[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Repeal of the National Speed Limit Law

Chris Glasser <Chris.Glasser@ColumbiaSC.ATTGIS.COM> writes:

>And common sense also says that the faster you're driving, the less time you
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>have to react to unexpected situations. If you're driving an interstate at
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>night, your headlights can only cover a certain amount of ground in front of
>you. If you're going 75 in a 55, by the time your headlights hit some
>unexpected debris on the road you will not have any chance of avoiding that
>debris.

>whole group of people and by making what I consider rediculous statements like
>driving 10,20, and 30 MPH over posted speed limits is perfectly safe.

It appears that the National Highway Administration studies contradict
your "common sense".  Changing the speed limit up or down on any particular
highway does not substantially change the speed that people drive that
highway.  Nor does it effect accident rates.

  People drive the speed they consider safe for the road and weather conditions
An artificially low speed limit just makes lawbreakers out of otherwise
law abiding citizens.  Interstates around here were designed for 80 mph speeds
and people drive from Denver to Kansas at 80 mph inspite of the speed limit.
If the road conditions are bad, they slow down, If they have piss poor
headlights  they slow down.  Most people find a safe speed, do not overdrive
their headlights, nor the road conditions.  And on the interstate that
safe speed is higher than the Federal law permits.

  We ought to have a law that no speed limit can be set lower than the
80th percentile of prevailing traffic.  Lower than that is just artificial
revenue enhancement.