Subject: final draft of cn5005

From: [email-masked] (priv=-10 D.C.)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 93 01:16:46 -0500

Please send your input for the following minute.
Liuqun, if there're no problem, could you please sign it ?
HQ, please check the HQ working report part and project part. Send me changes
as soon as possible.

[DRAFT]
	IFCSS 5th Term Council News Release CN5005

		-- Minute of the Second Council Teleconference
							Nov. 21, 1993

The second IFCSS council regular teleconference started at 21:00 EDT,
Saturday, November 20, 1993. The conference lasted about 4 hours.
The attendants include:
IFCSS council members:
	Ren Songlin, Wang Jing 		(Northeastern Region)
	Qi Bin, Liu Chen 		(Eastern Region)
	Chen Dong, Shao Qing 		(Mid-Atlantic Region)
	Fan Hongran, Zhou Hongguang 	(Southeastern Region)
	Zhang Feng, Ding Yungui 	(Midwestern Region)
	Wang Yu, Zhang Li 		(Southwestern Region)
	Dong Liqun, Liang Er 		(Northwestern Region)
	Shen Tong, Xu Datong 		(Pacific Region)
IFCSS HQ staffs:
	Lin Changsheng (IFCSS President),
	Huang Songyun (IFCSS HQ Chief of Staff)
Invited guests:
	Jiang Zuihong (IFCSS Treasurer),
	Bai Yan, Liu Xiang (IFCSS SVC), Lou Lishi (IFCSS SVC).

IFCSS HQ quarterly working report, IFCSS Working Committees and projects
proposals and nominations, Council Finance Inspection Team report have
been reviewed in the meeting.

The following is a brief of the meeting.

1. The meeting starts with the adoption of the Order of the conference.

2. Minute of the 1st tele-conference (cn5003) is approved through 
unanimous consent.

3. Lin Changshen gives quarterly working report.
IFCSS HQ's work for this period is focused on the following four parts.
 a. Student Services
   1) Organizations: have set up four Working Committees
	Consultation Services Committee
	Sport and Creation Committee
	Anti-Discrimination Committee
	New Comers Committee
   2) Defend Chinese students' right
	Ms. Hu Liqun's unfair treatment by university
	New-comer students' concerted issues
   3) Services
	Health insurance service
	Long distance telephone discount service
	Airline tickets discount service
	Job searching service
        Continuing CSPA application service
      Services still in preparing include: telephone calling card and
      students match maker.
 b. Human Right
   1) Continuing donations to human right and 6.4 victims
   2) Donations for families of political prisoners in China
 c. Exchange with China
   1) Open letter to Jiang Zemin has generated great support and
      attention from fellow students.
   2) Preparing home coming delegation
   3) Set up 3 exchange projects
 d. Grass root development
   Within last three months, HQ staffs went to local schools four
   times, drove more than 6000 miles and visited about 60 schools.

4. Discuss and vote for new IFCSS Working Committees.
 a. Liu Chengyan, Liu Zhendong and Hwang Kai are approved as the
    Chairs of newly set up New Comers Working Committee, Consultation 
    Services Committee and Sport and Creation Working Committee 
    respectively.
 b. Zhong Ling is approved as the coordinator for the newly set up
    Anti-Discrimination Working Committee (final name of the committee 
    to be decided).
 c. Liu Xiaozhu is approved as the assistant Treasurer.
 d. Resolution to set IFCSS Newsletter project and open to public
    bidding is adopted. IFCSS HQ shall appoint a temporal staff for the
    Newsletter before an editor-in-chief is found.

5. Council Finance Inspection Team gives report of inspection.
IFCSS finance situation and finance report format are heavily debated.

6. 3 IFCSS projects is discussed and approved.
 a. Chinese Scholars Home-coming Teaching Mission
	-- proposed by Xiaoming Yu
    To mobilize the Chinese scholars in the US to help training school
    administrators and raise education administration level in China
    by introducing new educational theories and advanced instructional
    technologies to their Chinese colleagues.
 b. Establish IFCSS Education Fund
	-- proposed by Jinghong Li
    Designed to provide limited assistship to students and teachers of
    high, mid and elementary schools in China's rural and/or poor areas.
 c. Chinese Scholars in US Summer Exchange Camp
	-- proposed by Wei Yuan
    Introduce frontiers in different area of science, research administration, 
    science developing strategies. Organize discussions, talks in large and
    middle cities among scientists, middle-level decision makers and
    R&D of industries.

