Subject: FWD: Work Report from IFCSS/Exchange Committee

From: [email-masked]
Date: 01 Oct 1993 13:30:14 -0500 (CDT)

>From [email-masked]  Fri Oct  1 01:47:50 1993
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 23:46:06 PDT
From: [email-masked] (Shusheng Luan)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Work Report from IFCSS/Exchange Committee

                               A WORK REPORT
                                    OF

                 THE COMMITTEE FOR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
                       EDUCATION AND CULTURE EXCHANGES
                                WITH CHINA

 THE INDEPENDENT FEDERATION OF CHINESE STUDENTS AND SCHOLARS IN THE US
                           (SEPTEMBER 29, 1993)

1. Background

Since the founding of the Independent Federation of Chinese Students and
Scholars in the US (IFCSS) immediately after the Beijing Massacre in
1989, promotion of science and technology, education and culture
advancement in China has been specified as one of the three major
objectives of IFCSS in her Charter.

During the second term (1990-91) of IFCSS, the Committee for Domestic
Affairs was established and chaired by Mr. Peng Yuenan.  The Committee
pioneered a few projects.  Among them, the Mid-Autumn Festival Letter
Campaign caused controversy and discussions within IFCSS, but received
many positive responses from inside China.  Several then IFCSS officers
(Mr. Luan Shusheng, Vice Chair of the Committee for Domestic Affairs,
Mr. Huang Guyang, Coordinator of IFCSS Supervisory Committee, and
Ms. Chen Ying, the IFCSS Newsletter Chief Editor) contacted student
groups and agencies of science and education in China to open channels
for communication and exchange with IFCSS during their trips to China.
They also delivered humanitarian aids to a number of families who were
victimized from the June 4th tragedy and made efforts to deliver flood
relief funds.

At the third congress (1991) of IFCSS, it was resolved that IFCSS
establish the Academic Information Exchange Center (AEIC).  It has been
a very unpleasant experience for many (including supporters and
opponents of AEIC) to see the unfortunate separation of AEIC (now
Chinese Academic Link, Inc [CAL]) from IFCSS in that year.  The
separation was regarded as a serious set-back in IFCSS' pursuits of
exchange work with China.  The IFCSS Round Table Meeting held in June
1992 discussed the AEIC issue as a main topic in its agenda, and
reached a consensus that IFCSS should put more efforts into exchanges
with China.

At the fourth congress of IFCSS, another resolution was passed that
IFCSS promote exchanges of science and technology, education and
culture with China.  The then IFCSS president Dr. Geng Xiao nominated
and the Council approved Mr. Luan Shusheng at Oregon Sate University to
chair the Committee for Science and Technology, Education and Culture
Exchanges in July, 1992.

2. Objectives

After consulting with more than a dozen of IFCSS activists, the
Committee decided to conduct three major tasks: (1) Best Student Awards
for college students in China; (2) Student Activity Funding for student
body activities in China; (3) Supports and cooperation with projects
conducted by other overseas CSS groups (AEIC and SOS China Education
Fund).

Through these projects, the Committee aimed at (1) developing IFCSS
exchange programs with long-term perspectives; (2) conveying the love
and care of CSS for the success of individual students in China, and
providing financial assistances for their organizations to maneuver more
freely; (3) attracting CSS in the US to participate in the Committee's
work and to understand IFCSS operations and support IFCSS activities.

3. Participation

The Committee called for participation in these projects from both
individuals and their groups in the public e-mail networks in October
1992.  The responses were very enthusiastic.

The Chinese Independent Union at University of Wisconsin at Madison
requested to take care of the Best Student Awards project.  There were
about 20 CSS joining the work.  They chose Dr. Mo Feng as the Director
of the Project, with very energetic and instrumental contributions from
Mr. Liu Zhendong, Hu Zhiliang, Huang Daode, Hua Zhongqiang, and many
others.

