From: Songlin Ren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 11:28:29 -0500

===========================================================================

	The Bill of Recommendation of The Chairs of New Working Committee
	of the 5th IFCSS to the 2nd Council Teleconference

	By Personnel Committee of 5th IFCSS Council

	Dear Chair and Co-Chair:

	The 5th IFCSS President Lin Changsheng has nominated Mr. Liu Chengyan
	as Chair of New Comers Working Committe, Mr. Liu Zhengdong as Chair
	of Consultation Services Committee and Huang Kai as Sport and 
	Creation Working Committee. The Personnel Committe has interviewed
	the nominees and has preliminarily approved. On behalf the Personnel
	Committee, I send the vita of the nominees and the proposals of the
	working committes written by the Chair nominees to the 2nd Council 
	Teleconferened for vote. We have out all of the three nominees are
	very qualified and I feel greatly honoured to introduce them to the
	Council.

	Ren Songlin
	Chair, Personnel Committee of the 5th IFCSS Council

*****************************************************************************

               The proposal of New Comers Working Committee

    New Comers mainly refer to those Chinese Students (though they may 
    include part of Chinese Scholars) who came to the United States after
    April 11, 1990. Many questions have been raised through the CSPA
    (Chinese Students Protection Act) Implementation, New Comers concerned
    of their future after CSPA. Recently, there're more and more reports
    that New Comers' job application be denied simply because they have
    not been covered by CSPA. The reason is that before New Comers be
    employed, the employer must have evidence that there's no American 
    citizen or PR apply for the same position, while CSPA produced a large
    pool of PR whose major are overlapped with most of New Comers. Faced
    with this situation, New Comers Working Committee propose to work 
    closely with IFCSS HQ in the direction of working permit and visa 
    extension beyond graduation. This committee believed that the proposed
    work will ease the hardship New Comers encountered and strengthen the 
    grassroots of IFCSS. This proposal also implied that IFCSS HQ should 
    devote specific resources for the task as most of the New Comers 
    Working Committee members are full time students, they need to balance
    their time between studying and volunteer services.

    Second, New Comers Working Committee will try to supply legal advice
    for New Comers. It will help to solve problems which New Comers have 
    or will meet. Third, New Comers Working Committee will probe the 
    possibility of academic assistance for New Comers. The academic 
    excellence will partially help New Comers in the road of job hunting. 
    Fourth, as an option, New Comers Working Committee will try to organize 
    a workshop for New Comers activists to learn how to conduct social 
    activities and to exchange their experience.

    New Comers Working Committee is just a beginning. In order to improve
    IFCSS's mission, the committee should establish a broad connection
    among campuses and work hard for the future of New Comers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chengyan Liu (the nominee of Chair of New Comers Working Committee)

1980.9--1984.6 National University of Defense & Technology, 
               Computer Science, B.S.
1984.7--1987.8 Tienjin Software Company
1987.9--1990.12 Automation Institute of Machinery & Electronic Industry,
                System Engineering, M.S.
1991.9--present Washington University at St.Louis, Department of Economics,
                Economics, M.A. 1993.5
                Ph.D candidate
Participated 89' pro-democratic movement in Beijing, witness of June 4th
massacre.
One of the founder of the Late Comers Net.
Editor of CND.

******************************************************************************

               The proposal of Consultation Service Committee

(1) Post the questions raised by CSS to IFCSS HQ to the public network
    such as China-Net, CCNL and SCC to collect the responses and answer
    from our readers.

(2) Compile the answers to questions as a weekly package and post to the 
    networks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liu Zhengdong (the nominee of Chair of Consultation Service Committee)

BS at Meteorology from USTC (Zhong KeDa) in 1985 
MS at Oceanography from Sinica Academia in 1988
PhD at Civil Engineering from UW-Madison in 1994

President of Chinese Independent Union at UW-Madison (91-92)
SVC member of IFCSS (92-93)

*****************************************************************************

Kai Hwang (the nominee of Chair of Sport and Creation Working Committee)

                     Sex:       Male

Birth Place, or Hometown:       Beijing

              Birth Date:       April 14, 1963.

  Education & Experience:       Attended the Elementary school of 401
                                Institute.

                                Attended the Middle school of 401
                                Institue for six years.

                                1984 B.S. Radio & Electronics Dept.,
                                Beijing University.

                                Worked in the Second Insitute of Astronaut
                                Ministry of China(Beijing) for 3 years.

                                Admitted by Physics Depts of both Beijing Univ.
                                and Virginia Tech. 1987

                                Came to US in Semptember 1987.

                                1990 M.S Physics, Virginia Tech.

                                Ph.D. Physics, expected in next few months.

   Research/Study Fields:       Worked on non-equilibrium phase transition
                                for my Ph.D. degree in physics and now I am
                                studying computer science. My publications
                                including:

                                Physical Review Letters, Vol. 67, Number 3,
                                Page 327, 15 July 1991.

                                Europhys. Lett, 19 (1), pp.19-25 (1992),
                                1 May 1992.

                                Computer Simulations in Condensed Matter
                                Physics.
                                eds. D.P. Landau, K.K. Mon and H.B. Schuttler
                                (Springer, Berlin, 1992)

                                Physical Review E, Vol. 48, Number 2, Page 800,
                                August 1993.

                                Proceedings of the 2nd Taipei International
                                Symposium on Statistical Physics, 1-7 August
                                1993, Physica A 1993.

             Affiliation:       Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA)

                 Address:       7800E Foxridge Apt.
                                Blacksburg, VA 24060

                   Phone:       (703) 552-1542 (H)
                                (703) 231-8744 (O)

                   Email:       [email-masked]

   IFCSS Service History:       Attended the 3rd, 4th, 5th Congress.
                                Elected as 4th term Council Secretary.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

               The proposal of Consultation Service Committee

Honorable IFCSS Council:

      The following is my plan for IFCSS Sport and Creation Working
Committee:

     1. Set up a leading group(the committee) for this working committee.
        Set up corresponding rules for this committee.

     2. Build connection between this working committee and local activitists
        of sports and recreation. Meanwhile set a net for their communication
        on IFCSS.org.

     3. Based on such comunication, encourage activities on sports and
        recreations among local Chinese students and scholars.

     4. Collect proposals of such activities or programs from local leaders.

     5. Review proposals and select outstanding ones to support.

     6. Contact with IFCSS Headquarters to get final approval and financial
        support for selected programs.

     7. Monitor the proceeding of the program until they finish, then
        report to IFCSS Headquarters and to the public.

                                                Sincerely,

                                                Kai Hwang

================================== END ========================================