[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Speed limit repeal moving forward!

Janos Szamosfalvi writes:

>John Oliver (usfmcf3k@ibmmail.com) wrote:
>: Janos Szamosfalvi writes:

>: >CKB (USFMC6DB@IBMMAIL.COM) wrote:

>: >: So if that system were to be adopted in the US, you could get pulled over for
>: >: driving without insurance instead of speeding.

>: >And how can a cop know, without stopping the motorist first that s/he is
>: >driving w/o insurance?

>: >As far as I know, in most states cops must have a reason to pull
>: >someone over.     And reasons like "I just want to see your insurance
>: >is not sufficient".

>: The parts of CKB's post that you trimmed said that in Germany, insurance
>: companies won't cover accidents that occur at more than X km/h.  So, by
>: logical extension, if US insurance companies adopted that policy, if you're
>: driving at more than X, you could be viewed as being uninsured.  Your speed
>: would be the indirect reason to pull you over.

>Wait a minute, if there's no speed limit they can't stop me for
>speeding (maybe for reckless driving, but that's another story)
>if there's a speed limit they can stop me for speeding, but never
>for not having an insurence.

I'm not saying that they could pull you over for speeding.  But most (all?)
states require you to have insurance, right?  So if no insurance company will
insure you for driving faster than, say, 100 mph, then if you're going faster
than that, you could be construed to be driving without insurance!

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with this philosophy, but I think it's one
that could quite easily be adopted by the "speed kills" community....

A simple solution to this problem would be for there to be one insurance
company that would insure you for any speed.  Even if they only insured 100
people nationwide, your speed could no longer be used to assume that you were
uninsured.

John Oliver
Canton, MI

'94 Probe GT
'92 Trek 2100

All opinions expressed above are my own and in no way represent the views of
Ford Motor Co.