7. No new Council resolutions have been accepted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attachment: Resolutions and Voting Records

=============================================================================
I.	The Bill of Recommendation of The Chairs of New Comers Working
	Committee, Chair of Consultation Services Committee and
	Chair of Sport and Creation Working Committee
        of the 5th IFCSS to the 2nd Council Teleconference
(CP5021)	by Personnel Committee of 5th IFCSS Council

The 5th IFCSS President Lin Changsheng has nominated Mr. Liu Chengyan
as Chair of New Comers Working Committee, Mr. Liu Zhengdong as Chair
of Consultation Services Committee and Huang Kai as Sport and
Creation Working Committee. The Personnel Committee has interviewed
the nominees and has preliminarily approved. On behalf the Personnel
Committee, I send the vita of the nominees and the proposals of the
working committees written by the Chair nominees to the 2nd Council
Teleconference for vote. We have out all of the three nominees are
very qualified and I feel greatly honored to introduce them to the
Council.

[Supporting documents]
	--------------------------------------------------------
               The proposal of New Comers Working Committee

New Comers mainly refer to those Chinese Students (though they may 
include part of Chinese Scholars) who came to the United States after
April 11, 1990. Many questions have been raised through the CSPA
(Chinese Students Protection Act) Implementation, New Comers concerned
of their future after CSPA. Recently, there're more and more reports
that New Comers' job application be denied simply because they have
not been covered by CSPA. The reason is that before New Comers be
employed, the employer must have evidence that there's no American 
citizen or PR apply for the same position, while CSPA produced a large
pool of PR whose major are overlapped with most of New Comers. Faced
with this situation, New Comers Working Committee propose to work 
closely with IFCSS HQ in the direction of working permit and visa 
extension beyond graduation. This committee believed that the proposed
work will ease the hardship New Comers encountered and strengthen the 
grassroots of IFCSS. This proposal also implied that IFCSS HQ should 
devote specific resources for the task as most of the New Comers 
Working Committee members are full time students, they need to balance
their time between studying and volunteer services.

Second, New Comers Working Committee will try to supply legal advice
for New Comers. It will help to solve problems which New Comers have 
or will meet. Third, New Comers Working Committee will probe the 
possibility of academic assistance for New Comers. The academic 
excellence will partially help New Comers in the road of job hunting. 
Fourth, as an option, New Comers Working Committee will try to organize 
a workshop for New Comers activists to learn how to conduct social 
activities and to exchange their experience.

New Comers Working Committee is just a beginning. In order to improve
IFCSS's mission, the committee should establish a broad connection
among campuses and work hard for the future of New Comers.
	--------------------------------------------------------
		Vita of the nominee
Chengyan Liu (the nominee of Chair of New Comers Working Committee)

1980.9--1984.6 National University of Defense & Technology, 
               Computer Science, B.S.
1984.7--1987.8 Tienjin Software Company
1987.9--1990.12 Automation Institute of Machinery & Electronic Industry,
                System Engineering, M.S.
1991.9--present Washington University at St.Louis, Department of Economics,
                Economics, M.A. 1993.5
                Ph.D candidate
Participated 89' pro-democratic movement in Beijing, witness of June 4th
massacre.
One of the founder of the Late Comers Net.
Editor of CND.
	********************************************************
               The proposal of Consultation Service Committee

(1) Post the questions raised by CSS to IFCSS HQ to the public network
    such as China-Net, CCNL and SCC to collect the responses and answer
    from our readers.

(2) Compile the answers to questions as a weekly package and post to the 
    networks.
	--------------------------------------------------------
		Vita of the nominee
Liu Zhengdong (the nominee of Chair of Consultation Service Committee)

BS at Meteorology from USTC (Zhong KeDa) in 1985 
MS at Oceanography from Sinica Academia in 1988
PhD at Civil Engineering from UW-Madison in 1994

President of Chinese Independent Union at UW-Madison (91-92)
SVC member of IFCSS (92-93)
	********************************************************
               The proposal of Sport and Creation Working Committee

Honorable IFCSS Council:

The following is my plan for IFCSS Sport and Creation Working
Committee:

1. Set up a leading group(the committee) for this working committee.
   Set up corresponding rules for this committee.

2. Build connection between this working committee and local activitists
   of sports and recreation. Meanwhile set a net for their communication
   on IFCSS.org.

3. Based on such communication, encourage activities on sports and
   recreations among local Chinese students and scholars.

4. Collect proposals of such activities or programs from local leaders.

5. Review proposals and select outstanding ones to support.

6. Contact with IFCSS Headquarters to get final approval and financial
   support for selected programs.

7. Monitor the proceeding of the program until they finish, then
   report to IFCSS Headquarters and to the public.

                                                Sincerely,

                                                Kai Hwang
	--------------------------------------------------------
		Vita of the nominee
Kai Hwang (the nominee of Chair of Sport and Creation Working Committee)

                     Sex:       Male

Birth Place, or Hometown:       Beijing

              Birth Date:       April 14, 1963.

  Education & Experience:       Attended the Elementary school of 401
                                Institute.

                                Attended the Middle school of 401
                                Institute for six years.

                                1984 B.S. Radio & Electronics Dept.,
                                Beijing University.

                                Worked in the Second Institute of Astronaut
                                Ministry of China(Beijing) for 3 years.

                                Admitted by Physics Depts of both Beijing Univ.
                                and Virginia Tech. 1987

                                Came to US in September 1987.

                                1990 M.S Physics, Virginia Tech.

                                Ph.D. Physics, expected in next few months.

   Research/Study Fields:       Worked on non-equilibrium phase transition
                                for my Ph.D. degree in physics and now I am
                                studying computer science. My publications
                                including:

                                Physical Review Letters, Vol. 67, Number 3,
                                Page 327, 15 July 1991.

                                Europhys. Lett, 19 (1), pp.19-25 (1992),
                                1 May 1992.

                                Computer Simulations in Condensed Matter
                                Physics.
                                eds. D.P. Landau, K.K. Mon and H.B. Schuttler
                                (Springer, Berlin, 1992)

                                Physical Review E, Vol. 48, Number 2, Page 800,
                                August 1993.

                                Proceedings of the 2nd Taipei International
                                Symposium on Statistical Physics, 1-7 August
                                1993, Physica A 1993.

             Affiliation:       Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA)

                 Address:       7800E Foxridge Apt.
                                Blacksburg, VA 24060

                   Phone:       (703) 552-1542 (H)
                                (703) 231-8744 (O)

                   Email:       [email-masked]

   IFCSS Service History:       Attended the 3rd, 4th, 5th Congress.
                                Elected as 4th term Council Secretary.

[Note: CP5021 was adopted as CR5012 through unanimous consent.]
=============================================================================
II.	Renomination of Zhang Qingsong as the Chief Editor of
        		IFCSS News Letter
(CP5022)	by Personnel Committee of 5th IFCSS Council

The 5th IFCSS President Lin Changsheng has re-nominated 
Mr. Zhang Qingsong as the Chief Editor of IFCSS News Letter 
on September. 3, 1993 .   

The Personnel Committee has interviewed him and has 
preliminarily approved. Reviewing Mr. Zhang's experience 
and background, we think that Mr. Zhang is very qualified 
for this position. On behalf the Personnel Committee of 
Council, I feel greatly honored to strongly recommendation 
Mr. Zhang Qingsong as  the Chief Editor of IFCSS News Letter. 
We hope that the council approve the issue in the 2nd teleconference.
The Council should discuss the issue carefully and 
consider the personnel arraignment independent on the financial 
budget issue in the 2nd teleconference.     

[Supporting document]
	--------------------------------------------------------
    My Recommendation for Zhang Qingsong as Editor in Chief

Dear Council Members:

    Because the IFCSS Newsletter is an important part of IFCSS's
grassroots and public relations work, it is urgent that an Editor
in Chief be appointed as soon as possible.

     I would like to strongly recommend Mr. Zhang Qingsong as the
Editor in Chief of the Newsletter.

    I recommend Mr. Zhang because I belief that he is the
best candidate available for this task. He has the commitment,
qualifications, zeal and abilities to be a good Editor in Chief
of the Newsletter.

    Mr. Zhang has an excellent educational background. He has a
B.A. in Modern Chinese History from Nanjing University, a M.A.
in Sino-American Relations from the University of Virginia, and
he is a Ph.D. candidate in American Immigration History at
the University of Virginia.

    Mr. Zhang is a veteran soldier of IFCSS. He has been a delegate
to IFCSS's 2nd, 4th and 5th Congresses. He was one of the founders
of IFCSS Human Rights Committee. He was IFCSS's local coordinator
for several years and he participated in a lot of IFCSS projects.
He was the local CSSS leader at the University of Virginia and
maintained a good relationship between IFCSS and CSSS at UVA.

    In the fourth term, Mr. Zhang postponed his dissertation
research to work in the HQ as the Executive Director. He was so
devoted to the IFCSS in the past year that he did not have time
to complete his dissertation even though some professors have been
demanding to review his dissertation for publication.

    Mr. Zhang has good relations with various student groups and
extensive connections within the CSS community. He has excellent
writing skills in both Chinese and English. He is familiar with
the history and operation of IFCSS and its branches. He has
excellent knowledge in word processing, database, and Chinese
computer editing. All these are necessary qualifications for a good
Editor in Chief.

     For these reasons, I hope that the Council will accept my
recommendation.

                                Sincerely,

                                Lin Changsheng
                                President of IFCSS

[Note: CP5022 was laid out of table, as result of CP5023]
=============================================================================
III.	Motion to consider a Newsletter resolution
(CM5008)	by Zhou Hongguang

	Request meeting to accept a resolution for IFCSS Newsletter.
[Note: CM5008 was adopted  by meeting chair 
	with 10 Yeah, 2 Abstains, 4 Nay]
=============================================================================
IV.	Resolution for the open bid of IFCSS Newsletter project
(CP5023)	by Zhou Hongguang/Wang Jing

1. Set IFCSS Newsletter as a IFCSS project.
2. HQ shall appoint a temporal staff for IFCSS Newsletter until a
   permanent editor in chief is found.
[Note: CP5023 was adopted as CR5013 with 9 Yeah, 5 Abstains, 1 Nay]
=============================================================================
V.	Renomination of Mr. Liu Xiaozhu, IFCSS Executive Director, 
        		as the assistant Treasurer
(CP5024)	by Personnel Committee of 5th IFCSS Council

Dear Chair and Co-Chair:

The 5th IFCSS President Lin Changsheng has nominated 
Mr. Liu Xiaozhu, IFCSS Executive Director, as the assistant 
Treasurer, on September. 3, 1993 .   

The Personnel Committee has interviewed him and has 
preliminarily approved. This arrangement can save one person
salary expanses and also can increase HQ working efficiency 
because Mr. Liu is a full time staff and HQ Treasurer is a half time 
staff. On behalf the Personnel Committee of Council, I feel greatly 
honored to recommendation Mr. Liu Xiaozhu 
as the assistant Treasurer, we hope that the Council approve 
the position in the 2nd Tele-meeting.     

[Supporting document]
	--------------------------------------------------------
        Nominate Assistant Treasurer

Dear Member of the council:

     I hereby nominate Mr. Liu Xiaozhu, IFCSS Executive Director,
as the assistant Treasurer. I hope this nomination will be approved
as soon as possible.

Sincerely yours,

Lin Changsheng

President of IFCSS

[Note: CP5024 was adopted as CR5014 through unanimous consent.]
=============================================================================
VI.	Recommendation of The coordinator for the Anti-Discrimination 
			Working Committee of the 5th IFCSS
(CP5025)	by Personnel Committee of 5th IFCSS Council

The 5th IFCSS President Lin Changsheng has nominated Ms. Zhong Ling as
the coordinator for the Anti-Discrimination Working Committee. The
Personnel Committee has interviewed the nominee and has preliminarily
approved. Ms. Zhong is a very active person in the IFCSS. She has many
new ideas to organize the CCS community fighting with our right. She
have collected several cases and discussed with many CCS to encourage
them participate. On behalf the Personnel Committee, I send the vita of
the Ms. Zhong and the proposals(it will send later) of the working
committee written by Ms. Zhong to the 2nd Council Teleconference for
approve. We have find out all of  Ms. Zhong is very qualified and I 
feel greatly honored to introduce Ms. Zhong to the Council.

        Ren Songlin
        Chair, Personnel Committee of the 5th IFCSS Council
[Supporting document]
	--------------------------------------------------------
		Nomination

To: Council of IFCSS
From: IFCSS HQ

I hereby nominate Zhong Ling as the coordinator for
the Anti-Discrimination Working Committee. Zhong Ling
was former President of CSSA in Wayne State University,
the delegate to IFCSS 4th and 5th congresses.
She has the experience and commitment to do the job.

Please approve this nomination in the upcoming conference.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Lin Changsheng
President of IFCSS
	--------------------------------------------------------
               The proposal of Anti-Discrimination Working Committee

        The converting chart incident at Ball State Univ. is a shocking
incident of discrimination against CSS.  It was only after pressure 
exerted by IFCSS that the authority started investigation. The formation 
of Anti-discrimination Committee will help to get the most satisfactory 
solution of this by i) developing expertise on anti-discrimination, 
ii) exerting influence in the public opinion.

        This shows that it is important to organize and protect our own 
rights. In the long run Anti-discrimination Committee will work on cases 
of discrimination against CSS and enhance their rights. through team 
efforts.

        When I was growing up in the cultural Revolution human rights 
were something unheard of.  When I stood in defiance of the Marshal Law 
in Tianamen Square I believed that human rights were still worth fighting 
for and the best system to realize human rights was democracy.  However 
no system is perfect.  What is important is that there is a lot we can 
do to protect and enhance our rights in the scope of law.

        I have the commitment for this task.

Zhong Ling
	--------------------------------------------------------
		Vita of the nominee
Zhong Ling
(The nominee of Coordinator for Anti-Discrimination Working Committee)

Tel: (313)832-4306
e-mail: [email-masked]

1976-77:        Worker, Baoding Pharmaceutical Plant, Baoding, Hebei, China.

1978-82:        Student of English, Hebei Normal University, Shijiazhuang,
                Hebei, China.

1982-83:        English Instructor, Baoding Teachers' College, Baoding, Hebei,
                China.

1983-86:        Graduate Student in English Language and Literature, Sichuan
                Foreign Language Institute, Chongqing, Sichuan, China.

1986-90:        English Instructor, University of International Business and
                Economics, Beijing, China.

1990-present:   Graduate Student in Master Program of Business Administration,
                Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA.

Activities:

                President, Association of Graduate Students, Sichuan Foreign
                Language Institute, Chongqing, China, 1985-86.

                President, Friendship Association of Chinese Students and
                Scholars, Wayne State University, Michigan, 1982-83.

                Delegate to IFCSS 4th and 5th Congress.

[Note: CP5025 was adopted as CR5015 through unanimous consent.
	Another appropriate shall be chosen by HQ and/or the working committee.]
=============================================================================
VII.	Three IFCSS projects
[Note: All three projects are approved through unanimous consent.]
=============================================================================
VIII.	Motion to accept a resolution
(CM5009)	by Chen Dong/Shao Qing
	Request meeting to accept following resolution:

	Resolution for reinforce council by-law
1. Council members must obey all IFCSS constitution, by-law and IFCSS
Council by-law and other related regulations.
2. Authorization of agent(s) to represent Council must submit written 
request and approved by Council.
[CM5009 was not approved with 5 Yeah, 5 Abstains, 3 Nay, 4 absent]
=============================================================================
[Voting Records]
		CM5008	CP5023	CM5009
Chen Dong       A	A	Y
Ding Yungui     Y	Y	N
Dong Liqun      Y	Y	N
Fan Hongran     Y	Y	A
Wang Yu		N	A	-
Liang Er        N	A	Y
Liu Chen        Y	Y	N
Qi Bing         Y	Y	-
Ren Songlin     N	N	Y
Shao Qing       N	A	Y
Shen Tong       Y	Y	-
Wang Jing       Y	Y	A
Xu Datong       A	A	A
Zhang Feng      Y	Y	A
Zhang Li        Y	A	A
Zhou Hongguang  Y	Y	-

-----------                                                 ____   __o
Dong Chen, LPR, U. of Maryland, College Park, MD20742, USA  ___   -\<,
[email-masked] (301)405-5025(O) (301)314-9437(fax)       ....0/ 0