[Prev][Index][Thread]

Re: Unmarked police cars a no-no in Ohio.

Lord Kittenslayer <nbassett@hmc.edu> wrote:

>I thought the 55 was a result of politics, rather than the true will of
>the American people. I never believed it was a good idea, and don't know
>anyone who has. Of course, a lot of the people I talk to weren't even
>alive in 1973, much less of voting age. It's really a leftover burden
>from a past generation - I'm glad to see it getting killed.
>

>lk

55 was the result of politics, (Nixon originally wanted 50) but it was
only intended to be a temporary speed limit, temporary until the gas
crisis passed.  It became permanent in '74, one year after it was
enacted.  Of course, in '75 or so the gas crisis vanished.  People's
respect for that law has been on a downward trend ever since.

We'll do something if we see a need for it, but when that need is no
longer there, we go back to the way we were.  Take a look at the home
front during WW2.  It was -advised- that you travel 35 mph to save
rubber, gas, oil, etc., all used in the war effort.  Save your aluminum,
your steel, your whatever.  When September 3rd, 1945 rolled around, I bet
a lot of people started throwing it all out.
--
National Motorists Association      	Join the NMA!
nma@genie.geis.com                  	$29 a year.