Subject: Forwarded: Proposal from IFCSS/Exchange Committee

From: [email-masked]
Date: 01 Oct 1993 13:30:56 -0500 (CDT)

>From [email-masked]  Fri Oct  1 01:49:16 1993
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 23:47:37 PDT
From: [email-masked] (Shusheng Luan)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Proposals from IFCSS/Exchange Committee

                        A PROPOSAL FOR TEN PROJECTS
                                   FROM

                 THE COMMITTEE FOR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
                       EDUCATION AND CULTURE EXCHANGES
                                WITH CHINA

 THE INDEPENDENT FEDERATION OF CHINESE STUDENTS AND SCHOLARS IN THE US
                           (SEPTEMBER 29, 1993)

1. Introduction

	The Committee for Science and Technology, Education and	Culture
	Exchanges with China was founded in the summer of 1992 according
	to a resolution passed in the fourth congress of the Independent
	Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS) in the United
	States held in June 1992.  The Committee is aimed at promoting
	advancement of science and technology, education, and culture in
	China. The Committee hopes to help bridge between the resourceful
	Chinese students and scholars (CSS) and the needy countrymen and
	institutions inside China.  By establishing effective channels of
	communication and understanding, the overseas CSS can not only
	establish goodwills with their fellow countrymen but also speed up
	the modernization and democratization of China.

	Since the summer of 1992, the Committee has succeeded in carrying
	out two major projects under the difficult domestic environment.
	The team for the Best Student Awards project at University of
	Wisconsin at Madison collected ninety-eight applications from
	twenty-four colleges in China, and awarded twelve of the
	applicants in nine schools.  Another dozen of Committee members
	approved one student group's proposal for several projects and
	recommended revisions to another group's application for the
	Student Activity Fund project.  These two projects have been
	designed as long-term IFCSS projects.  In addition, the Committee
	also helped the IFCSS HQ channel supports to the Chinese Academic
	Link, Inc. and the SOS China Education Fund.

	The Committee also emphasizes on direct grass-root involvement
	and active collaboration with other oversea CSS organizations in
	IFCSS' projects.  More than forty individual CSS and their local
	organizations in the US have been attracted to the Committee.
	Still more are coming to the Committee as of to date.  The
	collaboration with other oversea CSS organizations can make good
	use of established network of resources and avoid duplicated
	efforts in manpower and funds.  Such vertical and horizontal
	connections of IFCSS with CSS and their groups are vital for
	promoting the publicity, participation, reputation, and ultimately
	the foundation of IFCSS.

	It is exciting that the IFCSS and her leadership have elevated to
	her highest priority in the coming year the exchanges of science
	and technology,	education and culture between China and oversea
	communities.  This is a wonderful opportunity for the Committee
	to extend and expand its work on the heels of last year's success.
	Therefore, the Committee proposes that the two current projects be
	continued, five new projects be created, and three collaborative
	projects be initiated.

	These proposed programs also feature volunteerism, cooperation and
	mobilization of grass-roots in both US and China.  The Committee
	expects to have many itemized costs, as well as human resources,
	under control.  Details of these propsed projects with itemized
	budgets are listed below.

2. Project Proposals  (Ten)                                       $29,260

	1) Best Student Award        [continued]		$4,000

		This project offers scholarships to college students
		in China who maintain excellent academic records, hold
		strong social responsibilities, and enjoy high respect
		among professors and fellow students.

		Announcement will be mailed out by December 93.
		Applcation forms will be accepted before April 94.
		Selections will be finalized in May 94.
		Awards will be mailed out in May 94.

		First awards:                    $200 x  5 = $1,000
		Second awards:                   $100 x 20 = $2,000
		Evaluation meeting:              $100 x  5 =   $500
		Communication cost(phone bills, stamps, ...):  $500
		___________________________________________________
		Subtotal:                                    $4,000

		About five Mid-West schools are in favor to
		participate in an evaluation meeting.
		Alternative is Oregon State University.

	2) Student Activity Fund        [continued]             $3,000

		This project funds proposals for projects on social
		activities or services submitted by college student
		groups in China and approved by an evaluation
		subcommittee.  Amount of funding awards will vary
		with individual proposals and availability of funds
		as well.  Announcement will be mailed immediately
		after this proposal of the Committee is funded,
		and operate continually all year-long.  Five to ten
		student groups are expected to be funded.

		Proposals from student groups:   $250 x 10 = $2,500             
		Communication cost(phone, stamps, ...):        $500
		___________________________________________________
		Subtotal:                                    $3,000

		The project will be coordinated by Mr. Wang Ji at
		Princeton Univeristy.

	3) Primary Relief Fund        [new]                     $5,200

		This project helps students and teachers in primary
		education on need basis in five to ten selected poor
		areas in China.  Then the relief work to these areas
		will be assigned to five to ten college student
		associations in China, who can use up to ten percent
		of the allocated fund for expenses.  The project
		shall start immediately after it is funded and be
		completed by June 1994.

		Relieves:                        $500 x 10 = $5,000
		Communication cost(phone, stamps, ...):        $200
		___________________________________________________
		Subtotal:                                    $5,200

		The project will be coordinated by Mr. Zhou Dongsheng,
		President of CSSA at Oregon State University.

	4) School Pen-pals       [new]                            $600

		This project helps students and/or their primary
		or high schools to develop mutual understanding of
		each other's education systems and cultures in
		order to promote greater future openness of China
		and for the world peace.  The project will work
		together with both US and China college student
		associations to match pen-pals for studetns and
		establish sisterhood for schools in both countries.
		The project shall start immediately after it is
		funded.

		Office supplies (stationary, printing):        $300
		Communication cost(phone, stamps, ...):        $300
		___________________________________________________
		Subtotal:                                      $600

		The project will be coordinated by Mr. Zhou Dongsheng,
		President of CSSA at Oregon State University.

	5) New Student Orientation    [new]                       $800

		This project helps new-arriving students and scholars
		from China to the US.  Introductions and tips on
		travel arrangements (contact persons, airport
		reception, temporary accomodation and househunting)
		and orientations to campus written by local CSS
		organizations at US institutions will be compiled and
		mailed to student organizations in China.  Such
		information will assist new students and scholars
		to quickly adjust to new but otherwise perhaps
		difficult environments.

		Printing:                                      $500
		Communication cost(phone, stamps, ...):        $300
		___________________________________________________
		Subtotal:                                      $800

		The project will be coordinated by Mr. Xing Zheng,
		President of CSSA at Cornell University.
		Alternative is Texas A&M University.

	6) Chinese Videotape Library  [new]                       $500

		This project will collect new videotape releases of
		Chinese movies or documentaries from mainland,
		Taiwan, Hong Kong, and other Asian countries, and
		distribute them to IFCSS member schools at cost.
		The following amount is requested as operating fund.

		Operating fund:                                $500
		Purchases (Videotape + expenses): $50 x 20 = $1,000
		Revenue (Cost sharing + postage):-$5x20x10 =-$1,000
		___________________________________________________
		Subtotal:                                      $500

		The project will be coordinated by the CSSA at UC
		San Francisco.  Alternative are other schools in
		the bay or LA area.

	7) Home-visiting Seminars  [collaboration]              $3,650

		[See Attachment 1 for details.]  In anticipation of
		the large flux of home visits by CSS in US in the
		coming year, this project, in collaboration with
		America-China Exchange Promotion (ACEP), is to
		encourage CSS to interact with domestic individuals,
		institutions. The committee and ACEP will collect
		information on which professors/scientists or
		institutions are interested in sponsoring visiting
		CSS of some particular expertises to visit their
		faculty and research facilities and/or give seminars.
		ACEP and the Committee will match the interests
		between domestic institutions and home-visiting CSS.

		Airfare (One person to finalize the set-up
		         of the service centers in China):   $1,100
		Communication costs (phone, postage, ...):
		                                 $200 x 12 = $2,400
		Office supplies:                               $150
		___________________________________________________
		Subtotal:                                    $3,650

		ACEP will match the fund with the same amount as
		provided by STEC into the project, which is itemized
		in the same way as above.

	8) Conference/Symposia 1994 in China  [collaboration]
		                                                $7,930

		[See Attachment 2 for details.]  Such workshops/
		symposia, in collaboration with Chineses Academic
		Link, Inc. (CAL), are organized efforts to promote
		the science and technology, education and culture
		with China.  It was proposed that NSFC will provide
		financial support to the domestic cost of the
		workshops, and the Committee and CAL will help to
		recruit speakers for the workshops.

