You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Apr 2002

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00026 Apr 2002

Apr 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear SrI Ramakrishnan:I am delighted to know that your group
at Kuwait will be celebrating the MahOthsavam for Lord Raamachandran
tomorrow.

I am happy to respond to your request inspite of the short turn around time
and hope you will recieve them in good time to make use of them .
It is very important to know the meaning fo the krithis of
the Saint to appreciate his Hrudhaya BhAvam as he composed
and presented these songs extempore.

best wishes,

V. Sadagopan

P.S: The information that you requested follows your note below.

At 04:28 PM 4/24/02 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear Sri.Maniji,
>
>Tomorrow we are celebrating Sri.Rama Navami in Kuwait and on that occasion
>followin Thyagaraja Kritis will be sung. I would like to know the meaning of
>these kritis so that we can appreciate them better. I wonder if
>Sri.Sadagopan or anyone else from Bhakthi Group can enlighten me on these
>kitis, most preferably by tomorrow:
>
>Rama Nannu Brovara     Harikambhoji ragam
>Teliya ledu    Dhenuka ragam
>Needu charanamule      Simhendramadhyamam
>Durmargacha    Ranjani ragam
>Ra ra ma inti  Asaveri ragam
>Inta kann      Bilahari ragam
>Rammu  Atana ragam
>Bantureethi    Hamsanaadam
>Niravati Ravichandrika
>
>Sorry for approaching you too late=I tried searching Bhakthi List
>archives=There are 200 plus articles & it is impossible to search by
>tomorrow.Pl help, if you can, atleast with meanings/bhava/under which
>circumstances he sang them etc of these kritis.
>
>BRgds=G.K.Ramakrishnan/Kuwait/24.4.02

Krithi 1: Raama Nannu BhrOvara: This is one of the songs
that I have commented upon in the series entitled ,
"Hari KaambhOji Songs of St. ThyagarAjaa" housed
in the Bhakthi archives.

Bhaavam: lamentation over the Lord's Trails & Tribulations:

Oh Raamaa! You are described as the AntharAthmA , who abides
lovingly in all beings , from the tiny ant to the mighty
ThrimUrthis . How come then You do not respond to my sufferings
and do not take the initiative to protect me from all
these sorrows generated from not having Your darsanam ?
Have I done anything wrong? I have not borrowed money
and accumulated debt from anyone so that they condemn me ;
I have not been guilty of arrogance and thus recieved poeple's
condemnation. Why this Sodhanai?

Krithi 2: DhEnukA Raagam-- Teliyaleru Raama!

Mood: asadh Bhakthi GarhaNam( condemnation of defective devotion)

Oh RaamA! Poli BhaagavathAs will never know the path of
Bhakthi maargam ; they will only roam around and dream about
being the followers of sadh Bhakthi . They have the sole goal
to earn money ; they wake up in the morning , pretend to be
pious men , bathe early , smear their bodies with vibhUthi
and count their fingers to perform japam !

This is a moving song sung wiht feeling for the fake
BhAgavathAs and their deceptions. Swamy implies
that route is not for him .

Krithi 3: Needu charaNamulE: Simmendhra Madhayamam

This is a song made popular by Late SrI Ariyakkudi
and his disciple , Late Sri K.V. NarAyana swaamy .
Some think that this may not be a true composition of
the Saint .

I do not have quick access to the Krithi text since I gave away
two volumes of Saint ThyagarAja Krithis to a devotee to,
recognize his generous support for the MahA SamprOkshaNam
of Lord RanganAthA temple in new York.

This krithi is a moving one about the Helplessness of
the devotee (SwamigaL) in the context of utter dependence
of the devotee on the Lord and His KaaruNyam.

Krithi 4: Durmaargachara /Ranjanai Raagam

Mood: arTa-Kaama GarhaNam/Condemnation of material
wealth and sensory pleasures in practise of VairAgyam.

Oh Lord , who is the embodiment of Righteousness (DahrmA )!
Oh Lord, who is the conferrer of all the riches !You alone
are my preosperity and wealth and You alone are my God.
It is not possible for me to flatter wicked people , who
dedicate the talent that you gave them to despicable persons
and salute them as " You are my Lord ".

here, the Sadhguru condemns those , who perform Nara sthuthi.

Krithi 5: Raaraa maayiNDi dhAka --AsAvEri Raagam
Long krithi with 3 charanams.

Mood: Authsukyam ( wonder-mixed aanandham at the darsanam
of the Lord after his brother had thrown the Aaradhana Moorthy,
Raamachandran in the floods of river Cauvery. Saint ThyagaraajA
learns from the Lord as to where He is and retrieves HIM
and welocmes the Lord back to his house to accept worship).

Oh RaghuveerA! Oh the wealth of ThyagarAjA ! I beg You
to come to my house ! I prostrate before You ! Please
bless me with Your anugraham by returning after this separation.
I have been vainly searching for You and could not bear
the sorrowful separation from You. Pray, do accept my invitaion
to come home today in all Your gloryand majesty. My life's
purpose is to implore You every morning to instrcut me ,
to have the soubhAgyam of darsanam of Your beautiful face,
to stand by Your side and offer shOdasOpachArams during
the AaarAdhanam and to become blessed by You. With mahA
VisvAsam , I have thrown myself at Your feet and consider
You as my Rakshakan. You can not ever forget this and
stay away form me .Please come !

Krithi 6: Intakanna-yaanandha mEmi?/Bilahari

Mood: Sung with aanandhAm in practise of Naadha Yogam

Oh people of the world! Is there any bliss that is greater
than this-- to recognize that it is sufficent to dance ,
to sing divine dhivya naamAs of the Lord , to pray for
His darsanam and to be engaged in dhyAnam about Him
in one's mind, to deem it sufficent to forget
oneself (body and senses )at the mere chanting of His
sacred names and to become one with Him (tanmayathvam)--
and to realize at the times of worship and dhyAnam that
He is the whole universe (CharAchArAthmakan)? This is
the experience of all good souls .

Krithi 7 : You have written "Rammu " in AtANA raagam.
I do not recognize your abbreviated reference (Rammu )
for the krithi in AtANA .

There is a raminjuvArEverurA in raagam SupOshiNi.

The 13 AtANA krithis that I know are the two ThiruvayyARu
sthala Krithis, Bhajana sEya radhA ? , MummUrtthulu
gumigoodi ,KaDDu jEsinAvu, Naaradha Gaana lOla !,
yE paapamu jEsithirA ! , yEla nee dahyaraadhu
(Baala Kanakamaya ), aDDA Bhalukudhu viDDU bhalukudhu,
anupama guNAmbhudhi, cEDE buddhi maanurA ,Raa raa RaghuveerA ,
and SrIpapriya SangithOpAsana chEyavE .

Krithi 8: BanDu reethi koluviyyavayya Raama /HamsanAdham

Mood: Daasyam/Servitude to the Lord

In this krithi , Sadhguru SwamigaL prays to His Master,
Raamachandran for the boon of Kaimkaryam to Him as His
true servant freed from lust , arrogance , pride and
other blemishes. He wants to wear the livery (badge)
as Raama Bhakthan having horripulated hair as his
armour and Raama naamam as his sword to strike
taamasa and RajO guNams that interfere with true
Bhakthi.

Krithi 9: Niravati /RavichandrikA Raagam

I guess you are referring to Niravadhi sukha daayakA
Krithi. Again , I do not have the text of the Krithi
available to comment. I regret therefore that I can
comment on it today.

With best wishes for a good celebration ,
V.Sadagopan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
oppiliappan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com