From: Songlin Ren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1993 15:15:38 GMT

===========================================================================

	The Bill of Recommendation of The Chairs of New Working Committees
	of the 5th IFCSS to the 2nd Council Teleconference

	By Personnel Committee of 5th IFCSS Council
	Nov. 19, 1993 
	(Final Version)

===========================================================================

	Dear Chair and Co-Chair:

	The 5th IFCSS President Lin Changsheng has nominated 
	
	Mr. Liu Chengyan as Chair of New Comers Working Committe, 
	Mr. Liu Zhendong as Chair of Consultation Services Committee,
	Mr. Hwang Kai as Chair of Sport and Creation Working Committee,
	Mr. Zhang Qingsong as Chief Editor of IFCSS News Letter (Renomination), 
	Mr. Liu Xiaozhu as assistant Treasurer (concurrently),
	Ms. Zhong Ling as Coordinator for Anti-Discrimination Working Committee. 

	The Personnel Committee has interviewed the nominees and prliminarily  
	approved. On behalf the Personnel Committee of The Council, I fell
	greatly honoured to introduce them to the Council Tel-meeting to
	approve. 
	
	Ren Songlin
	(Signed)
	Chair, Personnel Committee of the 5th IFCSS Council

===========================================================================

	Supporting Document 1. Vita of the nominees 
	
===========================================================================

Chengyan Liu (the nominee of Chair of New Comers Working Committee)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1980.9--1984.6 National University of Defense & Technology, 
               Computer Science, B.S.
1984.7--1987.8 Tienjin Software Company
1987.9--1990.12 Automation Institute of Machinery & Electronic Industry,
                System Engineering, M.S.
1991.9--present Washington University at St.Louis, Department of Economics,
                Economics, M.A. 1993.5
                Ph.D candidate
Participated 89' pro-democratic movement in Beijing, witness of June 4th
massacre.
One of the founder of the Late Comers Net.

******************************************************************************

Liu Zhengdong (the nominee of Chair of Consultation Service Committee)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

BS at Meteorology from USTC (Zhong KeDa) in 1985 
MS at Oceanography from Sinica Academia in 1988
PhD at Civil Engineering from UW-Madison in 1994

President of Chinese Independent Union at UW-Madison (91-92)
SVC member of IFCSS (92-93)

*****************************************************************************

Kai Hwang (the nominee of Chair of Sport and Creation Working Committee)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
                     Sex:       Male

Birth Place, or Hometown:       Beijing

              Birth Date:       April 14, 1963.

  Education & Experience:       Attended the Elementary school of 401
                                Institute.

                                Attended the Middle school of 401
                                Institue for six years.

                                1984 B.S. Radio & Electronics Dept.,
                                Beijing University.

                                Worked in the Second Insitute of Astronaut
                                Ministry of China(Beijing) for 3 years.

                                Admitted by Physics Depts of both Beijing Univ.
                                and Virginia Tech. 1987

                                Came to US in Semptember 1987.

                                1990 M.S Physics, Virginia Tech.

                                Ph.D. Physics, expected in next few months.

   Research/Study Fields:       Worked on non-equilibrium phase transition
                                for my Ph.D. degree in physics and now I am
                                studying computer science. My publications
                                including:

                                Physical Review Letters, Vol. 67, Number 3,
                                Page 327, 15 July 1991.

                                Europhys. Lett, 19 (1), pp.19-25 (1992),
                                1 May 1992.

                                Computer Simulations in Condensed Matter
                                Physics.
                                eds. D.P. Landau, K.K. Mon and H.B. Schuttler
                                (Springer, Berlin, 1992)

                                Physical Review E, Vol. 48, Number 2, Page 800,
                                August 1993.

                                Proceedings of the 2nd Taipei International
                                Symposium on Statistical Physics, 1-7 August
                                1993, Physica A 1993.

