Subject: CSS Today 95023

From: [email-masked] (Yuan Wei)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 95 08:24:39 PDT

############################################################\\   \\#########
   T h e   E l e c t r o n i c    N e w s l e t t e r    o f \\   \\C S S
%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=\\ N \\=%=%=%=
          ____________       ____________       _____________  \\   \\
        /   _____     ))   /    _________))   /    __________)) \\ E \\
       /   //    )____))  {    ((________    {    ((_________    \\   \\
      {   ||     _____     \_________    ))   \__________    ))   \\ W \\
       \   \\____)    ))   __________)   ))   ___________)   ))    \\   \\
        \____________//   (_____________//   (______________//      \\   \\
                                                                     \\   \\
         ]]]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]]   ]]]]]]]  ]]]   ]]]            \\   \
            ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]]  ]]   ]]              \\
            ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]]]]]]]   ]] ]]    ==========
            ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]]    ]]]     No.  95023
            ]]]     ]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]]  ]]]   ]]]    ]]]    _1995.08.15_

%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=
CSS Today Editorial Board                          <[email-masked]>
%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=

		     I N    T H I S   I S S U E                 No. of Lines
============================================================================
Special Topic: On the 50th Anniversary of the V-J Day
    o  Japanese's Aggression or Not in WWII Is a Matter 
       of Point of View?  ................................................33
    o  Pacific War After 50 Years: The Allies Win the Battle, 
       But Lose the War   ................................................53
    o  The Lessons on Hiroshima/Nagasaki Have Not Been Taken .............66

Entering Into the Workplace ----------------
    o  Time Management: Introduce a Good Book .......................... 108

Information Sharing ------------------------
    o  Assistant Sales Manager Wanted ................................... 18

Letter To CSS Today ------------------------
    o  Comments on CSS Today 95022  ....... .............................. 7

======<<<< Special Topic: On the 50th Anniversary of the V-J Day >>>>=======
Japanese's Aggression or Not in WWII Is a Matter of Point of View? ...... 33
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ER Huan/CSS Today                                                 CSST 95023

Fifties years after the end of WWII, the Japanese Government still has
trouble to admit their heinous war crimes during the WWII. After years of
coverups of their war crimes and alterations of the WWII history/textbooks,
the Japanese government recently reveals to the world again how they regard
their invasions toward their neighboring countries, their burning, killing
and robbing in Asian countries.

In a latest remark on the anniversary of the end of the WWII, the new
Education Minister Yoshinobu Shimamura said that it was a matter of opinion
as whether Japanese War in Asia and the Pacific Region is aggressive.

"The question of whether or not (Japan waged) a war of aggression is a
matter of point of view," He said, "Aren't all wars aggressive fights?"

He further elaborated, "In an era when most people know nothing about the
war, is it really right to keep bringing up the past and apologizing in
detail?"

Japanese's treatment toward their war past has been the constant point of
focus that raises angers and concerns in its neighboring countries. And
their official opinion toward the issue as whether Japan should formally
apologize for its crimes in WWII to its neighboring country has been a
divisive issue even within the Japanese's coalition government. As such
touchy issues as comfort women, the use of human body for testing their
chemical and biological weapon and more and more hard evidence of their
crime during the WWII surface and sustain, how the Japanese treat their war
past will surely be closely watched by the world.

It is even ironic to see that when the allies are celebrating the
anniversary of the V-J day, they have never let Japanese realize what a
heinous crime they have committed during the WWII. Asian countries will
continue to feel unsafe as long as the Japanese doesn't clean their past.

======<<<< Special Topic: On the 50th Anniversary of the V-J Day >>>>=======
Pacific War After 50 Years: The Allies Win the Battle, 
But Lose the War .........................................................53
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew ZHENG                                                      CSST 95023

This month marked the fiftieth anniversary of the V-J day. Fifties years
ago, two A-bombs dropped in the sky of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Japanese
government then surrendered conditionally and the allies claimed winning the
pacific war. After fifties years, it is now clear to see that the allies
actually didn't win the war fifties years ago: they didn't defeat the the
aggressor of the Pacific War the Japanese. All that the allies got back then
was the claim of surrender by the Japanese. In fact, the allies only won the
battle over the sky of Tokyo, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, they actually lost the
Pacific War.

It has been a well known fact in the world except Japan that during the
World War II, the Japanese Imperial Army had committed the most heinous
crime in the human history of civilization. Their deeds of atrocities ranged
from the Rape of Nanking, the massacre of American POWs in Philipine and the
numerous killings and burning in East Asia. However, upon the end of World
War II, the prime criminal responsible for all those atrocities --the
Japanese Emperor was still reigning over the Japanese Society. How could a
war that was claimed to be won be the allied still keep the war criminal at
large? Thus the allies actually lost the war.