		CAL projects to contact CAS and NSFC in October
		1993, provided that IFCSS makes commitment on this
		program.  Then the promotion and recruit will take
		place once confirmation comes from CAS/NSFC's.
		This program should be operated on long terms,
		thus all financial support should be on	annual
		basis with annual revision. 

		Communications with China   $  50/mo. x  8 = $  400
		Labor and cost              $ 500/mo. x  4 = $2,000
 		Promotion in US             $  30/mo. x 12 = $  360
                25% of airfare for speakers $ 275/pr. x 14 = $3,850
                40% of airfare for IFCSS/CAL delegation
		                            $ 440/pr. x  3 = $1,320
		___________________________________________________
		Subtotal:                                    $7,930

	9) Doctoral Dissertation Abstracts Collection
		[collaboration]                                 $1,100

		[See Attachment 2 for details.] This project, in
		collaboration with CAL, is to make oversea CSS
		achievement known to our peers in the professional
		community in China.  This rich resource of compiled
		information will help China in her advancement of
		science and technology, education and culture.

                Orders for contributors and editors          $  700
		Compensation for communication               $  400
		___________________________________________________
		Subtotal:                                    $1,100

	10) Delegation to China            [new]                $1,980

		Such a delegation will finalize setting up of
		service certer(s) in China, raise publicity of
		exisitng ovesea exchange programs, and explore
		new areas of cooperation.  The delegation will
		make the trip between later winter or early
		summer 1994 or whenever projects have made
		satisfactory progress.   The delegation will
		consist of eight members: one appointed by the
		IFCSS President, one Council member appointed by
		the Council, two members of Exchange Committee
		appointed by the Committee Chair,  two appointed
		by CAL, one appointed by ACEP, one appointed by
		SOS China Education Fund.

		There are already budgets of ($1,100+$1,320)
		proposed for trips to China.  Additional funding
		is requested as following.

		50% Airfare (8 CSS):      $1,100 x 0.5 x 8 = $4,400
		Amount allocated above:  - ($1,100+$1,320) =-$2,420
		___________________________________________________
		Subtotal:                                    $1,980

	*) Committee Equipment Cost                               $500

		The fascimile machine will be used to improve
		communication for the Committee's coordination
		work.
		
		Facsimile machine (Committee communication):   $500

______________________________________________________________________
	GRAND TOTAL:              10 projects        for       $29,260


----------------------------Attachment 2.---------------------------------

                     TWO ACADEMIC EXCHANGE PROJECTS
 -- A Proposal for Collaboration between IFCSS Exchange Committee and AEIC

***************************************************************************
        * OUTLINE *

        IFCSS and CAL will collaborate on two academic exchange projects: 
Chinese Doctoral Dissertation Abstracts Collection and Conference/Symposia 
1994 in China.  CAL will be primarily responsible for organizing human 
resources and contacting Chinese academia, while IFCSS will provide
necessary financial support as well as part of human resource.  A total
budget of $13,950 is proposed. 

***************************************************************************

 I. The Collaboration

        To further promote and expand the academic exchange between
overseas Chinese scholars, professionals and students (hereafter referred
to as CSS) and Chinese academia including institutions and professional
societies, it is necessary to combine the strength and resources of CSS
community organizations that are devoted or interested to do so.  Among
national CSS organizations in the United States which has accommodated
over 80,000 CSS, the Independent Federation of Chinese Students and
Scholars, USA (IFCSS) and Chinese Academic Link, Inc. (CAL) have been very
active and influential.  Both share deep common roots and have the history
of institutional cooperation and personnel relationship.

        As the President of CAL, I hereby propose to institutionalize the
cooperation between IFCSS Exchange Committee (hereafter referred as the 
Committee) and the Academic Exchange Information Center of CAL (hereafter 
referred as AEIC), in order to accomplish or develop three projects
presented in the following sections.  AEIC will be primarily responsible
for: 1) allocating and organizing personnel conducting these projects; and
2) develop and maintain the contact and communication with Chinese
institutes which host or collaborate on these events or projects.  The
Committee, on the other hand, will seek financial support from IFCSS and
provide partial personnel.  The budget of three projects is listed
separately in the following sections. 

        To guarantee such collaboration, it is necessary to join the force
of the Committee and AEIC on the personnel level.  The Committee and AEIC
can, and should, have substantially overlapping personnel, upon the free
will of individual volunteers involved.  The progress and management of
projects will be cross-reported to both IFCSS and CAL. 