             Affiliation:       Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA)

                 Address:       7800E Foxridge Apt.
                                Blacksburg, VA 24060

                   Phone:       (703) 552-1542 (H)
                                (703) 231-8744 (O)

                   Email:       [email-masked]

   IFCSS Service History:       Attended the 3rd, 4th, 5th Congress.
                                Elected as 4th term Council Secretary.

*****************************************************************************

								Zhong Ling 
(The nominee of Coordinator for Anti-Discrimination Working Committee) 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tel: (313)832-4306
e-mail: [email-masked] 

1976-77:        Worker, Baoding Pharmaceutical Plant, Baoding, Hebei, China.

1978-82:        Student of English, Hebei Normal University, Shijiazhuang, 
                Hebei, China.

1982-83:        English Instructor, Baoding Teachers' Collge, Baoding, Hebei, 
                China.

1983-86:        Graduate Student in English Language and Literature, Sichuan 
                Foreign Language Institute, Chongqing, Sichuan, China.

1986-90:        English Instructor, University of International Business and 
                Economics, Beijing, China.

1990-present:   Graduate Student in Master Program of Business Administration,
                Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA.

Activities:

                President, Association of Graduate Students, Sichuan Foreign 
                Language Institue, Chongqing, China, 1985-86.

                President, Friendship Association of Chinese Students and 
                Scholars, Wayne State University, Michigan, 1982-83.

                Delegate to IFCSS 4th and 5th Congress.

===============================================================================

Supporting Document2: The Proposals and Recommendation Letters

===============================================================================

               The proposal of New Comers Working Committee
				-------------------------------------------	
			
    New Comers mainly refer to those Chinese Students (though they may 
    include part of Chinese Scholars) who came to the United States after
    April 11, 1990. Many questions have been raised through the CSPA
    (Chinese Students Protection Act) Implementation, New Comers concerned
    of their future after CSPA. Recently, there're more and more reports
    that New Comers' job application be denied simply because they have
    not been covered by CSPA. The reason is that before New Comers be
    employed, the employer must have evidence that there's no American 
    citizen or PR apply for the same position, while CSPA produced a large
    pool of PR whose major are overlapped with most of New Comers. Faced
    with this situation, New Comers Working Committee propose to work 
    closely with IFCSS HQ in the direction of working permit and visa 
    extension beyond graduation. This committee believed that the proposed
    work will ease the hardship New Comers encountered and strengthen the 
    grassroots of IFCSS. This proposal also implied that IFCSS HQ should 
    devote specific resources for the task as most of the New Comers 
    Working Committee members are full time students, they need to balance
    their time between studying and volunteer services.

    Second, New Comers Working Committee will try to supply legal advice
    for New Comers. It will help to solve problems which New Comers have 
    or will meet. Third, New Comers Working Committee will probe the 
    possibility of academic assistance for New Comers. The academic 
    excellence will partially help New Comers in the road of job hunting. 
    Fourth, as an option, New Comers Working Committee will try to organize 
    a workshop for New Comers activists to learn how to conduct social 
    activities and to exchange their experience.

    New Comers Working Committee is just a beginning. In order to improve
    IFCSS's mission, the committee should establish a broad connection
    among campuses and work hard for the future of New Comers.

******************************************************************************

               The proposal of Consultation Service Committee
				-------------------------------------------	

(1) Post the questions raised by CSS to IFCSS HQ to the public network
    such as China-Net, CCNL and SCC to collect the responses and answer
    from our readers.

(2) Compile the answers to questions as a weekly package and post to the 
    networks.

******************************************************************************

               The proposal of Sport and Creation Working Committee
				---------------------------------------------------	

Honorable IFCSS Council:

      The following is my plan for IFCSS Sport and Creation Working
Committee:

     1. Set up a leading group(the committee) for this working committee.
        Set up corresponding rules for this committee.

     2. Build connection between this working committee and local activitists
        of sports and recreation. Meanwhile set a net for their communication
        on IFCSS.org.

     3. Based on such comunication, encourage activities on sports and
        recreations among local Chinese students and scholars.

     4. Collect proposals of such activities or programs from local leaders.

     5. Review proposals and select outstanding ones to support.

     6. Contact with IFCSS Headquarters to get final approval and financial
        support for selected programs.

     7. Monitor the proceeding of the program until they finish, then
        report to IFCSS Headquarters and to the public.

                                                Sincerely,

                                                Kai Hwang

*****************************************************************************

	Recommendation for Zhang Qingsong as Editor in Chief of News Letter
	--------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Council Members:

    Because the IFCSS Newsletter is an important part of IFCSS's
grassroots and public relations work, it is urgent that an Editor
in Chief be appointed as soon as possible.

     I would like to strongly recommend Mr. Zhang Qingsong as the
Editor in Chief of the Newsletter.

    I recommend Mr. Zhang because I belief that he is the
best candidate available for this task. He has the commitment,
qualifications, zeal and abilities to be a good Editor in Chief
of the Newsletter.

    Mr. Zhang has an excellent educational background. He has a
B.A. in Modern Chinese History from Nanjing University, a M.A.
in Sino-American Relations from the University of Virginia, and
he is a Ph.D. candidate in American Immigration History at
the University of Virginia.

    Mr. Zhang is a veteran soldier of IFCSS. He has been a delegate
to IFCSS's 2nd, 4th and 5th Congresses. He was one of the founders
of IFCSS Human Rights Committee. He was IFCSS's local coordinator
for several years and he participated in a lot of IFCSS projects.
He was the local CSSS leader at the University of Virginia and
maintained a good relationship between IFCSS and CSSS at UVA.

    In the fourth term, Mr. Zhang postponed his dissertation
research to work in the HQ as the Executive Director. He was so
devoted to the IFCSS in the past year that he did not have time
to complete his dissertation even though some professors have been
demanding to review his dissertation for publication.

    Mr. Zhang has good relations with various student groups and
extensive connections within the CSS community. He has excellent
writing skills in both Chinese and English. He is familiar with
the history and operation of IFCSS and its branches. He has
excellent knowledge in word processing, database, and Chinese
computer editing. All these are necessary qualifications for a good
Editor in Chief.

     For these reasons, I hope that the Council will accept my
recommendation.

                                Sincerely,

                                Lin Changsheng
                                President of IFCSS

*****************************************************************************

        Nominate Assistant Treasurer (concurrently)
		------------------------------------------

To: IFCSS Council
From: IFCSS HQ

Date: Sept 3, 1993

Re: Nominate Assistant Treasurer

Dear Member of the council:

     I hereby nominate Mr. Liu Xiaozhu, IFCSS Executive Director,
as the assistant Treasurer. I hope this nomination will be approved
as soon as possible.

Sincerely yours,

Lin Changsheng

President of IFCSS

*****************************************************************************

               The proposal of Anti-Discrimination Working Committee
				----------------------------------------------------

	The converting chart incident at Ball State Univ. is a shocking incident
of discrmination against CSS.  It was only after pressure exerted by IFCSS that
the authority started investigation.  The formation of Anti-discrimination
Committee will help to get the most satisfactory solution of this by i) 
developing expertise on anti-discrimination, ii) exerting influence in the public opinion.

	This shows that it is important to organize and protect our own rights.
In the long run Anti-discrimination Comittee will work on cases of discrimination against CSS and inhance their rights.
through team efforts.

	When I was growing up in the cultural Revolution human rights were 
something unheard of.  When I stood in defiance of the Marshal Law in 
Tianamen Square I believed that human rights were sth worth fighting for and
the best system to realize human rights was democracy.  However no system is perfect.  What is important is that there is a lot we can do to protect and 
enhance our rights in the scope of law.

	I have the commitment for this task.

Zhong Ling

Signed

****************************** END *******************************************