[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why it's set at 55 m.p.h...

In article <3lsiea$puj@clarknet.clark.net>,
Jonathan Hazzard <thonhazz@clark.net> wrote:
}Richard Looney (rlooney@csc.com) wrote:
}: Jonathan Hazzard (thonhazz@clark.net) wrote:
}: >>    The state and the legislature, believe it or not, actually are
}: >> concerned about highway safety.
}:                                      (snip)
}: Actually Jonathon, the speed limits were rolled back to 55 in the
}: early 1970s to conserve fuel. "Safety" is just the current spin.
}
}   That was true in 1974.  Since gasoline consumption isn't a problem
}currently, and after observing the decrease in highway fatalities, safety
}is now the major issue.  Hence, much of the resistance to 65, which we
}all do anyway.

Based on a recent trip, my car has a "plateau" in gas mileage between
about 65mph and 85mph.  I got a little over 30mpg on each tank of
regular (non reformulated) gas I took at those speeds.  When I tried
to maintain just over 90 mph, it dropped sharply to about 25mpg.  So I
don't buy the gasoline argument.  I didn't hit anything, nor even come close,
during the entire 1600+ miles, so I'm not so sure about the safety
argument either.

Follow-Ups: References: