Subject: IFCSS Report on Hu Liqun's Case

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 18:07:54 -0500

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 5102   January 27, 1994 
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

               IFCSS Report on Hu Liqun's Case
               ===============================

Since IFCSS HQ published the story of Hu Liqun, a student
fighting against the discriminatory Converting Chart at the Ball
State University (BSU), she has received many supports from the
CSS community. Despite the IFCSS intervention and open letter
campaign, the University has not changed its Converting Chart
that discriminates against the Chinese students. Now the IFCSS
Anti-discrimination Watch (chaired by Zhong Ling) has taken over
the case, and with the help of Mr. Cai Rongwei, a long time legal
counsellor of the IFCSS, Ms Hu Liqun has formally filed the
appeal against the Converting Chart at the U.S. Education
Ministry. Here is an update of the case.

At the end of March, 1993, Ms. Hu got to know that her
undergraduate GPA from Fudan University, 90.3 on 100 scale, was
converted by the school's International Program to 2.8 on 4.0
scale. Ms. Hu went to Mr. Kirk Robey, who was in charge of grade
conversion, and inquired about the conversion method. After
seeing the Converting Chart, Hu told Robey that there were
serious problems with this chart which make it inaccurate and
unfair. Robey said that he HIMSELF created this chart based on
statistical data, specifically, percentile. Upon Hu's request to
see his data base, Robey replied, "Your question goes too far. I
will not be going to change this chart today, tomorrow, or in
your life time."

Then Hu contacted university officials at every level, including
the president, calling for an re-examination of the validity of
the chart. Officials insisted that the chart has its base but
provided nothing to support the claim. 

Next, the BSU authority rejected the petition of the Chinese
Students Association (CSA) for re-examining the validity of the
chart. As the campus newspaper published the event, many faculty
and students openly expressed their support for Hu and her fellow
Chinese students. 

Pressured by the public opinion, the School finally admitted that
there is no database for its Conversion Chart, but still insisted
on its validity. That is, an "A" grade in China is still worth a
"C" grade at BSU. 

In August, Hu and his fellow students brought the case to the
attention of the IFCSS. The IFCSS HQ reviewed the case and
decided to throw its support for Hu and BSU Chinese Students
Association.

On August 26 and September 20, 1993, the IFCSS published Hu's
story on its E-Mail network, and conducted an open letter
campaign to back up Hu and CSA at Ball State. More than five
hundred signatures were collected and sent in, and local
newspapers carried the story and publish editorials to support
the Chinese student. But nothing came out of it. 

While sending an official letter to the Education Ministry, the
IFCSS began to look for solution through legal procedures. The HQ
arranged to have Mr. Cai Rongwei, a lawyer, to assist Hu to
initiate the legal procedure for appealing the discriminatory
chart. 

In October 1993, the Education Ministry formally notified Hu that
her case has been accepted and an investigation is to be started.
Now Mr. Cai Rongwei and IFCSS Anti-Discrimination Watch are
assisting Hu to prepare documents and evidence for the case,
which is still pending in the Education Ministry.  

Hu's case has drawn wide attention in the CSS community. It
indicates that more and more people in our community are
determined to stand for their rights and against any form of
discrimination. The IFCSS is your organization to serve your
interest and fight for your rights. 

If you feel you are discriminated against or your rights have
been violated, please let us know. Indeed, together and united,
we can make a difference.

To report cases, please contact:

     Ms. Ling ZHONG 
     Chair of IFCSS Anti-Discrimination Watch
     5200 Anthony Wayne Drive, #406
     Detroit, MI 48202
     Tel: (313)832-4306

*********************************************************************
*                 IFCSS Headquarters Office                         *
*-------------------------------------------------------------------*
* President:      Lin Changsheng     Vice President:  Shi Heping    * 
* Exec. Director: Liu Xiaozhu        Chief of Staff:  Huang Songyun * 
*-------------------------------------------------------------------*
* PBS-L is IFCSS's news distribution list for individuals. To sign  *
* on or off from IFCSS E-mail mailing list, please send email to :  * 
*			[email-masked] 			    *
* leave the subject line open and put in the mail body:             *
*    (For signing on)      sub PBS-L last_name first_name           *
*    (For signing off)     unsub PBS-L last_name first_name         *
*                                                                   *
* For IFCSS Service Program:  ftp: ifcss.org:/services              *
*                                                                   * 
* For more information about IFCSS, write to [email-masked]   *
*********************************************************************