[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Driving Pet Peeves

On Tue, 20 Jun 1995, Techs Avery wrote:

> Dai F Toyama (borap@paul.spu.edu) wrote:
>
> : Charles B. Musgrave writes:
>
> : > Dai F Toyama wrote:
> : > >
> : > >Agreed.  This is one of the few things that I like about Japan.
> : > >There, cyclists have to go on the pavement (aka 'sidewalk').
> : >
> : > Good thinking...so the cyclists can run over the pedestrians? Just
> : > learn to drive and the cyclists won't be such a problem to you...
> : > "you driving maniac".
>
> : I can say the exact same thing to the cyclers.  'So you wanna ride on
> : the carriageway?  Good thinking... so the drivers can run over you?
> : just learn to cycle and the pedestrians won't be such a problem to
> : you.' :-)
>
> In almost ever state in the US, it is ILLEGAL for bicyclists, even
> juveniles, to ride on the sidewalk. And the ticket goes on your DMV
> record and is counted by insurance companies. If your bicycle is on the
> sidewalk, you are supposed to walk it.
>
> Go figure.
>
> Techs Avery

I suggest that you read my original statement above.  That's why I like
it better in Japan in this respect --- the cyclists MUST ride on the
'sidewalk' there, where there is one.  I'm not saying which method is
better; it's just that I'd much prefer the Japanese way in this sense.

Do you have any idea as to why it's illegal for the cyclists to ride on
the 'sidewalk' in most US states?  I'd like to know the reason behind it.

 |)=+||       _/|   | Dai F Toyama          << borap@paul.spu.edu >>     |
 |==+||__-~~~~_/    | Computer Science  << Seattle Pacific University >> |
 +-\\||__-~~~~ ||   | Driving Maniac      << '92 Acura Integra GS-R >>   |
                               \ ASCII piano by Keith Wright /

Follow-Ups: References: