[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solve speeding by limiting cars!

In <3pu04u$1f2@ludes.com>, marks@ludes.com (Mark Spencer) writes:
>**** SNIP *************. There is no legitimate reason to exceed the
>maximum speed limit, and there is no reason that cars should be able to do
>it. Limiting cars does not infringe on any of your rights, and does not

I can think of at least one case where limiters would endanger one's life.
Trying to drive someone to the hospital before they die, either in the car
of a friend or relative, or in an ambulance that can't get by a pack of 65-limited
cars that can't speed up to get out of the way.

Or, someone is following me, with obvious intent to do me harm or steal my car,
I'd like to have the ability to lose the vermin with my vehicle's superior speed..
I suppose, without that option, I could always carry a suitable automatic weapon...

Besides, the 55/65 limit has no realistic basis..  55 was a temporary law
designed to make the public think the politicians were doing something about
a phony fuel crisis, and the insurance industry bribed the politicians to keep
it on the books to protect the bonanaza of ticket surcharge income it generated.

Besides, If my car had a speed governor, I'd just disable it, as most everyone
else would.