[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cruising at 100MPH

In article <43o4hv$fso@cnn.Princeton.EDU> Frank Chang <fzchang@princeton.edu> writes:
>From: Frank Chang <fzchang@princeton.edu>
>Subject: Cruising at 100MPH
>Date: 20 Sep 1995 04:15:59 GMT

>Is it okay for a car's engine if you cruise at a constant 100MPH for say
>3 hours? I'm sure they do this on the autobahn, so my guess is that it
>is okay. But the engine would be at something like 4800-5000 RPMs the
>whole time. Any comments?
___
Having spend some time in Germany, I brought the same question up to a German
friend.  He told me the most important component to have is a good oil cooler.
 The use of a synthetic  motor oil probably wouldn't hurt either.  It also
goes to reason that the more gears you have (i.e 5 or 6 speed) would be
better.  I talked to a Corvette owner to regularly cruised the autobahn at
around 100mph.  He told that in 6th gear the engine wasn't even working that
hard.

Glenn Painter (SESI)
gpainter@immcms1.redstone.army.mil