[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The fallacy of DRLs

Craig Baltzer (cbaltzer@nsx.com) wrote:

: sun is a real drag as well. And all those flashing signs on the edge of the
: road... Ahhhhhhh, must just make you want to scream... Maybe try driving with
: your eyes closed...

I personally think DRL's are based on a tainted study.  While a car with
its lights on [during the daytime while other cars dont have their
lights on] will stand out and reduce it's chances of getting into an
accident, once regulation goes into effect and every car has them the
result will disappear.  I think they would have done much more good if
marker lights were set to go on during daytime rather than the
headlights.  Headlights will waste far too much energy and can easily be
confused for glare in bright background light. (BTW, the energy usage
estimates are +1-2% I believe based on studies- while it doesnt seem like
much it is a REALLY big number considering how much gas is consumed every
year).

I too will probably bypass the resistor network and disable the DRL relay
on my next car.

Follow-Ups: References: