Subject: HQ NR #7054: Update Information on Simpson's Bill

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 15:39:44 -0500

Please forward it to your local Community - Thank you

         *  *  *    N E W S   R E L E A S E   7054   *  *  *
             _________   November 15, 1995   __________

   [[[[[[  [[[[[[[[[[    [[[[[[       [[[[[[[      [[[[[[[
    [[[     [[[        [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[   [[[    [[[    ______
    [[[     [[[       [[[          [[[          [[[
   [[[     [[[[[[[[  [[[            [[[[[        [[[[[
   [[[     [[[       [[[               [[[[[        [[[[[    ______
  [[[     [[[        [[[                  [[[          [[[  ____
  [[[     [[[         [[[    [[[  [[[[   [[[   [[[[   [[[
[[[[[[  [[[[[[         [[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[     [[[[[[[[

&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^&^
IFCSS Foundation, Inc. 733 15th Street, NW  Suite 440 Washington,
     D.C. 20005   Tel: (202) 347-0017      Fax: (202) 347-0018
&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=&=

              Update Information on Simpson's Bill

 1. More than twenty local CSSAs or coordinators nationawide start to
mobilize their local communities to respond to the bill S 1394, as we
are informed. The proposed strategies, listed in HQ NR #7052, are, to 
forward the relevant messages and sample letters to Chinese community 
or other ethnic groups, to reach your President and deans of  univer-
sities, and   CEOs of your employers  if you are in business society.

                       *   *   *   *   *

2. IFCSS HQ has got very positive response from NASFA officials,  and
NAFSA has initiated a campaign nationwide to appeal  to  all  foreign
students and educators for immediate actions.

                       *   *   *   *   *

3. Simpson Bill S 1394, originally scheduled for mark-up on   15 - 16 
of November, has now been postponed until Nobvember 29th for a varie-
ty of reasons, which will grant more opportunities for  the public to
respond.

                       *   *   *   *   *

4. Senators will have a Thanksgivings Recess, and   will  be at their
home districts from    November   17th through the 27th of  November.
Please schedule fax or letter drives directed to their district offi-
ces, or visits with the Senators during the recess to weigh in on the
Simpson Bill.

                       *   *   *   *   *

5. Among seven members of the subcommittee, three are the   Democrats 
which many lobbyists bear hope for.   They  are  Edward Kennedy (MA),
Paul Simon (ILL) and Dianne Feinstein (CA). We must make every effor-
ts to show them that anti-business and anti-immigration bill  S  1394
is against the will of the business society,   the  interests of  the
United States, and undermine the competitive strength  in  the  world
both in a short and long run. Senator Arlen Specter (PA)  is  one  of
Republic Presidential Candidate for 1996, who has been undertaking  a  
vigorous  campaign. He is supposed to listen to constituents'   voice 
more  patiently. 

                       *   *   *   *   *

6. IFCSS has still in the process of preparing public  advertisements
in major news medis which depends on the support of   CSS  community.
As suggested by many members in the past 48 hrs,   we  will put "Wall
Street Journal" as the top priority. Please rush the donations to the
IFCSS Headquarters: 733 15th St. N.W. Suite 440, Washington D.C.20005.

                         *   *   *   *   *

7. Several pieces of messages are followed for your reference:

A Letter to the President of University of Michigan prepared by "Stop
S 1394 Working Committee). We suggest all CSSA or other CSS organiza-
tions on campuses do the same thing as soon as possible:

Dear President Duderstadt:

We are writing to bring to your attention the anti-immigration bill 
that will be put on vote on November 16th in the U.S. Senate Immgration 
Subcommittee, the passage of which will substantially jeopardize
the interests of our university.

Recently, US Senator Allen Simpson has introduced a bill in the senate 
which will restrict the ability of US colleges and universities to 
attract and retain foreign students and scholars. Currently, there 
are 4,100 foreign students from over 100 nations enrolled at all levels of 
learning at the University of Michigan; and a substantial number of 
post-degree foreign professionals work for the university as professors, 
research scientists, lecturers, research associates, technicians, and 
postdocs. If the aforesaid bill passes, its implementation will only 
adversely affect institutions such as ours because a major source of 
talented and qualified undergraduate, professional, graduate students and 
postdocs will be effectively eliminated. The closure of employment 
opportunities for foreign-born professionals will inevitably lead to an 
outflow of a great number of bright and hard-working foreign students and 
post-docs from our universities and will eventually devastate our 
university's ability to attract the best pools of young students and 
scholars from abroad.

The National Association of Foreign Student Advisors has put out an 
urgent call opposing this bill. Deans and presidents of colleges and 
universities throughout the nation are writing letters and making phone 
calls to their senators urging them to vote NO on this impending bill 
scheduled for floor votes on Nov.16. The magnitude of this vehement  
campaign mirrors what happened earlier this summer on the  
funding crisis for scientific research. This fight is more serious 
because it threatens the supply and quality of a work force and student 
community; a struggle you endorsed through the Michigan Mandate; a 
struggle in which we are only beginning to realize success.

As a leader in one of the key public institutions for learning, your 
opinion and persuasions on this issue will play a significant role when
the Senators are trying to make informed decisions on this bill.

We hereby urge you to join us in our fight against this bill and 
issue an official letter to oppose this immigration bill, S 1394!

Sincerely,

STOP S1394 WORKING COMMITTEE
AT THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
                       ____  ____  ____

Two automatic mailing accounts have been established for sending mails
directly to all seven Senators by friends in UCLA and U. Mich.

    [email-masked]
    [email-masked]            

                        ____  ____  ____

                               Phone           Fax
     Alan Simpson, Chair  R-WY   202 224-3424    224-1315
     Charles Grassley, R-IA      202 224-3744    224-6020
     Jon Kyl, R-AZ               202 224-4521    224-2207
     Arlen Specter, R-PA         202 224-4254    228-1229
     Edward Kennedy,  D-MA       202 224-4543    224-2417
     Paul Simon,  D-IL           202 224-2152    224-0868
     Dannie Fenstein  D-CA       202 224 3841    228 3954

*********************************************************************
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from the list, please send email to [email-masked]  *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************