You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Apr 2002

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00004 Apr 2002

Apr 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrimatE Raamaanujaaya Namaha //
SrimatE Nigamaanta Mahaa Desikaaya Namaha //
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anubadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya/
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anubadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya//
KAvEri VardhathAm kAlE, kAlE varshathu vAsava: /
SrI RanganAthO jayathu Sri Ranga Sri cha VardhathAm//
SRI RANGA SRI VOL 03 / ISSUE 24 dated 4th April 2002
EDITORIAL:
Dear Bhagavatas:
IN THIS ISSUE:
We continue the 3rd Parts of the following Series. Their first 2 Parts
appeared in Vol.3 / Issue 22 dated 20th March 2002. and in Vol.3 / Issue 23 dated 26th march 2002.
1. ?RAMAPIRANAI KARPOM? EXCERPTS FROM BOOK BY H.H. SRIMAD ANDAVAN OF
POUNDARIKAPURAM SWAMI ASHRAMAM ??
Part 3: (Translation in English - Anbil Ramaswamy)
Copies can be had from anyone of the following: -
- Sri Nrisimhapriya office, Mylapore, Chennai 600 004 (Phone:4611540)
- Dr. S. Parthasarathy Desika sadanam, 24, 28th Cross, Besabtnagar, Chennai 600 090 (Phone: 490 0327)
- Sri N.K.Ramaswamy 213 East Uttara Street, Srirangam 620 006
(Phone: 434 438)
- Sri D. Rajagopalan, D-B/109A, DDA Flats, Harinagar, New Delhi 110 064
(Phone: 5492877)
- Dr. N. Anantha Narasimhachariar, 33 Sameerapuram 2nd cross, Chamarajpet,Bangalore 560 018 (Phone: 6511056)
- Dr. N. Gopalachari, Sri Krishna Sabha Plot 264, J.S.Yagnik Marg, Sion
East, Mumbai 400 002 (Phone: 4094 495 / 4095 582)
- Sri N.S. Parthasarathy, 1 Raghavaiah Road, T.Nagar, Chennai 600 017
(Phone: 8280949).
---------------------------------------------------------------------- -
In the previous Issues # 22 and 23, we presented the following questions raised and answered by H.H.
1. What is so great about Srimad Ramayanam that we are asked to learn it?
2. Srimad RamayaNa is greater than Sri Rama Himself is. Do you know why?
3. What is the Avatara Rahasyam of Rama Avatara?
4. Rama Naama is greater than Rama Himself. How?
5. Rama Naama is equal to Sahasra Naama. How?
6. How Srimad RamayaNa is a practical manual on devotional worship (Bhakti Kaavyam)?
In this Issue, we present the following questions and their answers by H.H.
7. How do Itihaasas differ from Vedas and PuraaNas?
8. 3 = 1000. How? An explanation from Leelavati GaNitam.
9. What can be read and when?
10. What is so special about Srimad Valmiki Ramayanam vis-à-vis other
Ramayanams?
2. DESIKAMRUTHAM ?
SWAMI DESIKA?S ?SRIMAD RAHASYA TRAYA SAARAM? ? Part 3:
The Peerless Preceptor ? 3 (Contd.)
Sri Sadagopan Iyengar Swami
--------------------------------------
3. . DESIKAMRUTHAM ?
SWAMI DESIKA?S SIMILES ?UPAMA? Part 3
(Anbil Ramaswamy)
--------------------------------------
4. QUESTION BOX ANSWERS:
Sometime ago, we presented the following Questions received in our Question Box and invited responses from the readers: 1. When, how and why did the distinction between ?Iyers? and ?Iyengars? come into vogue? 2. What is the basis for the concept and the calculation for observing Rahu kaalam, Yama khanDam, GuLigai Kaalam etc? 3. Why do we hear about the importance of Sudarsanam (Lord?s disc) more than Sangu (Conch) (e.g.) SudarsanaashTakam, Sudarsana Homam etc.?
4. Are there any Stotras on ?Sangu? like we find on ?Chakram??
5. What is the significance of Sudarsana and Nrisimha appearing back to
back?
6. Why is it that when ?Theertham? (holy water) is distributed in temples, it is given thrice to some and only once for others? 7. Why SaTaari is placed in temples on the head and shoulders to some and only on the head for others? 8. If the word ?Sri? refers to Mahaalakshmi, how come males are addressed as "Sri____(so and so)?
9. Is there any PramaaNam for people getting tonsure, doing Anga
PradakshiNam and in some cases, piercing their cheeks etc.?
10. It is said that the sins of parents affect their innocent progeny (e.g.)Birth defects. Is it not true that the karma of the jeevas of such progeny (may be, in their earlier births) that is responsible for their present plight?
We give below the Answers by Sri Oppiliappan kovil V. Sadagopan Swami.
We expect a few more responses and will publish them as and when received.

We strongly urge you to kindly peruse the "Regular Issues" archived in the ?Files? Section and view the Contents at ?srsindex.html? (Not the individual postings allowed to encourage "Reader participation").
We are sure that you will be convinced of the quality of the contents.

IF you are satisfied with the quality and contents of ?Sri Ranga Sri?:
Tell your friends to join by sending an email to ?
"SriRangaSri-Subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
IF not:
Tell us, as to how we may improve.
Dasoham