    specialty occupation after obtaining the most  recently  received 
    degree (it means everyone  must leave the U.S. for 2 years before 
    coming back for applying H-1B) 

7). Bill will take effect on October 1, 1996... ...

Simpson Bill S 1394 has stimulated the vigorous responses in business
communities immediately. IFCSS Headquarters issued a note, this after-
noon, to Simpson's office, to strongly protest  the  introduction  of 
this bill, and will contact the Senate  leadership in  this Committee 
very soon.

S 1394 has gone much farther than H.R.2202 regarding employment-based
immigration. If some Chinese students would say, we were luckier that
H.R.2202 wouldn't impair our interests too much, we have  no  way  to
hind while facing this S 1349. It is obvious that almost all  Chinese  
students and scholars who are currently at graduate schools and inst-
itutions will be affected negatively. 

IFCSS Headquarters now calls attention from all Chinese students  and 
schoalrs nationwide, to respond to this aggressive  bill  immediately  
without any delay - send your fax messages to the members of Immigra-
tion Sub-Committee, or call their offices directly, simply saying:

          We strongly opposed Simpson's Bill S 1394;
          Anti-immigrantion bills must be stopped!

Senate Immigration Subcommittee Members:

                               Phone           Fax
Alan Simpson, Chair  R-WY   202 224-3424    224-1315
Charles Grassley, R-IA      202 224-3744    224-6020
Jon Kyl, R-AZ               202 224-4521    224-2207    
Arlen Specter, R-PA         202 224-4254    224-1893   
Edward Kennedy,  D-MA       202 224-4543    224-2417
Paul Simon,  D-IL           202 224-2152    224-0868
Dianne Fenstein, D-CA       202 224-3841    228-3954

We suggest all CSS send the messages or make  calls  to  all  members
given totally they are  only seven. Although IFCSS headquarters could
reach as many as 80 local CSSA officials, and networks,  we encourage
more CSSA officials contact the HQ for more detailed information  and
distributing this mail among  local CSS fellows.   Thanks   for  your
attention.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Cut the follwoing note, fill it out and send it to offices listed 
above by fax:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

November        , 1995

Senator__________________________
The U.S. Congress, Capitol Hill
Washington D.C.

Honorable Senator ___________________________:

I strongly oppose Simpson's bill S 1394, and  firmly  believe it is
an anti-immigration bill, which is substantially against immigrants, 
against business,  and against the national interests of the United 
States. 

I hereby appeal to you :   please vote NO on  S1394 ! 

Sincerely,

______________________
Resident of      

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************