 I.   Conference/Symposia 1994 in China 
  ---- Second year of collaboration with NSFC

        During its visit in China in July, 1992, the first CAL delegation  
discussed the co-sponsorship to 1993 summer workshops/symposia by overseas
Chinese scholars and professionals with chief executives of Chinese Academy
of Science (CAS) and National Natural Science Foundation Committee of China
(NSFC) Bureau of International Cooperation.  Such workshops/symposia are
aimed to promote the association and interaction between overseas Chinese
professionals and scholars and their colleagues in China.  It was proposed
that NSFC will provide financial support to the domestic cost of the
workshops and CAL will help to recruit speakers of the workshops/seminars. 

        Since then CAL has promoted and collected 1993 summer workshop 
proposals among overseas Chinese scholars and professionals. In Nov. 1992,
the second CAL delegation presented 27 workshop proposals to NSFC and CAS.
By April 1993 CAL had sponsored seven workshop/seminars that were approved
and granted by NSFC (some were proposed by CAL members).  

        Such a great channel and formation of academic exchange should and 
would be continued, as a long-standing program.  To achieve such a goal,
we have to solve the following issue:

1. Strengthening the relationship with NSFC and CAS through further
personnel contact.  A binding agreement to substantiate the mutual
responsibility is plausible.  Thus, another visit to NSFC and CAS is
necessary.

2. Institutionalizing the program.  Although CAL had a task force to 
coordinate the 1993 summer workshop project, a long term ad hoc group has
to be established to 1) promote, recruit and preliminarily evaluate the 
workshop/seminar proposal from Chinese scholars and professionals
communities; and 2) keep communicating with NSFC, CAS and other Chinese
institutions that host the workshop/seminars.  Some operational cost is
needed to maintain such a group.

3. Supporting, at least partially, the international airfare for the
speakers of the workshops/seminars.  This serves both as rewards to the
excellence and as relief to the need.

        AEIC projects to contact CAS and NSFC in Sept. - Oct., 1993,
provided that the Committee makes commitment on this program.  Then the
promotion and recruit will take place once we have CAS/NSFC's
confirmation.  This program should be operated on a long-standing base,
thus all financial support should be on annual base, too, with annual
revision. 

 Telecommunication to CAS/NSFC              $   50/mo. x  8 = $  400
 Grant application, to compensate the       $  500/mo. x  4 = $2,000   
      labor and cost   
 Telecommunication to promote the program   $   30/mo. x 12 = $  360
      in US and to maintain the work force
 25% of airfare for seminar speakers        $  275/pr. x 14 = $3,850
 40% of airfare for IFCSS/CAL delegation    $  440/pr. x  3 = $1,320
      to CAS/NSFC
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
      Total annual budget                                     $7,930

 II.  Chinese Doctoral Dissertation Abstracts Collection (CDDAC)
   ----The first of a Series of Collections for Recent Overseas 
       Chinese Advanced Degree Holders and Active Scientists

        One of the most important aspects of scientific and technological
endeavors is the communication between researchers.  It is important to
make professional achievement and it is even more important to make your
work known to your peers in the professional community.  Many Chinese
students abroad have made significant contributions in their fields of
expertise and obtained advanced degrees.  The dissertations pertaining to
their degrees are the accumulation of their studies and a rich source of
information about original researches.

        In order to encourage the communication among researchers in
various disciplines and to promote the visibility of Chinese students in
China and abroad, AEIC initiated the project of compiling Chinese Doctoral
Dissertation Abstracts Collection (CDDAC) as the beginning of her series
effort to collect  and compile overseas Chinese students' and
professionals' academic accomplishments.  CDDAC will include the abstract
of a doctoral dissertation and a brief description of the research
activities of the degree holder.  Such a collection will be first compiled
in English and distributed among overseas Chinese research communities and
the research communities in China (include mainland, Taiwan and Hong Kong),
depending on financial capability.  We are currently exploring the
possibility of cooperation with Chinese Academy of Sciences and other
institutions to have it published and distributed in China. 

        With the initiation and organization of Drs. David L. Yuan
(University of California, Irvine) and Yegang Wu (Oak Ridge National
Laboratory), the CDDAC editorial board of CAL has called upon all overseas
Chinese degree holders, who have obtained their doctoral degrees in the
last several years in an accredited institution outside China, to submit
their abstracts of dissertation, list of recent publication and other
academic information to the CDDAC editorial board.  Thus far over 150 CSS
have submitted their dissertation abstracts along with other requested
information.

