Subject: more questions about the Council (fwd)

From: Liqun Dong <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1993 01:09:10 -0800 (PST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 19:49:37 -0500 (EST)
From: Jinghong Li <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Jinghong Li <[email-masked]>
Subject: more questions about the Council

More questions about the Council

This is a follow up to Haung Kai's questions.  I think many of you 
on this net probably had the same feeling:  not to be too "picky" 
with the new term - because peopel might think we the "elits" like 
to point fingures.  Well, there is only a few days left before the 
2nd telecon.  Let's talk about them.  After all, this ifcssvc net 
was not set to always sing the glorious songs :-)

As pointed out: the Council closed the used-to-open wn;  raised their
own expenses budget; spent 11 hours on the first telecon - I had the 
tape which is 7 full 90 minutes cassettes;  also, they "passed" 
resolutions without even start the session;

Of course, to fair, they have also done something new and good, such
as works on "new comers", sub-committees more active, and etc.

But, bads and goods cannot be evened out.  I listened the 1st telecon
tapes.  They spent about 2 hours on raising their communication budget.
As Chen Dong asked during the meeting: the 4th term Council only used half 
of their budget, why should the new term almost double it?  I did not
hear a convencing explanation - but the Council passed the bill anyway.

To the end of both meetings, some Councile members with left early or went 
to sleep on the phone.   The meetings can be tipically described as chaios 
and no order.  It was hard to figure out who had the floor and who was 
taking control. 

Maybe I am picky, maybe I am not fair to those hard working council members.
But the point is: had people spent a little bit more time preparing before
the meeting, and through email, there should not have had so many last 
minutes changes and arguments.  

So, as a suggestion: dear Council members, please do your homework before 
the meeting.  Please go over the Council Bylaw at least for once - a lot 
of rules and meeting inofrmation can be learnt.  And, please open up 
the council-wn working net for observation.

BTW, Yungui, please forward this to the wn if you see suitable.

Thanks for your time.

Jinghong

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, Jinghong:

    I have posted your mail to the council net.

Liqun