[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Freeway: Lane change vs. merging from onramp

Steven Blackwelder <SBLACKWELDER@FIRSTBYTE.DAVD.COM> wrote:

>Suppose:
>The rightmost lane on the freeway has reasonable space for one car.
>At that place, an onramp approaches its end.
>One driver is merging his/her car from the onramp.
>Another driver is in the next-to-rightmost lane and wants to move his/her
>car to the righmost lane.
>There isn't space for both of them there at that moment.

>Who has the right of way in this situation?

This question was asked in a Traffic School class I had the
opportuntiy to attend :-) :-)
The basic answer is: "BOTH people".
Many accidents are resolved to a situation where
"Both parties are at partial fault".

Quite a revelation RE: pushing "your" right-of-way.
There is no black and white - only gray... :-)

Regards,

JohnR

---
jrobison@ix.netcom.com (reliable - checked every day or two)