The allies lost the war because the Japanese government has never been
repentent for they had committed during the World War II. On the contrary,
they have tried all their ways to cover up their crimes. They altered the
history of the World War II. In their text books, they describe their
invasion to Asian countries as "enter". They don't want to admit their
crimes during the World War II. They say there are no such things as Rape of
Nanking happening during the World War II. As time goes on, numerous
evidences unearth, and more and more deed crimes committed by the Japanese
Army have been reported, such as the use of chemical weapons and biological
weapons by the Japanese Army, the use of human body for testing their
chemical and biological weapon. However, the Japanese government has never
positively responded to all these criminal acts they had committed. How
could a war won by the allies have never apprehended the criminals
accountable for all these acts?

In Japan, the most notorious crminals accountable for the atrocities
committed during the World War II have been regarded as "WAR HEROES". And
each year, the Japanese government officials regularily pay tribute to these
"WAR HEROES". Among them, there have been Prime Ministers, Education
Ministers, and Various high ranking government officials. This is enough to
show the allies/the United States how the Japanese think about their deeds
in the World War II. While in a society the most heinous war criminals are
regarded as "WAR HEROES", you cannot expect its people to repent for what
they have done during the war; you cannot expect them to apologize for what
they have done; and you cannot expect them to have a goodwill for peace in
Asia and the world. And more importantly, you cannot be assured that those
atrocities will not happen again.

While the allies who claimed to win the Pacific War cannot make sure the
aggressors be held accountable for their crimes and the same pacific region
be safe from the same aggressors, it clearly shows how much the allied
achieved on their road toward the V-J Day.

======<<<< Special Topic: On the 50th Anniversary of the V-J Day >>>>=======
The Lessons on Hiroshima/Nagasaki Have Not Been Taken ................... 66
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ZHANG Yu                                                          CSST 95023

Even after 50 years since the A-bomb dropped down to Hiroshima and Nagasaki,
there still strong debates over the use of A-bomb in these two cities.
However, one needs to realize that the use of A-bomb during World War II
was/is not an issue of being in humane and being cruel. War is cruel,
especially World War II; World War II is cruel, however, the war in the
Pacific is more cruel. It is not logically correct to judge the A-bomb as a
cruel act without putting it in the background of the cruel Pacific War. In
fact, from the historical background in the Pacific War, the drop of the
Abomb is the most humane thing in the whole Pacific war-it put the end of a
cruel Pacific War, it avoided more civilian being killed-Although I also
feel sorry for those women and children who died from the A-bomb. Just
imagine that without the use of A-Bomb, the Pacific would be dragged into a
long deadgrid, where 100 millions people vowed to fight till the end of all
their lives, how many more people would be killed?

While people are reflecting on the V-J day, attention has been focused on
the impact of A-bomb. However, the lesson of A-bomb has not been learned.
The issue on the use of A-bomb is not on its right or wrong, it lies in that
those inflict great atrocity on others will have to eventually pay for what
they have done, no matter how strong they are at one time. Fifties years
ago, when the Japanese Army invaded almost all the Far East Nations, they
had done the most grisly thing in the human civilization: they killed, they
burned, they raped and they bombed. Just in Nanking, they killed more than
300,000 civilian in the most rampant massacre in human history. Should they
pay for what they have done to Asia? It seemed that at that time, no one was
able to stop the imperial army from any killing. However, God is omnipotent
and always justice. A-bomb droped and the War over. If there is anobody to
be blamed for the cruelity of A-bomb, it should be the war criminals, it
should be those who had killed and raped from Pearl Harbor, to Manila and to
Nanking.

The lesson of A-bomb has not been learnt! Several months ago, the United
States Post Office was to issue a set of stamp on the A-bomb. It drew lot of
criticism from the people in Japan and later on it withdrew the stamp. It is
very strange to see that the issue of A-bomb which had saved millions of
thousands of civilian from perishing under the gun point of the Japanese
Imperial Army remained so controversial. And it is even strange to see that
for a nation which which had also suffered from its own aggression, it still
pays great tribute toward those evils who started all these atrocities and
inflicted sufferness to its own people.

For a nation who has inflicted all the destruction to its surrounding
countries and its own people, it is very dangerous to see that it never
apologize to its neighbors for its past criminal acts; For a nation whose
leaders try constantly to cover up its past criminal acts, it tells a lot
about how it treats its past history; For a nation which still worship those
war criminals who started the atrocity in Asia, do you know what is in their
mind? We only know, that in Germany, there is no this kind of worship for
Hitler.

