[Index][Thread]

Reversing into perpendicular parking spaces

Unless I anticipate needing access to the boot with a large item, I always
back into spaces; my car is fairly large by British standards. I couldn't
count the number of times someone in a little Japanese / British / French
bean-tin-mobile has been in front of me in a car park, failed at the
second or third attempt to drive forwards into an awkward space, driven on
and watched amazed as I swing my lard bus into it backwards without effort.

Though perpendicular parking is not taught in British driving tuition, a
preference for going in backwards is implied by the rule that when you
turn using a minor side road you should always reverse into it and drive
forwards back onto the main road.

Apart from this safety aspect, anyone who thinks that driving into a space
forwards is "better" has never seen a forklift truck.

Dave
--
David Crooke, Department of Computer Science, University of Edinburgh
Janet dcc@ed.dcs  :  Internet dcc@dcs.ed.ac.uk  :  IP talk dcc@129.215.160.29