[Prev][Index][Thread]

Re: Why do you need to pass that person?

In article <3vf7tp$onn@nntp.atlanta.com>,  <dwarner@atlanta.com> wrote:
>On 27 Jul 1995, Jim Fiocca wrote:
>>
>> 1) You're coming up to the last stop light prior to your needing to turn
>> right.  The light turns red, there is one person in front of you who has
>> been going a reasonable 5 mph over the limit.  You notice that the left
>> lane is clear, so you cut over - knowing full well that when the light
>> turns green, you intend to try to pass that person in the right lane,
>> cut over, hit your brakes, and make your right turn.
>>  - ????? Why ????? -
>
>Most times, I don't.  Sometimes, I'll do it if I can make the turn without
>cutting off or slowing the other car, especially if it looks like one that will
>do a slow crawl through the same right turn when I would run it comfortably
>10 mph faster..
>

>> 2) It's rush hour.  Everyone is going about the same reasonable speed of
>> about 5 mph over the limit, so the excuse "they're driving too slow" is
>> not applicable.  You're approaching a red light on a two-lane road that
>> you know is about to merge into one lane shortly after the light (right
>> lane ends).  1, 2, or maybe 3 cars are already stopped in the left lane
>> and the right lane is clear.  Why do you pull up in the right lane
>> intending to pass and get in front of those 1, 2, 3, or more cars that

Why not?  If it does not slow you down, who cares?  I often wonder about
people who try so hard to get ahead during rush hour traffic, but if it
suits them, fine.  It does not bother me - and I even do it occasionally
- I do not like being stuck behind slow drivers.  Simple.  Sure, maybe I
cannot go "fast" but if the person in front of me has that "I am going
faast enough"  attitude, I get disturbed, so I figure it is easier to
simply take the open space, get in front, and go with clear roads ahead.

Mannix