The never repentent and still worshipping the criminals of War government of
Japan send a resounding signal to those countries who had suffered the most
destructions and massacre from the Japanese Imperial Army that it is highly
possible, when time comes, there would be another aggression toward Pearl
Harbor, Manila, Korea and Nanking; it also sends a shiver signal to its own
people: when time comes, God serves the justice and there may be another
incident like Hiroshima and Nagasaki, for which the aggressor have to pay.
To peace-loving people in Asia, it is for their sake to prevent the never
repentent Japanese government from aggression against them; for all those
peace-loving Japanese people, who want to prevent the destruction like the
Hiroshima and Nagasaki from happening again, it is for their sake to help
their government to clean the past and to learn the lesson from the incident
50 years ago. Before those lesson have been learnt, People in Asia including
Japan will continue to live under the shadow of the atrocity in World War II
and the danger of further atrocity.

===================<<<< Entering Into the Workplace >>>>====================
Time Management: Introduce a Good Book ................................. 108
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
PU Dai/CSS Today                                                  CSST 95023

Time management? Naah, only those busy money-minded business people need
such a phrase. Most of them don't even remember what their last name is.
That's why they need to be trained by time management and the like.

I bet there are people out there thinking this way. I can't say that they
are totally wrong to discredit the time management thing, since people
really do or do not need to be concerned about this subject depending on
where they are and what type of jobs they have. If you work in a small town,
if you work in a campus like institution, or if you have a small home based
business, you really don't feel you are worried about time management.

However, if you happen to be among the bunch of professionals who work in a
metropolitan area, you may have a totally different opinion. Ask those
people around in a weekend gathering: what they feel they could have more
for their career and their life. You will be surprised that many of them
will say: TIME! (Well, money is the obvious answer, but may not always be
the right answer. That's another matter which would be delt with by "Money
Management", anyway.)

Although many companies, especially hi-tech companies, are moving to the
suburban area, even rural area, metropolitan areas are still where many jobs
are. There is pretty good chance that many of us will have to go and live in
large cities. Therefore, there is good chance you'll run into a need to know
something like time management.

To make ourselves better aware of the environmental change from school to
the work place, lets look at the typical student life and career life.

Although you may work very late in the evening, as student you usually don't
get up early, especially when you are not taking courses. You get up at 9 or
10 in the morning. You go to school. The first stop will be the mail room.
Get a few mails, or some newspapers. Then you sit down in your own office or
lab. Read the materials from the mails. Talk to your office mates, sharing
some exciting news. Then you open your computer and read some emails. It's
almost noon by then. You go to the coffee room, have your lunch with your
fellow Chinese buddies. Further share news. You then start to work in the
afternoon. Think really hard about your thesis. Do a few derivations, the
think, then restart again. This continues till the end of the afternoon.
Then you go to the mail room again, in hope to get another round of mail so
that you can have some fresh materials to read and share with your fellows.
After dinner at home, you go to your office again. Your day actually does
not start until now. For a big chunk of time in the evening, you do the real
hard work and thinking. Not much chatting until you are tired. There is
also chance that your professor will stop by your office around midnight and
asks how everything is going. He may get interested in what you are doing or
may try to help you out with your problems. Then you sit quietly while he is
thinking hard deeply. Half hour later, he raises his head and realizes that
you are waiting for something. It will be the end of your day if both of you
are satisfied about your sitting quietly together long enough. You may miss
a bus or so. But, no worry. Your home is only 10 minutes walk from the
campus. Or your boss will give you a ride home.

At school, time is not a concern. Only your paper or experiment is. You can
spend time to think deep deep into the center of the universe.

The scene changes dramatically while you are working for a company. You have
to set your alarm at 6am so that you can get up early enough to avoid the
morning peak hours. You'll punch your clock a few times until you are still
unwilling to get up but feeling you have to. Then you shower your body, comb
your hair, put on your shirt, tie your tie, put on your suit and coat. Drink
a cup of juice or milk. Grab a bagel. There you go on the way. You listen to
the radio for the traffic information. You watch and curse your fellow
drivers for their too fast or too slow speed. Entering your office, you put
down your case and start to work only after you spend a few minutes to get a
cup of coffee. Your boss might have scheduled a meeting with you. Don't
worry, that'll be only a few minutes. You don't even need a chair for it.
Then you work, work. You don't need to think. Everything has been thought of
for you. You just work it out. Make things run. Get the job done. You have
to keep a To Do list and a Deadline list in front of your desk. To
constantly remind yourself. At noon, you'll go out with a few colleagues to
sit down in a restaurant for lunch. Or if you are running something for a
deadline, you'll have to skip that. Then in the afternoon, you continue all
the work. Finally, it's 5 o'clock. You are lucky if you don't have to work
overtime. You try to wrap up as fast as you can and hit the road soon.

