Subject: fwd: The 3rd Appeal to SVC - on Council Finance (fwd)

From: Liqun Dong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 1994 08:48:55 -0800 (PST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 1994 08:46:45 -0500 (EST)
From: Jinghong Li <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: Jinghong Li <[email-masked]>
Subject: fwd: The 3rd Appeal to SVC - on Council Finance

-- 

Please forward to council-l

Thanks

Jinghong

 .........................................................................

       The 3rd Appeal to SVC - on Council Finance Committee Open Letter

To:    IFCSS SVC
From:  Jinghong Li, U of Dayton
Date:  Jan 9, 1994
CC:    IFCSS Council, HQ, IFCSSVC and public nets

Sub:   Appeal on the "Open Letter" in the name of Council Finance Committee 

Honorable IFCSS SVC Members,

This is to appeal on a "Open Letter" in the name of Council Finance Committee 
posted on Jan 8, 1994 (see attached orginal).

I have noticed several people have posted both to public and SVC net in 
this regard.  This post to you is to make the Appeal to SVC formal and legal.

                    This "Open Letter" Is Illegal

As defined by the IFCSS Consitution, a sub-committee of the Council is 
authorized to work as an arm of the Council on specific issues and is 
held responsible to the entire Council.  All of its findings and conclusions
are subject to the Council's review and approval.  While each Council
members as individial can issue statement, letters and so on to the 
public, sub-committees as a body of IFCSS has no right what-so-ever to 
make final conclusions on any issue, let alone release "Open Letters" 
to the public.  The said action thus constitute a serious violation of 
the IFCSS Constitution, Council Bylaw and basic organizational ethical
standards.  

The IFCSS SVC therefore is asked to:

1.  Declare the said "open letter" illegal;

2.  Investigate that who released it to the public, and discipline the 
    responsible person(s).

3.  Investigate that who authorized the use of Council work account
    "[email-masked]" for such activity, and discipline the responsible
    person(s).

4.  Investigate that whether or not Council leaderships aware of the 
    said "open letter" prior to its release.

5.  Investigate that whether or not the IFCSS Council aware of the said
    "open letter" prior to its release.

6.  Clarify that any damages to IFCSS due to the said "open letter" will
    be charged against the responsible person(s).

============================================================
attached original post - 
============================================================

>From ifcss.org!chair Sat Jan  8 19:45:15 1994
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 94 18:46:56 CST
From: [email-masked] (IFCSS Council Chair)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: An Open Letter to IFCSS Council and CSS
Cc: [email-masked], ccf-editor@.ifcss.org, [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Status: RO

		An Open Letter to Council Members of IFCSS
	  and Chinese Students & Scholars (CSS) in the Community

From: 5th IFCSS Council Finance Committee
To:   5th IFCSS Copucil
      CSS Community
Date: Janurary 8, 1994

Dear IFCSS Council Members & CSS:

	The Finance Committee of IFCSS would like to bring your attention to
the IFCSS's financial situation and invite all of you to work with this 
Committee in searching answers to some missing funds in the IFCSS's accounting 
records. 

	As a result of auditing the Financial Statements prepared by 
Jiang Zuihong, the treasurer of IFCSS, the Inspection Team (IT) of the Finance 
Committee has noticed some alarming irregularities in the Financial Statements
of Fiscal Year 1992-93 and Fiscal Year 1993-94 (1st Quarter). This
includes, but not limited to, a huge amount of money left by the 4th IFCSS,
which is simply nowhere to be found in the accounting documents released to
the Inspection Team to this date. The IT, having been asking Jiang Zuihong
about the whereabouts of the money for a number of times, has not received any
direct and satisfactory reply. According to Jiang Zuihong, these monetary
differences stem from an unusual accounting format she had been using.
However, three months have passed, IT and this Committee have not seen any
willingness on the part of the IFCSS HQ to straighten up these differences,
either with the old format or any other format. More important, no matter
what format is used, revenues and expenditures must be balanced and
matched. But this seems not the case of the IFCSS accounting books.

	To ensure the IFCSS's financial assets to be kept in the best interest
of the organization and the community of the Chinese students and  scholars, 
the Finance Committee is fulfilling its duty of accountability to appeal to 
public concern and present the matter under public scrutiny. We hope all of 
you read and think over the following questions, and we look forward to your 
positive cooperation.

1. Where is $5,030.00?
	The surplus of the last term (4th) of IFCSS indicates $74,530. This 
amount of money as remaining fund from Fiscal Year 1992-93 should be carried 
over to this term (5th) with no alteration. But, in the Annual Budget for 
Fiscal Year 1993-94, the remaining fund from last term was changed to $69,500. 
The difference is $5,030.00. Now where is this $5,030.00? Please be adviced
that this $69,500 is not even mentioned at all in the Financial Statement for 
Fiscal Year 1993-94 (1st Quarter). It means that all remaining fund is taken 
away. But, where? By whom?

2. Where is the profit of CSPA--$144,439.88?
	It is well known that $50.00 processing fee was charged for
obtaining the information related to CSPA implementation and forms
such as I-845. But, do you know that total amount of of $207,798 was
submitted by the CSPA benificiaries? Deducting all DIRECT operational
expenses of CSPA Information Center, which is, according to Jiang Zuihong,
$63,278.12 (Note: the Finance Committee has not yet found the invoices &
receipts for these expenses), IFCSS of last term made a net revenue
of $144,439.88. 

	Where is this amount of $144,439.88, at least part of which 
could be used permenat foundation by IFCSS for servicing the CSS community
in USA in the years to come? Jiang Zuihong claimed that this amount was
transfered to the general fund and spent for routine operation in 
the same year. As you may recall, CSPA revenue did not realize until May & 
June, and the 5th IFCSS was not elected until July, 1993. Can you believe 
$144,439.88 was all spent in such a short time period between June 
and July? If all spent, what were they spent for? Please remember there is no 
reporting in the Financial Statements about whether they were spent or not? If 
not spent then, were they carried over to the present IFCSS? No, not a single 
penny is reflected in the Financial Statements. Again, where is $144,439.88?

3. Where is $80,000.01? 
	A huge difference in the Income Statement lies between revenues of 
$472,289 as Beginning Fund Balance of Fiscal Year 1992-93 and Excess Revenue 
of $74,530 as End Fund Balance. This means the total expenditure was $397,759. 
Did IFCSS really spend $397,759 within one year? Again, if so, what for? With 
this question in mind, the Inspection Team counted all the acutal expenses 
(not with invoives yet) and found out that the number of $397,759 is not 
factual, and is created by adding some expenses never incurred. The correct 
one for actual expenses is $317,758, after our careful counting. 

	Now the difference is $80,000.01. Where is $80,000.01? Please note 
this amount of $80,000.01 may be overlapped in part with $144,439.88 as 
afore-mentioned. Therefore, the answer to this question depends on how the 
second one is responded to. However, this third question still remains.

	The Finance Committee and IT deem that they have being done their 
best to implement the IFCSS Council Resolution to audit the IFCSS HQ financial
records and it is the time to let all the Council members and CSS
community know the problems and questions they have discovered and
encountered. We hope that with the attention of all the Council Members and
general CSS we would improve the financial operation of IFCSS and
thus consolidate the credibility and foundation of IFCSS for its
real name

	Thanks you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

IFCSS Council
Finance Committee