[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cops: Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them

In article <JamieYanak-2104952241360001@database-mac.oai.org>,
Jamie Yanak <JamieYanak@oai.org> wrote:
>In article <3n0r89$agb@news3.digex.net>, bentley@access1.digex.net (Mark
>Bentley) wrote:
>
>> Lest anyone thing speed traps are anything but revenue generators,
>> consider the use of unmarked cars by police.  If I'm in a cruisers,
>> sitting on the side of the road in broad daylight, just about everybody
>> going past is going to slow down toor near the limit.  Thus, dozens of
>> cars per minute will be suddenly obeying the law.
>>
>> If I'm hidden behind a bush in an unmarked Taurus, I will nail one driver
>> every ten minutes or so, and create a roadside hazard in the process.
>
>I agree, that's not playing fair.

Not only is it not playing fair, it's unsafe.

>When I was a deputy, it was against State Law to use unmarked vehicles
>for "traffic enforcement." Vehicle had to have letters at least 6" high,
>prominently displayed and a *permanently* attached beacon.
>
>It was also our department policy to have headlights on at all times, day
>or night, when stopped on the highway for running radar.

I think your department is in the minority.  With few exceptions most of all
the cops who are working radar, that I've seen, are trying to hide as much
as possible.  I don't think they have figured out that a visible car is
a deterent.  From a safety standpoint it is better to deter than to punish
after the fact.

>(we were very sporting, huh!)

Yes, that was very sporting, but you still had the upper hand.

>Visibility was our objective in regards to traffic enforcement at that time.

That's the way it should be.

>But you know, I really don't think it contributed to any declines in the
>number of tickets you would write, when you followed these policies. Some
>people
>are just that clueless.

Sad, but true.  These are the same clueless folks who sit in the left lane
doing 55 bolocing traffic.  I saw one of the clueless yesterday on my
drive home yesterday.  I'm cruising along in the left lane, at a decent clip,
when a cop pulls out of a turnaround on my right.  He just jumps out without
stopping or slowing down much.  I immediately get off the gas and brake,
releasing the brake when I know he can see my brake lights.  He proceeds to
get up to speed and approaches two cars in front of me from their blind
spot.  He then sits there for a moment.  The car in the left lane sees him,
after about a minute, and then slows down and pulls into the center lane.
The other car just keeps going about 10 over the limit.  The cop sits in the
blindspot and waits, and waits.  About 3 minutes later he cuts off the first
car that slowed down and pulls in behind the person not apying attention
and pulls them over.  Clueless people should not be drving!

Alex     __O    '86 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo
       _-\<,_   '87 Alfa Romeo Milano
      (_)/ (_)  '88 Vitus/Dura-Ace