You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - May 1998

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00113 May 1998

May 1998 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Sriman Susarla : I can understand the difficulties
in following many of the postings containing special
Sanskrit and Tamil words , which lot of us use in our
postings . Here are some explanations .
When one uses VaishNava ParibhAshai ( Colloqualisms ) ,
it gets even more complicated .

V.Sadagopan

At 06:28 PM 5/14/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hare Krishna. Below are more words for which I would appreciate English
>translations. Thanks in advance,
>
>-- K
>

>naadham= A sound in general ; pleasant ( musical ) sound
for the NaadhOpAsakAs ; Association : Naadha Brahmam ,
naadha SiddhAntham ( worship of the Supreme thru
Sankeerthanam .

>sanchAram=Moving from one place to another
>
>PaadhukhE as in Ranganaatha PaadhukhE= the divine sandals
of Lord RanganAthA ; the ones wiht a toe hold .

>ThiruviNNagar= the celestial city of the Lord , Sri Vaikuntam .
Sri Rengarajan has given a deeper description of my native place .

>antharyaami=in-dwelling
>
>vibhUtis=splendour , superhuman power , riches
( typically the Lord's auspicous qualities ) . Nithya Vibhuthis
refere to the riches of Sri Vaikuntamthat are eternal )

>sarvAdhipathya= supermacy and Lordhip ober all
>
>kaimkaryam=literally service ; in the context of
the Lord is the loving service to the LOrd and His
BhagavathAs .

>praNaya rOsham= anger of one lover over the other's
let down . RadhA's anger at her Lord over dalliance
with other gopis .

>Bhgawadh Vishayam= refers to matters related to
Bhagavan in general and the 4,000 Tamil Verses
of the 12 God-Intoxicated AzhwArs in particular
describing their mystical experience in search
of Sriman NaarAyaNa and finding Him .

>"ammaanaik kaay"= the dried seeds used in a game played
by young girls

>NambhI= Sri Rengarajan has given a detailed
intrepretationof a word with enormous deopths of meaning .

>sowseelyam=Excellence of disposition , Upright
moral character ; MOST VIRTUOUS .

>nAyikA bhAvam= The role of the Mistress oe wife or
the heroine of poetic composition of the AzhwArs
when they convert themselves in their minds as
the prototypical woman in search of thier Lord
and express in anguish their suffering at separation
from their Naayakan ( Lord ) or express their joy
in union with Him as thier Naayakan . NammAzhwAr
and Thrumangai Azhwar created moving paasurams,
when they assumed the role ofthe Lord's mistress .

>ThiruvaNvaNdoor= the name of one of the 108 Divya Desams
sung by NammAzgwAr in today's KeraLaa .

V.Sadagopan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia