[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Speed limit repeal moving forward!

Pena Blvd, named after the Sec. of transportation, is a limited acess
freeway.  It originally had signs put up setting the speed limit
at 65 mph.
  (It is a new road to the country's newest airport).
  When they opened the airport, they dropped the speed limit to 55 and
they patrol it with radar.  They are always out there with the radar,
and inspite of this the 85th percentile of speed on this road is 65 mph.
65 mph is perfectly safe on this extra-wide perfectly-smooth all-concrete
superhighway.
  The radar cops grab people in the top 15th percentile, and everyone
doing 65 mph is pretty safe from tickets.  Nevertheless, if the posted
limit were 65, we wouldn't have most the people disregarding the law.
As it is, we have set the speed limit so low that most people violate
it. Rediculously low speed limits only encourage disrespect for the law.

  Let's ask Frederico Pena, Secretary of Transportation, to back this
speed limit repeal, and to get behind the 85th percentile rule for
setting speed limits.  And as a start Pena can call for a change to
the posted limit on the road named after him.

Follow-Ups: References: