[Next][Index][Thread]

Speed limits v actual spd

MT> I TOTALLY reject any study as flawed and self-interested that
  > asserts that people will not speed  with higher speed limits in
  > place.  They do...they will.  I teach 300 people a week who
  > confirm this.

   Mr. Traffic:

   I felt the same way as you, though my instructors and texts said
   otherwise.  In fact, I believed what you do, until I performed
   before-after studies myself.  Actual speeds do not change
   significantly when the speed limit is increased or decreased.

   What I said was *actual speeds* do not change.  I'm not talking
   about driver's estimates of speeds, or opinions, or logical
   arguments.  Actual speeds.

   Since you don't believe it, and I doubt anyone can convince you, I
   suggest you get a radar gun and do your own study when a speed
   limit is going to be changed near you.  I'll bet you get similar
   results to that of every study which has been done on the subject,
   from national to local.

   Flawed?  Self-interested?  Show us your un-flawed, non-self-
   interested study.  Chats with students during your classes don't
   count.  And BTW, the NMA didn't commission the study, the Federal
   Highway Administration did.

   Also BTW, what facts do you get from those 300 people a week?  Do
   they give you speed monitor printouts from their vehicles before
   and after speed limit changes?  Or do they SAY they change their
   speed?

-- Jim
   jim.poston@megasystem.com

   P.S.  Yes, I'm a member of the National Motorists Association, so
   you may call me self-interested if you wish.  OTOH, I'm also a
   professional traffic engineer, and member and office-holder of the
   Institute of Transportation Engineers, so maybe they offset ...

---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ         I wish life had a scroll-back buffer.....

Internet: jim.poston@megasystem.com (Jim Poston)
This message was processed by NetXpress from Merlin Systems Inc.