Subject: Development on Georgia's driver license

From: Hongguang Zhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 17:43:53 -0400 (EDT)

Subject: Georgia's drivers' license

		MEMO

From:	Hongguang Zhou, IFCSS Council Member-the Southeast

To:	IFCSS Council, IFCSS HQ	
Cc:	CSS Community
Date:	6/10/94

Subj:	Development on Georgia's driver's license

	The International Students and Scholars Office at Emory University 
has taken steps to address the problem with newly implemented drivers 
license procedures with the Georgia Driver's License Office. According to 
Dean Lelia Crawford, Director of the Office and the International 
Advisor, the problem might had started when the the Georgia Driver's 
License Office (GDLO) revised the procedures to obtain a Georgia driver's 
license under the recently passed an act regarding drving previlege by the 
Georgia General Assembly. The GDLO has apprantly overlooked the 
international students and scholars who hold F-1 or J-1 visa residing in 
Georgia and did not include I-20 and relevant documentations as 
equaivelant identification papers as the Permenant Resident Cards. This 
seems reflect the lack of the knowledge of the visa and the color of law 
with GDLO.

	Dean Crawford also revealed that administrators and regents at 
the public schools in Georgia have also noticed same problem and 
reported to the Board of Educations.

	Now the International Office at Emory has been in consultation with 
the Emory legal consel. Dean Crawford is optimitic that the issue would 
be corrected a shortest possible time.

	CSS at Emory are following the development closely and actively getting 
involved.

	If you have experienced smaliliar problem, or if you have 
any comments or suggestions, please contact us.

	Thanks for your attention.

Wei Zhou, Ph.D.                            Zhou Hongguang
Emory University School of Medicine	   Voice: 404/727-0641
Atlanta, GA 30322			   Fax:   404/727-0372	
[email-masked]			   Email:[email-masked]	
[email-masked]