        During the visit of the second CAL delegation to China in Nov.,
1992, three Chinese academic agencies were contacted with their senior
officials and showed willingness to publish CCDAC --- The Chinese Academy
of Science (CAS), China Science and Technology Press (STP) in Beijing and
Shanghai Association for International Exchange of Personnel (SAIEP).
Among the three agencies, STP was the most serious and prepared. Details of
type-setting, printing and circulation were discussed in Beijing and
Shanghai. 

        AEIC projects that CDDAC will submit its first volume to China for 
publication by late 1993 - early 1994 and the book will be published in
1994.  Copies will be ordered to ship to US. CDDAC needs funding to cover
the expenditures of orders for abstract contributors editors and
communication. 

 Orders for contributors and editors                     $  700
 Compensation for communication                          $  400
_______________________________________________________________
 Total budget proposed for CDDAC                         $1,100
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

^L

----------------------------Attachment 1.-------------------------------

                      Proposal for Collaboration 
                                 of
                 America-China Exchange Promotion (ACEP)
                                 and
        The Working Committee for Science, Technology, Education 
                    and Culture Exchange (STEC), IFCSS

                          (September 27, 1993)

Project
=======

	ACEP is in the process of establishing The Network for Assisting
Home-visiting Seminars (NAHS), a project to help both the Chinese
students and scholars (CSS) in US and the universities, research
institutes or other institutions in China to schedule seminars during
the home-visit trips of CSS.

	The total number of CSS in US is estimated as over 100,000.
Many of them are working in environments where the frontiers of research
are pursued.  Past experience has shown that the seminars offered by
these CSS when they visit their homes in China have been very effective
in bringing the colleagues in China up to date about the academic and
industrial research and development in the world.

	In anticipation of the large flux of home visits by CSS in US in 
the coming year, ACEP is in contact with various government departments,
institutions, and companies for setting up service centers in Beijing
and Shanghai.  Each of these centers will be in regular contact with 
universities, research institutes, government agencies, industrial
groups, and other entities in the city, compile the list of research 
fields and aspects of development that they are interested in inviting 
the home-visiting CSS to give seminars.  The network of ACEP in US will 
collect the reciprocal information about the list of CSS who will visit 
a particular city during a given (approximate) time period, and the
fields in which each of them is willing to offer seminars.  When a
fitting match is identified, ACEP will bridge the two parties together,
and suggest possilbe formats for collaboration which will benefit both.

Collaboration
=============

	ACEP is hereby proposing a collaboration with STEC on the NAHS
project.  Upon the signing of the contract which defines the
collaboration, following terms will be agreed by both ACEP and STEC
IFCSS:

(1) ACEP will provide the manpower to continue the project NAHS in
    Beijing and Shanghai;

(2) ACEP will expand the project to one or two more city such as Wuhan,
    Najing and Hangzhou;

(3) STEC will provide $3,650 budget of financial support to ACEP in the 
    first year collaborative operation, which is itemized as follows:

	. $1,100 --- one person round trip US-China to finalize
                     the set-up of the service centers in China;
        . $2,400 --- $200 X 12 months overseas communication costs
                     (telephone, FAX, postage, etc..)
        .   $150 --- office supplies
(4) ACEP will put the matching fund of the same amount as provided by
    STEC into the project, which is itemized in the same way as enlisted
    above.

(5) STEC/IFCSS will be accredited as the cosponsor of the project;

(6) The compiled information of the NAHS project will be made available
    to STEC;

(7) The extension of the collaboration between ACEP and STEC/IFCSS will
    be renegociated by the two parties upon the completion of the first
    year's operation of the project.

About ACEP
==========

	ACEP is a not-for-profit organization registered in the State of
New York, incorporated in 1992.   It now consists of over 100 Chinese 
professionals in varies field.  The members of ACEP are working in 
universities, national laboratories, government agencies and companies 
in many states such as New York, , Pennsylvania, Illinois,
Massachusetts, D. C., and California.

	The President of ACEP is Dr. Cheng Ming, the Deputy President is 
Dr. Luo Ning, both are long time IFCSS activists. The officer list of
AECP will be provided upon request.