You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Oct 1995

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00010 Oct 1995

Dear fellow Members of the Prapatti group:

Acharya Vedantha Desika's birthday, same as that of Thirupathi
Perumal(Purattasi Sravanam) falls this year on Thursday, Oct 4. I usually
prepare a small or large monograph each year on Swami Desikan"s birthday. This
Year , I have translated the Sudarsanaashtakam at the request of a devotee of
Sri Ranganatha Swami Sannadhi at Pomona , NY. This poem in melodious and
lilting
Sanskrit is a pleasure to recite and listen to.

Traditionally, this stotram is recited in homes, when some one has fever or
illness of other kinds. Swami Desikan is said to have composed it to help the
residents of Thiruputtkuzhi, when they suffered from the grip of a epidemic
fever.
Alternatively, It is said that he composed it at Thiruvahindrapuram prior to a
major debate with a leader of anothe rSampradhaya.Swami Desikan won that
debate and thereby established the supermacy of Sriman narayana and
Vishishtaadvaitam.

Swami Desikan chose the Dhrithas Chandas as a meter for the 8 verses praising
Sudarsana. He chose the Oupachandasikam meter for the Pala Sruti sloka . Both
these meters hint at the the Vedic roigin of Sudarsana as indicated by Swami
Desikan in one or more verses of this Stotram.

I will post the translations in two sections in future postings.

V.Sadagopan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
oppiliappan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com