Subject: FWD: Case Wester Reserve Univ. CSS propose to edit IFCSS Newsletter

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Nov 1993 21:01:04 -0500 (CDT)

================= Begin forwarded message =================

    From: [email-masked] (zhengping chen)
    To: [email-masked]
    Subject: (null)
    Date: Sun, 14 Nov

    Zheng-Ping Chen
    Chinese Students and Scholars Association
    Case Western Reserve University
    
    November 10, 1993
    
    Dear Liqun and Yungui:
    
    I have been authorized by the president of Chinese Students and Scholars 
    Association at Case Western Reserve University to submit the following 
    proposal for the consideration of the Council of IFCSS in the open bidding 
    for IFCSS Newsletter. 

         Proposal for Undertaking to Edit the 1993-1994 IFCSS Newsletter
     
    We, the Chinese Students and Scholars Association at Case Western Reserve 
    University, propose to take the responsibility of editing and dispatching the 
    IFCSS Newsletters for the year 1993-1994.  As we conceive it, the newsletter 
    has two important "missions:" promote grassroot involvement in the activities 
    or programs of IFCSS, and facilitate and improve the communication between the
    headquarter and Chinese students, scholars and professionals in the U.S..  The
    newsletter should function not only as a link between IFCSS and "grassroot," 
    autonomous organizations in universities or research institutes, but more 
    importantly as a forum where opinions, suggestions, requests, comments or 
    criticisms directed toward IFCSS are aired and collected so as to further 
    democratize IFCSS as an organization genuinely "by the people and for the 
    people."   The newsletter will not only transmit faithfully what is going on 
    in IFCSS, i.e. its official agenda, but seek to mirror the achievements as 
    well as blemishes in the operation of IFCSS.  With this in mind, we will 
    continue to, as in previous issues, inform the readers of services offered by 
    IFCSS; we will also retain the column for articles about impressions of China 
    (in its "modernization" process).  Unlike previous issues, however, we will 
    reserve a much larger space for feedback, which we hope will benefit and 
    enrich IFCSS on the long run.  In addition, we will devote a column to 
    discussions that explore IFCSS's objectives, functions, orientation, or 
    possible roles (political, social, cultural, etc.) in the Chinese community; 
    articles that touch on related subjects will be given priority in publication.
    Meanwhile, depending on contributions and feedback we receive, we will 
    continue to expand our scope to create and accommodate new columns as new 
    situations give rise to and if our resources permit.
    
    Upon initially sharing our thoughts with other, we have received endorsement 
    and support from students locally and in other states.  Some support comes in 
    the forms of specific offerings to contribute articles or to share part of the
    burden of proof-reading, or handling other technical difficulties.  Our 
    proofreaders are equipped with backgrounds in diverse fields such as science, 
    education, English, Chinese, law; moreover they will be from different states 
    such as Indiana, Montana, New York, Ohio, etc..  In short, it will be a truly
    collaborative project.
    
    Thank you for your favorable review of our proposal.  We are confident that we
    have the capacity to take up the challenge of the job and turn out high
    -qualified work that we can all be proud of.  

    end/