More than 20 individual CSS from about 20 institutions across the US
participated in the Student Activity Funding project.  Its major
contributors were Mr. Wang Ji at Princeton, Zhang Chengyong at UCLA,
Zhang Guangchao, Zeng Yimin, Zhong Yuan, Jiang Hao, and Luan Shusheng
at Oregon State University, and many others.

As the Committee Chair,  I thank all 40 Committee Members for their
volunteerism and spirit of team work.  They sacrificed their precious
spare times and other personal resources for IFCSS work.  IFCSS
should continue to promote and make good use of CSS' volunteer work
from grass roots in the extension of the great spirits of 89 Democracy
Movement.

4. Operation

After a four-week discussions among the Committee members, detailed
working plans took form.  During the Spring Festival of 1993, the
Committee sent out announcements and invitations to student
associations, school offices and newspapers in more than 200 colleges
in China.  Many oversea CSS also passed such announcements to their
friends or relatives in China.

The Committee adopted a conservative strategy and kept a low key in
its operations.  However, the activities of the Committee still drew
attentions from the authorities in China, and our returning addresses
were investigated by PRC Consulate in the US.  Evidence shows that
our correspondence letters were tampered and delayed on many occasions.
The small responses are expected as the results of interception by
Chinese agencies.

Another difficulty the Committee experienced was funding.  IFCSS
President Geng Xiao received a promise from a foundation in Taiwan
during his visit to the island in summer 92.  The fund was cancelled
by the foundation due to the delayed returns of applications from
China.  However, the IFCSS Council of 5th term passed a resolution
to fully fund the projects in August 1993. 

5. Results

Ninety-eight students from 24 colleges in China applied for the Best
Student Awards.  These applicants were mostly extraordinary students
in China.  A few schools or their departments even selected one or
two of their best before recommending them for the awards to the
Committee.  The Committee was able to award only 12 students from
9 schools, including 4 females, limited by funding.

Two student groups from two colleges applied for the Student Group
Activity Funding.  The Committee approved one group's application
and requested the other group revise its proposals.

The Committee also helped channel IFCSS financial contributions to
AEIC and SOS China Education Fund.

6. Significance

With the strong supports from both the IFCSS HQ and Council and the
first-year team efforts by the forty Committee members, the Committee
has initiated two very promising long-term projects in promoting
communication and exchanges with domestic students and their
organizations.

Through such projects, the goodwill and care can be conveyed from
oversea CSS to their counterparts in China.  Even limited financial
assistances can encourage individuals' successes and strengthen their
group vitalities in the society, which will contribute greatly to the
prosperity and democratization of China.  These projects are of great
potential for continued extension and expansion.

In addition, the grass-root involvements in the decision making of the
IFCSS projects, such as in this Committee, will re-enforce the
foundation of IFCSS.  With their care and supports, IFCSS can enjoy a
much needed healthy relationship with its grass-roots.

7. Notes

The present environment in China is not yet for open IFCSS activities.
The grip on political power by the CCP has been strong, and our fellow
countrymen are still under a lot of political pressure.  Open
involvement with IFCSS activities bears personal risks to our friends
in China.  We should be really considerate in order not to put our
friends or supporters into unnecessary difficulties or unwanted
troubles, which would jeopardize our projects as well as relationship.

At present, it is important but yet impractical in many cases for the
Committee to use the name of IFCSS freely in China and succeed in its
projects.  As long as we are faithfully carrying out the goals of the
IFCSS Charter, the name tag of "IFCSS" should not be considered as the
first priority tactically.

8. Acknowledgements

Many special thanks to those who were not members of the Committee but
firmly supported its projects at difficult times.  The individuals are,
to name a few, Huang Guyang, Hwang Kai, Lai Anzhi, Li Chenjian, Li
Xiaowen, Liu Yuhe, Lu Chengdong, Luo Ning, Wang Yanbin, Xing Zheng,
Zhou Dongsheng, and many current members of the IFCSS Council.  The
Chinese Student Solidarity Union at Purdue University and a Chinese
Student Club at Virginia Institute of Technology both supported the
Committee financially.