The traffic is picking up every minute, so you have to calculate your time
by second. Tic-tac 1; tic-tat 2; tic-tat 3; Honk! Honk! You'll honk almost
subconsciously to warn the driver in front of you in the toll booth. Hurry
up, fellow! I have to pick up my kids from school before 6pm. I'll pay $5
per minute later. With that in mind, you'll become really thin in patience
when you are approaching the school and the 6pm deadline at the same time.
Being home, you cook, have dinner. Read paper for a few minutes. Supervise
your kids for their homework. You might be super ambitious that you want to
teach your kids Chinese or piano. After everything is set, it's already 9pm.
Well, shoot, you say. I have a few bills I have to pay by today. I need to
call the bank to transfer some funds. And, at last, you have emails to read.
When you finally manage to make yourself to the bed, it is already midnight.

You are tired. And you dream for another day to start. You dream you'll have
more time to deal with things that are pressing. You need time!

This article is not intended to teach you how to manage your time. It is
only written to introduce you to the need. If you are interested, you can
read books like Steph Covey's 7 Habits of Effective Business People. There
are many good books out there, and I just happen to have read this one. I
only found out later that this book is actually a very good one. Many
companies have used it as employee training material.

Actually, it is not a book on time management only. It is, to some extent, a
survival guide for people in a business environment. You'll at least get
some basical idea about how other people are dealing with time constraint
from this book. You'll also get a of good sense of the business atmosphere
and a good sense of the real life in the world. Of course through the eyes
of the author. You may find that a lot of things in the book are just common
sense. That does not devaluate it at all. Remember, it is the common sense
that we tend to overlook most of the time. And more importantly, it is the
common sense that makes our world running.

=======================<<<< Information Sharing >>>>========================
Assistant Sales Manager Wanted .......................................... 18
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
WANG Ji                                                           CSST 95023

A high-tech trading company in Plainsboro, New Jersey, is looking for a
sales assistant manager to help the daily operations of the company.

The company, Liutek Co., is importing and exporting high-tech products in
China and the US. The current business growth requires a full-time sales
assistant manager to assist in processing orders from China and the US
customers and the daily operations of the company.

No sales experiences required, but technical background is a must. Computer
experiences in word processing and other applications will be helpful. Must
be able to speak mandarin Chinese and English fluently, and business writing
skills are also required.

The company offers competitive salary for ideal person. If interested,
please fax your resume to Dr. Jeffrey Liu, Liutek Co., at 609-936-8899.

If you need further information, please call Dr. Liu at 609-936-8801.

=======================<<<< Letter To CSS Today >>>>========================
Comments on CSS Today 95022  ............................................. 7
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
XIAO Xin                                                          CSST 95023

TANG Huang's article "From IFCSS to Reality" on this issue is a good one. It
answers questions like : Do we need one united organization? Democracy is
good, but why we Chinese can not practice it? No matter if I agree the
opinion 100 %, the body is organized very well. Please give my regards to
the author.

([email-masked])

############################################################################
| Editor of This Issue: ER Huan            Deputy Coordinator: DING Yungui |
|                      Technical Editor: LIANG Guihe                       |
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -|
| CSS Today is a publication of  the CSS Today Editorial Board devoted to  |
| the CSS community for your right to know.   What CSS Today carries does  |
| not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editors.                      |
| ________________________________________________________________________ |
|                                                                          |
|  For back issues of CSS Today, please use one of following:              |
|  (1) ftp to <cnd.org>  and search in folder:  /pub/e-pubs/CSS-Today      |
|  (2) gopher to <cnd.org>:                                                |
|             English-Menu -> Other Electronic Publications  -> CSS-TODAY  |
|     (For WWW:  gopher://cnd.cnd.org:70/11/English-Menu/e-pubs/CSS-TODAY) |
|  (3) ftp to <ftp.ifcss.org>  and search in folder: /pub/org/csst/        | 
|     (For www tools, use  ftp://ftp.ifcss.org/pub/org/csst/ )             |
|  (4) http://www.ifcss.org:8001/www/ep.html                               |
|                                                                          |
|  CSS Today welcomes contributions, comments, questions, criticisms and   |
|  anything concerning a healthy establishment of the CSS community. For   |
|  question, please inquire to:                                            |
|                                                                          |
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -|
|                       <[email-masked]>                          |
############################################################################