Subject: IFCSS to Ambassador Li

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1993 12:19:23 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 5076   November 13, 19939
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

           IFCSS to Ambassador Li Over Jiang Zemin's Visit

The Chinese President Jiang Zemin's visit is an important event
to the Sino-US relations and to our CSS community. On November 1,
the HQ issued a request (NR 5071) for inputs and opinions. Over
the last week or so, we received many phone calls, FAX and Email
messages concerning Jiang's visit. The HQ has evaluated these
inputs, and worked out our stand and plans for further actions.
As a first step, IFCSS President Lin Changsheng sent a letter to
Ambassador Li Daoyu on November 11. The HQ has contacted with
Li's office and spoken to his First Secretary. We will let you
know the official response as soon as it is available. Meanwhile
we continue to encourage you to give us your input and opinions.
The following is a translation of the original letter that Lin
Changsheng sent to Ambassador Li Daoyu.

Dear Ambassador Li Daoyu,

     Let me extend our best regards to you and your colleagues.
Next week Chinese President Jiang Zemin will come to America to
attend the APEC Summit and to meet with Mr. Clinton. The Chinese
student and scholar community here would like to express our warm
welcome to President Jiang and wish his visit a success.
     The Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars
(IFCSS) will work for China's development and progress, and for
friendly relations between China and America. To achieve this
end, we look forward to an opportunity that President Jiang or
his officials meet with the IFCSS representatives. With
constructive spirit, we would like to communicate our concern and
enter into a dialogue over the following issues.
     First, we hope to discuss with officials questions about
helping the overseas Chinese students and scholars to participate
in China's scientific, technological, cultural, educational, and
economic development. One of the historical missions that the
IFCSS takes on itself is to assist in China's modernization. We
are encouraging and assisting our members to participate in this
process. Therefore, we hope to work with various government
functions in order to create a better environment for the home-
coming students and scholars.
     Secondly, we would like to recommend that overseas Chinese
student and scholar community be represented in the People's
Congress. There are hundreds of thousands of Chinese citizens now
studying abroad, and as a distinct community, they need to have
their representatives in the People's Congress. A step like this
would show that this community is not ignored by the government,
and furthermore would increase their sense of responsibility for
their motherland.
     Thirdly, we are concerned about the question of balanced
approach between economic and political reforms. We think highly
of China's economic reform and opening to the outside world, but
we also noted that political reform has yet to be planned and
implemented. To maintain China's long term stability and
development, political reforms are a necessity. we hope to
express to President Jiang our concern and suggestions over this
issue.
     Fourthly, the IFCSS may send a delegation to visit their own
country for the purpose of observation and learning. The IFCSS is
a non-profit organization registered in America, which aims to
represent the interest of Chinese students and scholars. Over the
past few years, the organization has established its solid base
in Chinese student and scholar community, and is beginning to
exert its own influence in American society. We have a great
interest in China's development and progress, and hope to have
more direct contact in and knowledge of China. We hope that the
government will provide assistance in this matter.
     These are some of the thought that came to us at President
Jiang Zemin's impending visit. I hope you would pass our message
to President Jiang, and if possible arrange for our meeting with
him or his officials.  
     Thank you very much, and I look forward to your response.

          Sincerely, 
                              Lin Changsheng (Signed)

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*-------------------------------------------------------------------*
* President:      Lin Changsheng     Vice President:  Shi Heping    * 
* Exec. Director: Liu Xiaozhu        Chief of Staff:  Huang Songyun * 
*-------------------------------------------------------------------*
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from IFCSS E-mail mailing list, please send email to :  * 
*			[email-masked] 			    *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last name first name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last name first name         *
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************