From: "yuchi chen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 94 20:13:44 CST

Does anyone know the true difference on the purposes of I-824 and I-130?

The "Who can file?" section of I-130 says:
A citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States can file this
form to establish the relationship of certain alien relatives (later 
section indicates unmarried child and spouse for PR) who may wish to immigrate 
to the United States.

The "WHo may file" section of I-824 says:
If you filed an application or petition which has been approved, use this
form during the calidity of the approved application or petition to:
	. request a duplicate approval notice
	. request that another consulate be notified of the approval of the
	  petition
	. request that a U.S. Consulate be notified that your status has
	  been adjusted to permanent rsident, so your spouse and children 
	  can apply for immigrant visas.

It seems both are for a dependent to start applying PR.  I wonder if anyone
has any idea on their difference.

yuchi