Subject: Re: Academic Fund (fwd)

From: Liqun Dong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 1994 10:37:57 -0800 (PST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 1994 12:28:04 -0600
From: Yuhe Liu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Academic Fund

It's good to see the discussions on the new comers committee's Academic
Fund proposal. As a member of the IFCSS New Comers Committee, I took
part in the discussion, writing and voting on the proposal. I'd like to
explain the main points the committee stands on based on my PERSONAL
understanding.

1. There are many CSS in the US schools who support their studies by
themselves. For attending academic conferences and presenting papers,
even those who have TA/RA may have difficulties to get enough fund from
their advisors or departments. I was once in a conference in Hawaii in
1992. My advisor promised my attendance on the condition that he could
get funding from AGU (American Geophysical Union). Many students could
not get chances to attend the academic conferences because of lack of
funds. Many has to pay all or most expenses to attend the conferences.

2. The IFCSS as the CSS community organization has the responsibility
to support the CSS's academic activities and hance help their future
career. Funding CSS to attend the academic conferences and present
papers will absorlutely benefit the CSS. Therefore, setting up an
Academic Fund is necessary.

3. Since the IFCSS herself has financial limitation, we can only
consider very limited financial support from the IFCSS. $1,500 should
not be too much for the IFCSS.

4. Although many CSS including both earlier comers (EC) and new comers
(NC) need help and support for their academic activities, the new comers
have much more difficulties to get the funds. There are many foundations
in the US which provide funds to support the academic activities. But
many of them require applicants' US citizenship and/or PR for which the
NCs are not eligible. Besides, the ECs are much more experienced to seek
funds for their academic activities.

5. The committee is entitled as the New Comers Committee to represent
the NC's interests in the IFCSS. Although a general Academic Fund will
be definitely supported by the committee if the IFCSS has the ability,
considering the current IFCSS financial situation, the committee has to
stand only for the NCs for the time being.

6. The fund will not fully support 3-5 applicants. The purpose of
the fund is to encourage more NCs to attend academic conferences and
present papers. Therefore, it was proposed that the Academic Fund
administration will only consider the partial reimbursement case by
case.

Thanks, veterans, for paying attention to the proposal. We will
appreciate your support.

Chen Dong, I will appreciate if you forward my message to the Council
net. Thanks.

Yuhe