[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sliding on ice

mgeitner@execpc.com (michael w. geitner) wrote:
>rey@mindspring.com (Dick Yuknavech) wrote:
>

>>Anecdote: in northern Illinois a couple of decades ago, a 4-way stop had
>>the work-bound traffic backed up for quite a distance in one of the four
>>directions (mine, unfortunately). What had happened was that earlier
>>traffic apparently polished the ice by doing some wheel-spinning as they
>>started up. By this time, it was really gruesome. As I got up to the bad
>>spot, just for the heck of it I stepped out to see just how bad it was.
>>Well, gang, I couldn't even STAND on the crud. As I grabbed the car roof
>>I actually pushed the car, a full-size Ford sedan, an inch or so
>>sideways !
>(snip)
>
>Don't I know how that is.  On an overpass interchange in Milwaukee an
>earlier light rain had turned to ice.  I saw the brake lights.   I
>slowed to 5 mph.  Then I hit the ice.   Everyone was doing this slow
>motion automobile ballet gently bumping into one another.  I was
>driving a Dodge Ramcharger 4wd and since the brakes did nothing I
>slapped it into 4wd then eased it into reverse.  Trying the
>accelerator I found that my plan of evasion was for naught.  So, I sat
>back and became a spectator as my truck careened at 2 mph into another
>car.  Alas, there was no damage inflicted by the out of control
>behemoth, but when I got out of it, I slipped to alight upon my ass in
>such a fashion to cause a very sore tailbone.
>
>Studded tires would have made the difference, but we can't use them in
>Wisconsin.

He, he!

I was stuck going up the Shiskayou pass on THE very nasty storm of '82.
Chains were required just south of Medford OR. on the I-5.  ( I was
driving to sunny CA :-(...

Almost on top of the pass, a big rig had jacknifed, so all traffic went
up the pass at a snail's pace in a single file.  (I learned to really
drive a stick shift that day.)

Some where near the top, the line wasn't moving, and nature was calling me
rather urgently, what will all that clutch-in clutch-out action.  So, since
I could see a long ways up the hill, I decided to heed nature and stepped
out of the car.

I was wearing good boots and all, with Vibram soles and all.  Yet, one step
and I was on my ass.....and sliding away from the car.  Jeez, I wonder
what the coefficient of traction of Levi's 501s is?

Needless to say, I got back on the car (I sort of crawled back since the
road was all ice and gravel) and held it 'till I hit the sunny state.
My first contribution of the year to our august state ;-P

tony
Next day I blew one of the chains at 25mph... it darn near hit the
gas tank on my '70 Vega GT.