You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Apr 2002

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00007 Apr 2002

Apr 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

Dear BhakthAs:

A flood of memory indundates me as I hear this
query.

Srimans Rengarajan , Pattangi ,Venkatesan and Sudarsan
have already responded . As a servant of Lord RanganAthA
at His abode here in North America at Pomona , NY ,
it is my pleasure to use this occasion to sing the glories of
"Rangan alias Arangan ".

In Swamy Desikan's Sri PaadhukA sahasram(RPS) ,
one experiences the nuances of the references to Rangam
and the KshEthra NaaTan of Rangam/SrI Rangam. In the first
slOkam of RPS , Swamy Desikan addresses the Lord of Rangam
as Ranga PruTvIsan ( Lord of the earth/space of Rangam ).
It is as fundamental as that . The general belief is that
the power of all the dhivya dEsa Emperumans arrive and reside
after ardha Jaamam worship at Rangam and then return for
their individual worships at their own temples at dawn.
Such is the power of Rangam for us !

Some other PaadhukA Sahasra Naamams for Lord of Rangam
"Rangan -Arangan " in the first 100 slOkams of RPS are:

1. Rangapathi ( RPS: 5), 2. Ranga Kshithi RamaNan ( RPS:10)
3. RangAdhIsan (RPS:13); 4. Ranga DhurINan ( RPS: 16)
5. RanganATa: (RPS: 19); 6.RangEsan (RPS: 35 ,65,87 )
7. Ranga-kshONi-bhruth (RPS:37,59);
8. Ranga Bharthu (RPS: 49, 52, 58, 64,69,72 )
9. Ranga Kshithi Pathi ( RPS:63) ;
10.Ranga NarEndran (RPS:72); 11.RangAdhipathi( RPS:91)

Ranga Bharthu: is the ThirunAmam of choice here.
He is our Lord. All Jeevans are wedded to Him
in our tradition . Our AchAryAs offer our hand in
marriage to Him during the sacred rite of SaranAgathy.
He is our BharthA (Husband).He is at Rangam/Arangam .
Rangam is the Naataka MEdai in Sanskrit and Arangam is
the Tamil word for the same stage , where the chess match
is being played betweeen RanganAyaki and RanganAthan :

PasyanthIshU sruthishu paritha: sooriBhrundhEna saardham
madhyE kruthya ThriguNa Phalakam nirmitha sTAna bhEdham
visvAdhIsa praNayini adha vibrama dhyUtha vrutthou
BrahmEsAdhyA dhadhathi YuvayOraksha-saara-prachAram

--SrI Sthurthi SlOkam

(meaning): Oh RanganAyaki! You and Your Lord are playing
the chess (ChathuRANGAM) game for amusement . The ChathuRANGAM
board is Moola Prakruthi. The color of the squares there
for movement of the Pawns et al are white, red and black
( Sathva-RajO-TamO GuNams). Both of You roll the dice
at Rangam and move the pawns and enjoy the play /dance of
those bound by their karmAs from Brahma downward.
The Nithyars and Muktha Jeevans enjoy watching
this game at SrIRangam.

ELEVEN of the Twelve AzhwArs enjoyed watching this game
and saluted the Lord of Rangam , Rangan/Arangan with
choice words in their 247 Paasurams celebrating Him .
They refer to Him as Tennarangan or the Rangan of
South . The Rangan of North is ofcourse ThiruppARkadal
NaaTan /KshIrAbdhi NaaTan , who recieved 51 paasurams from
TEN AzhwArs. There at the Milky ocean , He rests under
AshtAnga VimAnam in His vyUhA State with His Devi:
Kadal MakaL NaacchiyAr . At His Tennarangam , He is
actively engaged in His play as ArchA Moorthy. Let us
enjoy a few naamams form the AzhwAr AruLiccheyalkaL
on Rangan/Arangan :

1.PeriyAzhwAr in PoocchUttal Paasurams:
**************************************
ThiruvudayAL MaNavALA ! ThiruvarangatthE kidanthAi
-- PeriyAzhwAr Thirumozhi: 2.7.2

AamAraRiyum PirAnE! aNiarangatthE Kidanthi !
--PeriyAzhwAr Thirumozhi: 2.7.8

2.ANDAL in NaacchiyAr Thirumozhi:11th decad

No other "AzhwAr" could addresss the Lord endearingly
as His Divine Consort , SrI ANDAL:

" Theemuhatthu naahaNai mEl sErum THIUVARANGAR"

" yennARANGATTHINNAMUDHAR " ( Yenn-Arangatthin-innAMUDHAR) .

" senkOludaya Thiruvarangac-chelvanAr"

" macchaNimAda MathiLarangar "

" nallArkaL Vaazhum NaLiRARANGA NaahaNayiAn"

" TiNNAr MathiL Soozh Thiruvarangac-ChelvanAr"

" tEsudaya dEvar Thiruvarangac-ChelvanAr"

" avaLaik-Kaipidittha PeNNALan pENumoor pErum ArangamE"

( The reference is to KrishNAvathAram here and
the vivAham between RukmiNi and the Lord , who
abducted Her at Her request in front of all kings
and her family . A Raakshasa VivAham followed
and the Vaishika VivAham was carried out at DhwArakai.
These words can equally refer to ANDAL . The Lord took
Her hands in Vaidhika VivAham ( kaitthalam PaRRinAn /
AvaLaik-Kaipiditthan )and became Her Lord .ANDAL states
here that place,where the Lord wedded Her is
SrIrangam /Arangam).

3.KulasEkarar's PerumAL Thirumozhi
***********************************
" Thiruvarangap-perunahar" ,
" Kadiyarangam , aNiyarangam ,MathiLarangam ,
kaLimalar Pozhil Arangam , Ponni aNi Arangam ,
Tennarangan , EmpirAn Yennarangan ,
TiNNa MaamathiL Tennarangan "

"Aadip-Paadi ArangavO yenRazhaikkum "
(Here He celebrates the BhakthAs shouting
eith Joy the name of Rangan (RangavO)
and the redeeming dust from their scared feet:
ThoNDaradippodi).

" IyyanE ArangA-venrazhaikkinREn "
"ANDaVANan Arangan , Aadhi-Aayanarangan"
"Aranga nahar EmpirAn , AtthanE AranganE "

4.1:Thirumazhisai: Thirucchandha Viruttham

" vaNdiraittha sOlaivEli mannu seerARANGAME "

"ARANGAM yenbar Naanmuhatthayan paNintha kOilE "

(here , AzhwAr connects the name of Arangam to
the temple itself at SrIrangam , where the divine drama
takes place).

" Ponni soozh ArangamEya PuNDarIkan "

"virumbi ninRirainjavERkku IRANGARANGA-VAANANE "

(The Lord of Rangam out of His compassion/irakkam
listens to the prayers of His BhakthAs and blesses them).

"Ponni Soozh ArangamEya , Poovai VaNNa Maaya kEL"

4.2:Thirumazhisai: Naanmukan ThiruvandhAthi
"Paalil kidanthathuvum , PaNDarangam mEyadhuvum "
(Here Vada Arangan and Tennarangan are jointly
addressed ).

"AvanennayALiarnagatthu ,ARANGIL
Avan yennai yeythAmal Kaapaan "
--30th paasuram

(AzhwAr has MahA VisvAsam in RanganAthan
and states that Lord of Rangam will not
throw him at the sharp edge of the spear
of SamsAram to suffer ).

"NaahatthaNai Arangam "

" AaL Paartthu uzhi taruvAIkaNDuloLLenrum Ninn
thAL paartthu uzhu tarvEn tanmayai--
kEtpArrkku arum poruLAi ninRa AranganE
Unnai virumpuvathE viLLEn Manam
--Naanmukhan ThiruvandhAthi : 60th Paasuram

( Oh Lord of Rangam , RangA , RanganAthA!
You are always searching for those, who would become
Your daasa bhUthans.You search far and wide for them.
Oh Ranga VihArA! You stay as the most noble meaning
for those , who seek You thru pramANams.You must
accept me and understand my status, which is wandering
all over in search of Your sacred feet.My mind does
not seek anything else as the Target to be attained
(PrApyam ,adaya vENDuvathu) .Oh Lord ! You perform different
kinds of enjoyable dance at Your RangasthAnam.The vEshams
( attires and the moods of Yours as the Divine actor)
of Yours at Ranga Sthalam in this Prakruthi maNDalam
are many.Those reveal the deep meanings (arum poruL)
of Your many splendored dances at Ranga KshEthram .
I will not let You go ever).

5.1:ThirumAlai of ThoNDaradippodi (all the 45 Paasurams)
All of these Paasurams are about Rangan . Here are
some excerpts:

"ArangamA-naharuLAnE , Namm Arangan "

"KaattinAn Thiruvarangam Uybavarkku Uyyum VaNNam "
-- ThirumAlai: 10th Paasuram (The recent write up of
Sri Sampath Rengarajan about Kaarthikai DhIpam
held by Utthama Nambi at the Lord's sannidhi
for the benfit of Thirumangai to show the way
for Moksham is pertinent here ).

" namm SEvahanAr maruviya Periya Koil MathiL Thiruvarangam "

" ANDar kOn amarum sOlai aNi Thiruvarangam "

" IyappAdu aRutthut-thOnRum Azhahanoor Arangam yenRE"

"Tann Paal aadharam peruha Vaittha azhahanUr Arangam anRE "
( The Azhagiya maNavALan grows further and further
the attachment to Him at Aranagam ).

"Arangamaa Koil KoNDa karumbinai kaNDu koNDEn "

"Paayu-neer Arangam tannuL " ( In the theater with
the Cauveri River flowing around ), " Pongu neer paranthu
paayum Poompozhil Arangam TannuL"

"Arangaarkku aatcheyyAthE aNiyatthEn ayakkinREnE "

" aaruLar KaLikaNN AmmA ArangamA NaharuLAnE "

5.2: ThirupaLLiyezucchi
************************
ThoNDaradippodi with the basket of TuLasi
Maalai hanging from his shoulders appears
at the sannadhi of the Lord and addresses Him
endearingly as "ArangamA-naharuLAnE " and
requests Him to wake up from His yOga NidhrA
and to bless all those assembled in front of
His Sannidhi at that early hour of the morning.

(To Be continued )

Ranga, Ranga , Ranga !
Oppilaippan Koil VaradAchAri SaThakOpan/V.Sadagopan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
oppiliappan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list