Subject: An Open Letter to IFCSS Council and CSS

From: chair (IFCSS Council Chair)
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 94 18:46:56 CST

An Open Letter to Council Members of IFCSS
	  and Chinese Students & Scholars (CSS) in the Community

From: 5th IFCSS Council Finance Committee
To:   5th IFCSS Copucil
      CSS Community
Date: Janurary 8, 1994

Dear IFCSS Council Members & CSS:

	The Finance Committee of IFCSS would like to bring your attention to
the IFCSS's financial situation and invite all of you to work with this 
Committee in searching answers to some missing funds in the IFCSS's accounting 
records. 

	As a result of auditing the Financial Statements prepared by 
Jiang Zuihong, the treasurer of IFCSS, the Inspection Team (IT) of the Finance 
Committee has noticed some alarming irregularities in the Financial Statements
of Fiscal Year 1992-93 and Fiscal Year 1993-94 (1st Quarter). This
includes, but not limited to, a huge amount of money left by the 4th IFCSS,
which is simply nowhere to be found in the accounting documents released to
the Inspection Team to this date. The IT, having been asking Jiang Zuihong
about the whereabouts of the money for a number of times, has not received any
direct and satisfactory reply. According to Jiang Zuihong, these monetary
differences stem from an unusual accounting format she had been using.
However, three months have passed, IT and this Committee have not seen any
willingness on the part of the IFCSS HQ to straighten up these differences,
either with the old format or any other format. More important, no matter
what format is used, revenues and expenditures must be balanced and
matched. But this seems not the case of the IFCSS accounting books.

	To ensure the IFCSS's financial assets to be kept in the best interest
of the organization and the community of the Chinese students and  scholars, 
the Finance Committee is fulfilling its duty of accountability to appeal to 
public concern and present the matter under public scrutiny. We hope all of 
you read and think over the following questions, and we look forward to your 
positive cooperation.

1. Where is $5,030.00?
	The surplus of the last term (4th) of IFCSS indicates $74,530. This 
amount of money as remaining fund from Fiscal Year 1992-93 should be carried 
over to this term (5th) with no alteration. But, in the Annual Budget for 
Fiscal Year 1993-94, the remaining fund from last term was changed to $69,500. 
The difference is $5,030.00. Now where is this $5,030.00? Please be adviced
that this $69,500 is not even mentioned at all in the Financial Statement for 
Fiscal Year 1993-94 (1st Quarter). It means that all remaining fund is taken 
away. But, where? By whom?

2. Where is the profit of CSPA--$144,439.88?
	It is well known that $50.00 processing fee was charged for
obtaining the information related to CSPA implementation and forms
such as I-845. But, do you know that total amount of of $207,798 was
submitted by the CSPA benificiaries? Deducting all DIRECT operational
expenses of CSPA Information Center, which is, according to Jiang Zuihong,
$63,278.12 (Note: the Finance Committee has not yet found the invoices &
receipts for these expenses), IFCSS of last term made a net revenue
of $144,439.88. 

	Where is this amount of $144,439.88, at least part of which 
could be used permenat foundation by IFCSS for servicing the CSS community
in USA in the years to come? Jiang Zuihong claimed that this amount was
transfered to the general fund and spent for routine operation in 
the same year. As you may recall, CSPA revenue did not realize until May & 
June, and the 5th IFCSS was not elected until July, 1993. Can you believe 
$144,439.88 was all spent in such a short time period between June 
and July? If all spent, what were they spent for? Please remember there is no 
reporting in the Financial Statements about whether they were spent or not? If 
not spent then, were they carried over to the present IFCSS? No, not a single 
penny is reflected in the Financial Statements. Again, where is $144,439.88?

3. Where is $80,000.01? 
	A huge difference in the Income Statement lies between revenues of 
$472,289 as Beginning Fund Balance of Fiscal Year 1992-93 and Excess Revenue 
of $74,530 as End Fund Balance. This means the total expenditure was $397,759. 
Did IFCSS really spend $397,759 within one year? Again, if so, what for? With 
this question in mind, the Inspection Team counted all the acutal expenses 
(not with invoives yet) and found out that the number of $397,759 is not 
factual, and is created by adding some expenses never incurred. The correct 
one for actual expenses is $317,758, after our careful counting. 

	Now the difference is $80,000.01. Where is $80,000.01? Please note 
this amount of $80,000.01 may be overlapped in part with $144,439.88 as 
afore-mentioned. Therefore, the answer to this question depends on how the 
second one is responded to. However, this third question still remains.

	The Finance Committee and IT deem that they have being done their 
best to implement the IFCSS Council Resolution to audit the IFCSS HQ financial
records and it is the time to let all the Council members and CSS
community know the problems and questions they have discovered and
encountered. We hope that with the attention of all the Council Members and
general CSS we would improve the financial operation of IFCSS and
thus consolidate the credibility and foundation of IFCSS for its
real name

	Thanks you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

IFCSS Council
Finance Committee

---

From: [email-masked] (priv=-10 D.C.)
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 70 07:37:45 -0500

I am not talking about wether it is appropriate for Council Finance Committee
to release letter to the CSS without notifying (not even consent from) other council
members. I am not going to comment wether the open letter included all the facts that
(or, are they facts ?) Finance Committee knows for the related matter.

	I just want to state two points (especially for ccf and cnd editors),

    1. Council Finance Committee is elected by and responsible for Council and
       Council only. It is not the speaker of council.
    2. [email-masked] is an account of council "working and archieving site, and for 
       maintenance" of council files. It is not appropriate to use this account
       releasing such a leter. And definitely it represents no more authority than
       a normal email account.

Also, please notice that before any formal conclusion from Council (even the
Inspection Team) been reached, all the discussions posted, expressed only represent
that of the person him/her self. All the materials might be immature and incomplete.

Dong Chen
Chair of Rule Committee
IFCSS Council

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

             Wishing you all Happy Holidays
           ...        *                        *       *
             ...   *         *    ..and...                     *
        *      ...        *           *            *
                 ...                   ... A Happy New Year!      *
                   ..                            *
           *        ..        *                       *
                  __##____              *                      *
         *    *  /  ##  ****                   *
                /        ****               *         *  X   *
          *    /        ******     *                    XXX      *
              /___________*****          *             XXXXX
               |            ***               *       XXXXXXX   X
           *   | ___        |            *       *   XXXXXXXX  XXX
         *     | | |   ___  | *       *             XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
               | |_|   | |  ****             *           X   XXXXXXX
           *********** | | *******      *                X      X
        ************************************************************

          __
   ______/ /301-405-5025(O)____301-314-9437(fax)     Dong Chen
  / ____/ /_  ___  ___    / __ \____  ___  ____(C)   LPR, Univ. of Maryland
 / /   / __ \/ _ \/ _ \  / / / / __ \/ _ \/ __ \     College Park, MD 20742
/ /___/ / / /  __/ // / / /_/ / /_/ / // / /_/ / 
\____/_/ /_/\___/_//_/ /_____/\____/_//_/\__  /  "Everytime I see  a friend
 __________________________________________/ /    succeed, a little part of 
/___________________________________________/     me dies"     - Gore Vidal